I am a seller and PayPal is holding funds for a completed transaction

Hello, thank you for any help you may be able to give me.  I am in Canada (B.C.) and at the end of April sold a set of nesting boxes to a person in Ontario.  They were sent via regular parcel, which means there is no tracking number.  The person received their item and left me good feedback.  Now, several weeks later, PayPal has forfeited my account, saying they are holding funds for this transaction (about $35), because the credit card company is saying it was an 'Unauthorized Payment'.  Now PayPal wants proof that I sent the parcel!  There is no tracking number, this just seems SO unfair, the transaction is complete, and they have taken my money!!  What can I do?? I am ready to quit selling on eBay because of this, on top of other ways I have lost money for no good reason.  Thank you for any help here.  Very frustrated.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, if you don't have delivery confirmation (or proof of shipping in the case of a cc chargeback) there is a risk that a buyer will make a claim but for most sellers, that doesn't happen very often.

But in your case, regular parcel does have delivery confirmation so there should be a tracking/delivery confirmation number on the receipt from the post office..

If you don't have the receipt, you could phone the buyer or send them an email asking about the chargeback and if there is a problem with the item. In some cases they legitimately have forgotten about the purchase & just need a reminder.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Unfortunately, if you don't have delivery confirmation (or proof of shipping in the case of a cc chargeback) there is a risk that a buyer will make a claim but for most sellers, that doesn't happen very often.

But in your case, regular parcel does have delivery confirmation so there should be a tracking/delivery confirmation number on the receipt from the post office..

If you don't have the receipt, you could phone the buyer or send them an email asking about the chargeback and if there is a problem with the item. In some cases they legitimately have forgotten about the purchase & just need a reminder.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

you can also tell Paypal that the person has left feedback which means they did receive the item however since they are saying unauthorized payment it could mean they used a credit card from someone else.  I had a buyer in Turkey use his aunt's credit card and even though she okayed the transaction  paypal held the funds because the name was different than the account that bought the item.  His aunt called them and confirmed that she allowed the payment.  It did take a couple of weeks to get it all sorted out. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

This is one reason sellers encourage each other to use PP shipping labels.

The number on the label is your Delivery Confirmation number.

However, if you ship at the PO counter, as stated, the cash register tape wll give you the Canada Post transaction number, which is also your DC number.

Give the number to Paypal and they will void the charge against you.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply