How to set shipping rates to canada, us or other countries?

kiezha
Community Member

How to set a shipping rates to canada, us and or other countries? Im a newbie here trying to sell new trendy clothings

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How to set shipping rates to canada, us or other countries?

Start at the local PO and ask for a current rate  card.

Prices changed as of Jan 16, 2016.

That really only covers Letter and Light Packet, so go to Canada Post's website

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

and start playing around with dimensions and weights.

USE METRIC MEASUREMENTS. Canada Post went metric in 1974. Anything else is guesswork.

Most parcel rates include tracking/Delivery Confirmation.

At first, using the default Simplified Sell Your Item form, you will only be able to ship to Canada and the USA. This feels annoying, but really it's a Good Thing.

Don't put too many restrictions on your shipping.

PO boxes are very secure. Military (APO MPO) and diplomatic (Box 500)  addresses are too.

If you have specific problems, come back and ask.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

There was a question from a newbie seller.

I answered it (above) but the actual question has disappeared.

Cue theme from Twilight Zone.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

<<There was a question from a newbie seller.

I answered it (above) but the actual question has disappeared.

Cue theme from Twilight Zone.>>

Yes, there is something weird going on here today.  Someone else (can't remember where) said his post did not appear, 

and I tried to answer someone and my post vanished instantly.  Thinking it didn't "take", I posted again.   And again, 

believing I must have pressed a wrong button.

If this glitch ever clears up, there will be 3 identical posts from me all in a row.  *Groan*   

Well, no luck with my auctions so it's time I had a nice cup of tea. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@kiezha wrote:

How to set a shipping rates to canada, us and or other countries? Im a newbie here trying to sell new trendy clothings

Depends what you are selling: size and weight. Depends where you are. Depends on the exchange rate.

In excess of 50% of eBay listings are "free" shipping. I roll the cost into my listing and price match with the high price sellers. This strategy works for me.

Should I be charging, all figures in US Greenbacks:

To Canada:          0-1K $11 US      1K+  $15

To USA                0-250grams $8          251-500  $11          501-1K $16     1K+ $20

to world                0-250$11                  251-500  $18          501-1K $38

I have not had a listing plus shipping in a year, I do shipping cost included.

My sales, approx, are 3% Canada, 5% World, 92% US.  My CDN sales have always been about 3% no matter what I do. Not worth the effort customizing for such a small number.

Better still, where is your market? Adapt your strategies to where you are selling to.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I think that you need to do some shopping on ebay before you sell. People are wary about buying from a zero feedback seller. Plus, buying a few items would give you a better idea of how things work.

Shipping is a huge topic and there are many posts on the boards about it that you can look at. You should also go to the Canada Post website and look at the different options available. As Femme says if you are using regular or expedited parcel within Canada, it has tracking. But if you use small packet USA to the USA, there is no tracking but many Canadian sellers do not use tracking outside of Canada unless the item is fairly expensive. Tracking outside of Canada is expensive.

You also need to look at other listings in your category to see how sellers list similar things. For example, you title is 'Dress' If I search fro dress on ebay.ca, i get just about 4 million listings. What do you think the chances are that someone will see your one listing out of 4 million?

Most people shop using some sort of description to narrow down the number of results. Your title needs to be more descriptive so that your listing is more easily found.

I don't sell clothing so I"m not that good at clothing titles but you might want to put something like -

Chiffon Wrap V Neck Dress Belted

If there was just one color you would put the color in the title

If there was just one size, you could put the size in the title.

It's confusing because In your specific details you have sizes s, m and L but in your description you state one size, free size. I have no idea what free size means but it can't be both s, m or large and one size.

The way you have your listing set up is actually not allowed. You need to have either separate listings for separate colors OR one multi variation listing so that the buyer can order that particular color at the time they order. You also need to set up the various sizes too so that the buyer can choose their color and size. (assuming it isn't just one size)

You also need to have specific measurements in your listing. A Korean small dress or even a Korean one size dress is not going to be the same size as a North American small or one size dress.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Normally, I don't think that it is a good idea for a brand new seller to put flat rate shipping on their items as they have no idea what actual shipping costs. 

'I have not had a listing plus shipping in a year, I do shipping cost included."

I'm not sure what you mean by that as you currently have close to 200 listings with a separate shipping cost.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Normally, I don't think that it is a good idea for a brand new seller to put flat rate shipping on their items as they have no idea what actual shipping costs. 

'I have not had a listing plus shipping in a year, I do shipping cost included."

I'm not sure what you mean by that as you currently have close to 200 listings with a separate shipping cost.

Leftover listings from before I was converted plus a few multiples where shipping included did not work.

For single widgets, USA and Canada shipping has been 100% for better part of a year now. Anything under 500 grams is free worldwide.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

but in your description you state one size, free size.

And for us more generously proportioned ladies, "one size fits all" means 'Not you fattie."

But I'm not bitter. Ice cream understands.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The Mrs was the size she is when I met her. She is lactose intolerant so she can't have real ice cream. I buy her the fake stuff because she won't buy it herself. She has yet to say "no". I understand.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

thanks for the nice answer. Im here in canada and thinking to sell online again just like im doing when i was still in the philippines. That is why i dont know how to start.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for the advice. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply