I have a pocket watch that is signed A Morphy and company , Is there anyone that would have any info

can1115
Community Member

looking for info on A morphy & co , london Ontario , I have a pocket watch from the early 1900's that is signed by them , any info is appreciated

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: I have a pocket watch that is signed A Morphy and company , Is there anyone that would have any

I have looked in my history books on London and cannot find that name. Is it Morphy or Murphy? Often stores in most cities and small towns back in their day sold watches with their names on the face but they never made the actual watch or the internal workings which often came from either England, the US, or Switzerland. If you are looking for further information I'd suggest the London Archives (sometimes called the London Room) at the University of Ontario.

Best of luck.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: I have a pocket watch that is signed A Morphy and company , Is there anyone that would have any

some google results...

www.huroneast.com/index.php?sltb=heritage&loc=40

...September of 1877, they advertised a new practical watchmaker, Mr. F. Crake, who “having learned the trade thoroughly in England, and for nearly six years past have worked in the establishment of A. Morphy, London, Ontario, is sufficient to recommend that full satisfaction can be given in any description of work.”

http://archive.org/details/londondirec190900vernuoft

Vernon's City of London, street, alphabetical, business and miscellaneous directory 1909-10

Morphy A & Co, jwlrs, 178 Dundas

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Some more details...

The Montreal Gazette, December 30, 1910 -- Obituaries

London, Ont., December 29 -- London today lost it's pioneer jeweller, in the person of Andrew Morphy, who died at the age of 96 years. Mr. Morphy came from Ireland to Canada in 1836, and settled in Little York (Toronto), taking part in the troubles which took place in 1837. He came to London in 1853 and founded the jewellery business, still continued under his name.

Store front shown in this photo from the mid-1880's
http://images.ourontario.ca/london/72401/data?n=11

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

They did not make the watches, they only imported them under licence and put their own name on the watch face. Your should check the movement to see who it is made by, some of their movements are quite valuable.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

kylarozma
Community Member

I recently inherited a gold necklace watch from a family member in London, Ontario. I just had the watch removed from the locket as it's very heavy and I wanted to wear the locket without the weight of the watch. The back of the internal components are engraved "A Morphy & Co London, ONT"  1974895.  It would seem unlikely to spend time engraving your company information on the inside of a watch that will never be seen by it's wearer if the company didn't actually make the internal components. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply