what do I do if a buyer says he never recieved his item

I am the seller and have shipped an item via canada post mail requested by the buyer to ship that way because of the cost. Now he has informed me he hasn't recieved it what is the protection for me as the seller and what do I do.  I have contacted canada post about the situation but we all know how long that takes.  Does he get a refund.  I am also out the item which can't be replaced.  Are there any suggestions out there.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Which way did you ship it? "Canada Post Mail" can mean a lot of things. Did you have insurance on it? Was it tracked?

If the buyer is saying they did not get it, you would need to show some proof of delivery (Tracking Number). If you do not have a tracking number you would have to eventually refund. That's the risk of selling online.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks for the response, the buyer had asked me to send it the cheapest way which was lettermail. Of course lettermail has no tracking. I had told the buyer this but he had said send it out anyway. Without tracking it falls on the seller to refund. How are we protected if a buyer states he didn't receive his item, but has also asked to send it out the cheapest way possible without tracking. Who is liable? How do we know he hasn't received it anyways. I have had other items lost or not recieved this one is just 25 miles from me, it gets frustrating when it always falls on the seller. Canada Post has been notified but what they do about lost mail, you might as well say good-bye to your item.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply