I met Hal

He is in charge of North America.

He says CDN sellers do 50% within Canada.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

I met Hal

"He says CDN sellers do 50% within Canada."

Do you believe him?

Have you asked the same question to Andrea, Russ, Mat, etc...?

Message 2 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

In a good month - not the summer - I maybe have 20% of sales to Canadians.

I would like to see proof of his "50%" claim.

Who else have you met?

Message 3 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

That fits with what I see.

Message 4 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

I believe it, could have believed it was more then that,  becuase a lot of the biggest in Canada are Canada sales only or might as well be.   Not sure if "50%" means by $s or items, but it would take a pile of itnernational sales to offset this seller 191497085385 domestic sales  alone  

Message 5 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Pierre, I have not met the CDNs yet.

I was lost and saw some guy in an eBay shirt. I commanded him to take me to where the conference is. We talk, and then he tells me who he is.

Super nice guy,

Photobucket
Message 6 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@mr.elmwood wrote:

He is in charge of North America.

He says CDN sellers do 50% within Canada.

His comment is too vague.  Does he count ALL sellers including those who ship ONLY within Canada like the above one mentioned whose product is only suitable to Canadians?  A reasonably high-volume seller who only ships within Canada will skew the distribution.  Does the total he uses mean those Canadian registered sellers who ship to North America?  A seller who ships to North America only  may have about 50-50 in sales.  Someone who ships Worldwide may have only a small portion of their sales go to Canadian addresses.  Alot will depend on what the sellers sells.

I'm sure Hal means well, I just don't believe him, not if he wants to apply his statement to ALL of Canada ALL the time. 

Message 7 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.59.57 PM.png

No Feedback Left for Others.

Ask your new friends if this is truly coming down the pike, or merely a glitch.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?%2Fpl%2F2016%2F7%2F1469539781.html

Message 8 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@i.am.vivian wrote:

I'm sure Hal means well, I just don't believe him, not if he wants to apply his statement to ALL of Canada ALL the time. 

Well, if he's just going by a calculation of a mathematical average, all it takes is a small handful of Canadian sellers who sell high volumes within Canada to skew the average.  There would be nothing false in his statement if it's based on that.  

As others have suggested, we need a bit more context for this statement.  There was another HAL who meant well who ended up killing most of a spacecraft's crew because of the way he was programmed to deal with the information he received.  Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@marnotom! wrote:
Well, if he's just going by a calculation of a mathematical average, all it takes is a small handful of Canadian sellers who sell high volumes within Canada to skew the average.  There would be nothing false in his statement if it's based on that.  

I never said it was false, only that it was too vague.  Probably just a friendly comment to a fellow eBayer at the conference. Because just by itself there is too much unanswered, like I pointed out in my post.  

@marnotom! wrote:
As others have suggested, we need a bit more context for this statement.  There was another HAL who meant well who ended up killing most of a spacecraft's crew because of the way he was programmed to deal with the information he received.  Smiley Tongue

Context matters, yes.   🙂  

Message 10 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

they probably  asked the same group of people as they did about reverting to canada $$$$, because your sales will go up..still waiting??

Message 11 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@i.am.vivian wrote:

I never said it was false, only that it was too vague.  

I never said you said it was false.  Smiley Very Happy  However, you also said that you didn't believe him and then something about the fact that a statement like that should "apply to all of Canada all of the time."  I'm not sure how a statement like that could apply only halfways, but you're definitely right about it being vague.  We don't even know if he's referring to dollar amounts or just the number of sales.

Anyway, most of you have probably seen this or something similar to it, but in case you haven't.  . .

http://for-business.ebay.com/get-know-hal-lawton-senior-vice-president-ebay-north-america

Message 12 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Thanks for the link. I'd read it before; it was good to review.

How many people are e-ttending the conference from home tomorrow?
Message 13 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@marnotom! wrote:
you also said that you didn't believe him and then something about the fact that a statement like that should "apply to all of Canada all of the time."  I'm not sure how a statement like that could apply only halfways, but you're definitely right about it being vague.  We don't even know if he's referring to dollar amounts or just the number of sales.

Oh, so now you're trying to should on me.   🙂  

Hal said: CDN sellers do 50% within Canada.  I don't believe Hal, not unless he can clarify.  

Message 14 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

What's there to believe or not believe?  Like you said, it's a vague statement.  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

How about this.

All of you who are doubters, show up at the conventions and ask direct face to face questions?

Can't is another word for won't.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

I don't think it's as matter of doubters.  It's just that we have a hard time accepting the statement "CDN sellers do 50% within Canada" because we don't know what this 50% is and how it was calculated.  As it stands, it's pretty meaningless.

Are you quoting him verbatim, Mr Elmwood, or did you inadvertently use a bit of verbal shorthand?

Message 17 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@marnotom! wrote:

I don't think it's as matter of doubters.  It's just that we have a hard time accepting the statement "CDN sellers do 50% within Canada" because we don't know what this 50% is and how it was calculated.  As it stands, it's pretty meaningless.

Are you quoting him verbatim, Mr Elmwood, or did you inadvertently use a bit of verbal shorthand?

Word for word.

You have to be here to get all of this. This is so not the Donahoe administration. Those people and their mindsets are all gone.

Wenig is pushing an agenda every seller wants to see pushed. The Structure Data presentation by Amit was amazing.

This is not the eBay of just one year ago.

Photobucket
Message 18 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

So I've been away for a bit. Who's Hal?

Message 19 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

There's a link earlier in this thread which answers your question very well.
Message 20 of 75
latest reply