I've been removing listings..

In preparation for selling the house and moving to BC, I have been taking down most of my book listings.

I've gone from about 1600 listings to under 600, leaving mostly the patterns and postcards.

The Friends of the Library Bookstore now has about 45 boxes of mostly vintage science fiction paperrbacks.

However.

About half of the titles I checked before de-listing turned out not to be listed at all!!

I know eBay tells us when an item has been unsold for 16 months, but before they instituted that program, were they delisting items without telling sellers at all?

Books are slow sellers in many cases, and I am quite happy to leave them up until sold. And pay for the listing.

I like the 16 month warning. It makes purchasing stock better.

But the dropped listings don;'t seem to have any consistency. There were listed books that had been up since 2007. And some from a large purchase in 2012 that were up and some from the same purchase that were not.

Anyone else noticed this? It would affect those with large stocks and fairly steady sales, since those with only a couple of hundred items would be able to see the problem more easily.

And off-topic, anyone in the Ottawa area need fourteen bookcases?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I randomly delete stuff, so, I am never sure who to blame.

Good luck with that one. When are ya moving? Got yer rose coloured glasses for living in Lotusland?

Photobucket
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Sorry I can't help with the listing issue, but man, oh man, could I use 14 bookcases!  We moved from Victoria 2 years ago with over 1500 books (sent by freight), but the creep who bullied us into a lower price for our Victoria house also got our 12 hand-built, custom-made solid wood bookshelves into the bargain. 

I still haven't really forgiven him for insisting those bookshelves be included in the deal.  They weren't fastened to anything, so could easily have been shipped.  Meanwhile, we still have about 800 books sitting in boxes waiting until we can afford more Ikea shelves. 

Oh well, if I were in Ottawa I'd be there in a flash to help you out with that problem! 

Good luck on your move, and don't forget the fringed hippy cape to go with your rose-coloured glasses. Woman Happy

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You forgot the Hackey Sack Rose.

I think it is a Law to own one on the Island.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If I had the space (soon I hope) I would so be interested in your science fiction books. There are also several bookstores here that specialize in sci fi. White Dwarf being one of them though I'm not sure if they are still around. BC is tough to do business. Welcome! 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You'll have to get to the Ottawa Friends of the Library Bookshop. Back where many came from along with Sally Ann, Vinnie, Sinjin, Willies, and ONS.

(Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul, StJohn's Anglican Thrift Store, Goodwill, and Ottawa Neighbourhood Services.) I'd found the Pandora Street thrifts in Victoria in previous visits.

My house looks so bare! We had 34 pictures hanging in the living room alone. (Mostly 19th century prints of  Parliament Hill and Canadian Politicians) Front hall had 16 paquet boats. Six maps including a Muenster and a Blau in the dining room along with pictures of Solomon Island natives. I don't think there is enough bubblewrap in the world.

DH took 30 banker's boxes from his home office to the shop for auction. I didn't try to count the number of boxes that went for recycling from the same room.

Three thrift store runs with an average of six boxes each time.

There seems to be an echo in here.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Femme, have been just noticing the missing listings in the last day or two? There is a thread on the .com Clothing board where sellers have been noticing a lot of their listings have disappeared starting Wednesday. They seem to be appearing later and in some cases they are there one minute, gone the next, back later. You may want to recheck and make sure they really have gone and haven't reappeared at a later date.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

BB- I don't have a hackey sack, but I think they must be locally sourced to be acceptable.

I do own a pair of Birkenstocks which of course I wear with socks.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

femme: OMG as my daughter would say!!

I checked a few of my "ancient" listings, 2006 - 2010 era stuff, all were still running, but I only had time to check about 10.  I hope they haven't axed any, from time to time these ancient listings sell, just sold one a couple days ago!

Overall, this is really going to be a bad couple months, we've got the PO changes stuff, the WTO (HS tariff code) stuff, your "stamp side" will see all the categories changes coming in the stamp categories too.... and now possibly the discovery of unannounced axed items..... sigh.....

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Smiley Happy Femme.

I was informed by my wife that a certain celebrity that you both enjoy had a birthday yesterday.

I think his initials are NF.

Obviously I cannot look at a Firefly again without a certain reminder.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I'd found the Pandora Street thrifts in Victoria in previous visits.

Two more I can add to your list, that are local Victoria "secrets" -- Sally Ann on Burnside Rd. just before Tillicum, and on Island Highway just past Helmcken.  Both are large, little frequented, and get some very interesting stuff.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

No, I've been noticing this for over a year. I was wondering if eBay used to take down listings automatically and without notice after a certain period.

More recently they have been using the "This item has been listed for over 16 months" note. I found that more helpful.

It's not too important, we have now taken 68 boxes of books to the Friends of the Library. I am down to only four filled bookcases. Of those perhaps 100 titles will go west.

Of course, our personal library, which filled 53 boxes, is in the storage unit until October when they go on the moving truck.

rose-- thank you for the notes. I've also spotted the WIN thrifts and one which seems to be attached to a hospital that has some pretty wealthy donors.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply