I really hate how sellers...

meetreez
Community Member

Don't give you a rating, until you give them a review! My review of the seller should have nothing to do with the rating they bestow upon me. If I make use of good communication skills with my seller, and make payments immediately - that's all my rating should be based upon. I'm new to eBay and have only made a few purchases thus far, but every single person whom I've bought something from would refuse to give me a rating until I would submit a review. It's a little bit childish, if you ask me...

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: I really hate how sellers...

I totally agree with your comments.

There is no logical reason for eBay sellers not to give positive feedback for buyers immediately upon receipt of payment.  It is their way to say "thank you".

However, the feedback system on eBay is voluntary and both buyers and sellers are free to use it as they see fit.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The deal is not over till the buyer is happy. They signal that with FB.

Immediately after payment you have no idea what the buyer will be like.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Exactly, the feedback on the entire transaction should be given when the buyer and seller is satisfied with their purchase and sale. If the buyer is not satisfied, arrangements are made for return, exchange or money to be sent back etc. Only after all is said and done should feedback be added as to how the whole transaction was handled.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I agree with everybody.

Feedback is voluntary.

Sellers can only leave positive feedback, so some hold back so as not to 'reward' difficult customers.

Sellers can only leave positive fb, so the seller might as well leave it early to encourage the customer to do the same.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

THIS IS BECAUSE WE NEED YOUR RATINGS-TO UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION WHICH MANY BUERS DO NOT, PLEASE READ MY RECENT POSTINGS ABOUT FEEDBACK AND IT'S IMPORTANCE- ALSO LETS SAY IN LEAVE YOU A 5 STAR RATING BEFORE YOU RESPOND-IF YOU DO AT ALL-AND YOU LEAVE ME A NEGATIVE, NOW WHAT? JUST THINK ABOUT IT. DON

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

As for sellers to leave feedback to their buyers right away after the payment is anyone's decisions.

As for me I prefer to wait until I hear from my buyers that everything is okay before leaving them feedback.  Too often, they don't bother leaving us feedback which is okay and they don't get their feedback either.

Many buyers told me that they don't have time to sit and post feedback to their sellers, all they care is to search they need to buy and then pay for them and that is it.  Some of them don't believe the feedback as they felt it is unfair especially with these horrible unfair policies eBay have invested which caused grief too many sellers and also at the same time encourage buyers to hurt sellers so horrible.  So either way, the feedback policy stink in a big way.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Since I joined ebay in 2011, I would say the majority of sellers leave feedback (I guess a lot are just automatic) as soon as I pay.  Only very few don't, but that doesn't bother me at all - they do when I do.  This isn't a big deal to me whatsoever.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually no feedback is better than neutral or negative feedback.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Feedback is entirely voluntary.

All feedback received by buyers will be positive. Feedback for buyers is really just egoboo, the equivalent of a salesclerk's 'Have a nice day.'

While feedback is entirely voluntary, eBay uses FB and detailed seller ratings to decide what a seller pays in fees and whether she is allowed to continue to sell on eBay.  So both are very important to sellers.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I am new to eBay. My thoughts are as soon as my purchases go through I am closing the account.
Seems everywhere I turn someone is trying to steal monies. I have had someone cancel and order (very nicely) but not cancel the payment. I have bought counterfeit items and when I try to return them I get **bleep** on by the seller and eBay seems to not give one **bleep** about this kind of activity.
Very angry, this is the **bleep**tiest online place to shop. Nothing is real adverts are false, too much trickery. Was buying nails for a while but everything expect a few brands were total trash and lasted less than a day. Then I bought some clothing items and all went to hell.
This is bull**bleep**.
As a buyer you have no rights

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

A quick look at your feedback indicates that well more than 95% of your purchases were inexpensive items from China, Malaysia and Singapore.  A few items were Chinese in origin, but listed as being located in UK and USA.  You have made a fairly large number of purchases in a short time, and I'm sure you have not received quite a few of them yet.  Perhaps you have been excited by the low prices.

If you want quality nails, clothing, etc., expect to pay reasonable prices for them.  Items that sell for a dollar or two with free shipping are not going to be worth any more than that.  What would you expect to be able to buy for a dollar in Canada?

eBay is an open marketplace, meaning anyone can try selling here.  If you are looking for the cheapest price, thinking to get a great bargain, think again - you only get what you pay for, as you have discovered.  Caveat emptor is a Latin term that means "let the buyer beware." Similar to the phrase "sold as is," this term means that the buyer assumes the risk that a product may fail to meet expectations or have defects.

For successful buying on eBay, you need to understand the rules of the marketplace, including your rights and responsibilities as a buyer, exactly what the seller's responsibilities are, how returns are handled, how to check your PayPal account to see that a cancelled order is refunded, how to contact eBay Customer Service about concerns, etc. etc.  You should also be checking the feedback of each seller before you commit to a purchase from them - this includes reading the negative feedback to understand why other buyers were not happy with their purchases.  This, along with learning to recognize the level of quality that is satisfactory to you, will help you to make informed buying decisions.  Good luck with this.

If you think eBay is the worst online place to shop, I would be interested to know what other sites you have been buying from, at similar prices, that are more satisfactory.   

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hear hear, maggie. Well said. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I have had someone cancel and order (very nicely) but not cancel the payment.

In that case you open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

It suggests that you contact the seller. Don't, just ask eBay to step in and get your refund.

I have bought counterfeit items

I have found that my best strategy for avoiding this, beyond the 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is' that your mother taught you, is to change my Search from Best Match or Lowest Price First to  Highest Price plus Shipping First.

Rather than slogging through thousands of misdescribed, dollar store, counterfeit and irrelevant listings, I can then drill down quickly to my price point through a few dozen or at most hundred items.

and when I try to return them

EBay will not make a he said/she said decision. The policy is that to get a refund on an unwanted item, you must return the unwanted item. While eBay will insist that the seller pay for return shipping, eBay cannot understand that this is not possible in international transactions.

When buying cheap gimcracks from overseas, assume that part of the cost will be throwing away any that prove to be garbage.

Here are the shipping rates for returning parcels.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

As a buyer you have no rights

Both eBay and Paypal have strong Buyer Protection policies.

EBay allows Disputes for Not Received and for Not As Described for up to 30 days after the last estimated date of delivery.

Paypal allows them for 180 days after payment.

Both do require some effort on the part of the buyer.

The buyer can also leave Feedback for 60 days after purchase  and Responses to Feedback indefinitely.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Necro -thread from 2014.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply