I had a case open for non-payment

This buyer did not pay nor did he/she respond to my messages.  I have received my ebay fee credit on this transaction.  My understanding is that a non-payment notice would be placed on the account by Ebay.  However the account still has 2 positive feedbacks with no negative.  How can I leave negative feedback on this account for non payment?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Sellers have been unable to leave negative feedback for buyers for a few years now.  An unpaid item strike will be placed on the non-paying buyer's account but only eBay can see it.  When the buyer racks up enough of them (anybody's guess how many eBay will allow them) then eBay may give them a warning and/or restrict or suspend the account.

Put the buyer on your blocked bidder's list.  At the very least he/she won't be able to buy from you again.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Giving bad feedback  could risk further action from dead beats, best just to block. It takes only a few seconds to register a new account.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

No you can't leave negative or neutral feedback for the deadbeat.

And he can't leave you feedback either.

The Strike is not public, but if you go to your Seller Preferences you can add an automatic Block on bidders who have Strikes. This will prevent a lot of grief in future.

And on behalf of your fellow sellers, thank you for giving the deadbeat a Strike.

Well, we may not have parted on best o' terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also, certain... bullets.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

And on behalf of your fellow sellers, thank you for giving the deadbeat a Strike.

Well .... I had a buyer in October. 18 days - no payment. Unfortunately, I didn't open a "not paid" case.

Finally, I got the payment. Today, the buyer opened an "item not received" case .....   Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

It must be after the time limit for cases? Ebay allows  cases to be opened after the time limit but I don't think that they allow them to be escalated.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It must be after the time limit for cases? Ebay allows  cases to be opened after the time limit but I don't think that they allow them to be escalated.

They are some new rules, but I didn't bother to read. I think they have now 180 days to open, or so.

The buyer bought the item on Oct 27, then sent the payment on November 13. The case has been opened today. It says that the buyer can escalate it after Jan 07.

I had 11 INR cases last 12 months. A little bit too much... All buyers finally got their packages, but the defects are still there (of course).... Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

The 180 day claim rule isn't retroactive and didn't start on Paypal.com until Nov 18th and starts on Canadian Paypal this month. As far as I know, the only Paypal site that started that rule earlier is the UK site.

However, I think that if the buyer was trying to pull a fast one they would have put in a claim much sooner so chances are good that they really didn't get the item imo.

Also, I believe that if the claim is after 30 days, there is no defect BUT I'm not certain that's correct,  when it started or where it applies.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

However, I think that if the buyer was trying to pull a fast one they would have put in a claim much sooner so chances are good that they really didn't get the item imo.

Also, I believe that if the claim is after 30 days, there is no defect BUT I'm not certain that's correct,  when it started or where it applies.

I am sure the buyer really didn't get the item. But I had some bad feeling about the transaction since the beginning, so I should have cancel it for "non-paying". The buyer is from Argentina, a country with not really a reliable postal service, I suppose. 

I still didn't get the defect for that transaction - I think it will appear later, after the case is resolved.

I am not really complaining here. I posted that because I find it surprising, that some sellers have problem with a "case open for non-payment" Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

You shouldn't get a defect in this case because the buyer is in Argentina.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2014/12/16/7660/

I don't have a problem with opening a non payment claim and I'm not usually as patient as you were but some sellers do prefer to wait even longer.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You shouldn't get a defect in this case because the buyer is in Argentina.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2014/12/16/7660/

I don't have a problem with opening a non payment claim and I'm not usually as patient as you were but some sellers do prefer to wait even longer.

WOW! This is something completely new to me! Thank you for sharing! Smiley Happy

Concerning the non-payment cases - I am usually also less patient and open the case usually after 7-10 days, depending on the buyer's profile. My record shows 40 non-payment cases opened during last 18 months.  Non-paying bidders are annoying, but I don't consider them as being a major problem.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Well the jury might still be out on this, I had an INR from Brazil, which is on the list. At the moment, it is on my defect count, however it is not showing in the report. Having said that in the past I've noticed it sometimes takes a lot longer before I can see it in the report. I also may see it disappear from the defect list on the 20th if they clean that stuff up at reporting time. Time will tell.....
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

You may have written about this before and I've forgotten but when was item for the buyer in Brazil purchased? Was it before the date of the Canadian or U.S. announcements of this feature? If it was after, you might want to make a call to customer service.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Hi PJ! Hmmm maybe I misread the announcement. What does Nov 5 mean? I interpreted it that any INRs received after Nov 5th were exempted (regardless when the item was sold).

Based on your answer, it looks like another interpretation is that the item had to be sold after Nov 5th?

The 2nd interpretation would answer my issue as the item was sold October 22nd.....INR received in Decmber....
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Double hmmmm....Actually I hadn't really thought about it in that sense.

In your case I thought that if the claim was made before the Dec 16th  Canadian board announcement then it might not qualify.

They are marketing this as an incentive for sellers to sell internationally, so it might only be for transactions after a specific date but I honestly don't know.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

I had 11 INR cases last 12 months. A little bit too much... All buyers finally got their packages,

Since you use a posting ID, we can't see your listings to make suggestions about that.

But one immediate thought is that you are using Surface shipping overseas. As you now  know, that is an expensive error.

If the buyer can't afford Air Mail, he can't afford your product.

Some sales are just not worth having.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Hi Pj! Triple Hmmmm! I forgot that the Canadian announcement was later... however the Brazil INR "Case" date was December 27 so it was ok for that if one goes by the case date instead of the sale date.... I'll watch what happens when the reporting is completed, my suspicion is that it will be adjusted then, if it is adjusted at all.....
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I had 11 INR cases last 12 months. A little bit too much... All buyers finally got their packages,

Since you use a posting ID, we can't see your listings to make suggestions about that.

But one immediate thought is that you are using Surface shipping overseas. As you now  know, that is an expensive error.

If the buyer can't afford Air Mail, he can't afford your product.

Some sales are just not worth having.

No, I never use surface - it's a real business killer. I don't really expect any suggestions, because nothing can be done. It sometimes happens, that's all. Almost all INR came from US.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Between the negative feedback and the lost payments, Surface shipping is a horrorshow.

So my other suggestion, since tracking seems to be too expensive for your items, whatever they are, is to add a few pennies in Cookie Jar Insurance to every Shipping and Handling fee and when an INR comes in, just pay it and request repayment 'when' the item arrives.

And then don't worry about the truth or falsehood of the claims. (Well, there is a Blocked Buyers List available.)

Some sellers report that they actually make money on Cookie Jar Insurance.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for your advices.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply