ISIS strikes in Canada

valve37
Community Member

Home grown terrorist inspired by ISIS takes up their deadly challenge.

Soldier dies after being run down in suspected terror attack near Montreal

The driver of a car who rammed two Canadian Forces members near Montreal before being shot dead by police was known to counter-terrorism authorities who believed he had become radicalized, the RCMP said on Monday as they continued to investigate the possible terrorist attack.

“This individual was known to federal authorities including our Integrated National Security Investigations team in Montreal who along with other authorities were concerned that he had become radicalized,” the RCMP said in a statement. The force declined further comment.

The 25-year-old, known as Martin “Ahmad” Rouleau, allegedly hit two members of the Canadian Forces as they were walking in a strip mall just outside St-Jean-sur-Richelieu at about 11:30 a.m.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/20/driver-who-ran-into-canadian-soldiers-near-montreal-was-know...

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: ISIS strikes in Canada

First time I've heard that the Assad regime in Syria is in league with ISIL - or did you post this with another reference in mind?

Message 21 of 73
latest reply

"I would put money on it that this is not the first time a Muslim has killed a Canadian .."

One doesn't have to look very far Brand. There have been a few honour killings over the last number of years. Notable was the one that killed three at Kingston. They were found in a car at the bottom of the locks on the Rideau canal system near Kingston. Sharia law. 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 22 of 73
latest reply

Actually there were 4 in that car.
The Shafia Family murders took place on June 30, 2009 in Kingston, Ontario. Shafia sisters Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, along with Rona Amir Mohammed, 50, were found dead inside a car that was discovered underwater in front of the northernmost Kingston Mills lock of the Rideau Canal.
Message 23 of 73
latest reply

What I said in the past threads awhle ago that we open ourselves up for an attack if we decide to join the ISIS war just came true.

Harper is reponsible for that. He also failed to protect its citizens.

He is doubling down on his anti-sunni rhetoric.  The results are clear and quite scary for us Canadians.

The coming election is our only chance and we have to live with the results from this if the conservatives remain in power.

Message 24 of 73
latest reply

Just saw Harper speak on TV to our nation, man he has no aura of political confidence, I just don't think he is a political leader just an ordinary Joe not exceptable to lead,
Canada needs better.
Message 25 of 73
latest reply

Harper made his intent clear prior to ISIS threatening Canada. They don't threaten countries that don't declare war on them. Harper already had his advisors over in Iraq a month prior, made his intentions known,  and had the bombing mission planned and started before a vote was taken in the house. Since he had a majority it really didn't matter. It was just a formality.

Harper asked the U.S. how we could help. He went on T.V. and said they asked us to help. Big difference.

Apparently the U.S. replied and told us how we could help. We, the taxpayer, are not allowed to see what they asked for.

Harper offered 6 CF-18 fighters and Hillary Clinton made a comment that of course they would be happy with anything we offered.

It didn't sound like it was what they asked for.

Think for a moment. A country like the U.S. where one aircraft carrier can hold 60 fighters, along with Australia and the U.K. would need our 6 fighters? When what they really need is food, shelter and medical aid for refugees and those fleeing. Which is what we're good at and could do? Do you really think the U.S. would say we really need your 6 - CF18 fighters?

I don't think they asked for that. I think it's what Harper wanted. This is the same guy that put Canada down for not officially joining the military war in Iraq the first time. The guy that couldn't and didn't see the truth. Now he see's his chance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/canadas-true-role-in-the-mideast-conflict/article2113834...

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 26 of 73
latest reply

amemorial.jpg

Message 27 of 73
latest reply

I think the question we have to ask is:

Would Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and Patrice Vincent be alive today if Canada did not announce it's participation in the military war in Iraq?

Are we now a target because of our gov't's insistence on participating in a war that we have no hope of being a major contributor to?

In other words, are we sacrificing our soldiers ( collateral damage ) to provide support that that we have no impact on?

I understand the arguments. To do nothing militarily means our partners are doing the heavy lifting. But let's be honest.

Canada doesn't have the means to do any heavy lifting. We "do" have the means to do much more. We have the means to help with food, shelter, medical care and water to those that need the help..

This is nothing to be ashamed of by providing humanitarian aid. . It's a major contribution that they're screaming that they need.

Why is our Gov't not offering the help that we can do?

Is it not high profile enough? Is Bombing is the only thing Harper think counts?

I just want to know why innocent people are being killed. From what I've heard so far, it's because of decisions that

Harper made. Not because of decisions anyone else made.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 28 of 73
latest reply

Valve, don't get carried away.

This shooter was Canadian born and raised. He was a consumer of drugs and a dealer of hard drugs. He had mental issues as neighbors and people he knew attested to. He felt that 'devils' were following him. The man was mentally disturbed and probably schizophrenic. He was a joiner and any group would do. It could have been a street gang or a m/c gang it doesn't matter, he wanted his moment of fame and he got it. This isn't an invasion or a planned conspiracy. Relax, go have a coffee (decaf) and listen to some Buddhist chants.  

Photobucket
Message 29 of 73
latest reply

Disisus. You are right it is because of Harper.

This person was known to CSIS and didnt allow him to have a passport. It was a conservatives attempt to stop these guys from going over there to fight. The result?. They are stuck here with us while Harper keeps banging the drums of war.

Message 30 of 73
latest reply

Clearly they needed to do more than just take these peoples' passports away.

What is needed is a more thoughtful approach that includes some sort of "de-radicalization" (I hate the terminology). "Thoughtfulness" however is not a tool in the Harper tool box.

These perpetrators are nothing more than society rejects who 30 years ago would have joined a cult.

Now let's just hope the media can tone down the volume on the drama. It's getting a little over the top.

Message 31 of 73
latest reply

We've been a target for a long long time. Remember the 18 inspired al-Qaeda in the GTA stopped before they could reap havoc. There have probably been others that weren't publicized for security reasons. Here's a reminder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Ontario_terrorism_plot

Here's a few more most lone wolf:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/terrorism-on-canadian-soil-a-partial-list 

Didn't we spend 10 years in Afghanistan fighting al-Quaeda/Taliban? Couldn't have made us too popular.

Didn't we bomb in Kosovo and Libya? Also took part in the Gulf war to free Kuwait from Saddam (56 F18 bombing sorties). Which party authorized those campaigns?

Message 32 of 73
latest reply

I believe the shooter  is 100% responsible, no-one else.

He made the decision to kill an unarmed soldier and to then go on an abortive shooting spree which failed miserably, thank goodness.

We do not take up guns when we don't like our Government's decisions.

We vote.

That's why I moved to Canada. I am in no hurry to blame this on Stephen Harper.  I believe in democracy and not in rule through the fear of a gun.

No one forced this shooter to aim a rifle at a fellow Canadian and shoot him in cold blood.

Anyone who blames this on Stephen Harper is letting this man off the hook, IMO. I won't do that.

Message 33 of 73
latest reply

"Anyone who blames this on Stephen Harper is letting this man off the hook, IMO. I won't do that."

Right on Arlene!

It's the politically motivated NDP and Liberal crowd here that are blaming Harper. Pathetic really in this time of crisis.

Message 34 of 73
latest reply

Arlene.

The shooter is responsible for the act itself but the idea that pushed that shooter to attack canadians falls down on Harper. He made canadians a target for people like him. This is bigger than the incident that happened yesterday. When you threaten to bomb and eliminate a society across the world, this is result.

This attack also happened on his watch.

Message 35 of 73
latest reply

No one is really blaming Harper per se. Not properly dealing with these people under surveillance is just run-of-the-mill incompetance amplified by ever-present budget concerns - could have possibly happened under any prime minister and 100% did happen under Harper.

The point the NDP and Liberals are making, in a somewhat understated way for now, is that for now there is little or no evidence that these acts were related to "terrorism" or "international conspiracy" in any more than an incidental way.

They were criminal acts of marginalized, delusional individuals - just like the Moncton Christian gun fanatic cop killer - and therefore should not be used as excuses to allow further undue government intrusions into Canadians' freedom, privacy and way of life. If we allow them to do that, then the tragic loss of life of this week will have been in vain.

Message 36 of 73
latest reply

@chWould you prefer that  Canadians just stand by abd watfixmusic2013 wrote:

Arlene.

The shooter is responsible for the act itself but the idea that pushed that shooter to attack canadians falls down on Harper. He made canadians a target for people like him. This is bigger than the incident that happened yesterday. When you threaten to bomb and eliminate a society across the world, this is result.

This attack also happened on his watch.

Would you prefer that Canadians just sit idly by and watch ISIL  commit genocide against several cultural groups such as the Kurds ?

Message 37 of 73
latest reply

The left and right all have valid points,just too bad the government can't make any decisions based only on votes.
Message 38 of 73
latest reply

People have to understand Stephen Harper. Technically, he's a nobody. He left a mail room and going from one political party to the next his goal was to take care of himself. Yes, he was even a liberal at one time. He's always wanted to be on the porch with who he considers the 'big dogs' and to flex his military might he feels this will give him credibility. 

Canada had always been known a 'peace' keepers. We were renowned for that until recently. People even from other countries would travel the world and a simple Canadian flag even on a knapsack gave them respect and safety. Not any more. 

Thankfully in the past we had leaders who weighed the facts and did not get us into confrontations we did not belong in, such as Vietnam and Iraq......Iraq by the way who Harper wanted us to also get into. 

We have a chance to put ourselves back to the country that other nations respected, as soon as Harper is out of office and the sooner, the better. 

Photobucket
Message 39 of 73
latest reply

"... the Canadian Lester Pearson, won support for sending a United Nations Emergency Force to the region to separate the warring parties. This gained him the Peace Prize for 1957."

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1957/pearson-facts.html

I miss the "good old days" when Canada and Canadians were standing for peace.

Message 40 of 73
latest reply