If seller cancels order after I've paid do global shipping fees get refunded?

I purchased items recently  that were offered through the Global Shipping program.  The seller contacted me after I paid saying she underestimated the shipping cost and either I had to pay the difference or agree to cancel the sale.  If I had agreed to cancel, would I have received a refund from Pitney Bowes for the Global Shipping fees?  Would this happen automatically?  If not how would I have gone about getting that portion of my payment refunded?  I cannot find an official answer to this anywhere on the site.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Does the seller even know that she is using the Global Shipping Program?

Many sellers don't, since newbies were for a time being automatically enrolled.

She may think she has to ship to you directly, which is expensive*.

She doesn't.

With the Global Shipping Program, she ships to the GPS plant in Kentucky, with cheap domestic Confirmation of Delivery. And there here responsibility to shipping ends.

Does she understand that?

Because if she doesn't, all her domestic rates are wrong.

Get in touch and let her know.

BTW,  you say 'several' items. With the GSP, she cannot combine and discount shipping on multiple purchases.

*She could however, combine all your purchases, re-invoice you through Paypal's Send Money service, and ignore the GSP altogether.

You are protected by PP's Buyer Protection program.

She can ship using USPS First Class International Parcel service, which handles up to 4 lbs of goods and, if purchased online, offers Delivery Confirmation to Canada.

If you had paid and the item was not delivered (because the seller did not ship) you could open an Item Not Received dispute. Then your entire payment would be refunded, through Paypal by the GSP for the portion that went to them and by the seller. If the seller refuses to pay, then PP will refund you and go after her for their money. The GSP is not fast to refund but they do refund.

The question would be what happens if a buyer agrees to a Mutual Cancellation. Usually, we advise buyers not to agree to the MC until they have their refunds. But again the seller never sees the GSP portion so she cannot refund that. Only the  selling price and her domestic shipping charge .

If your communications have been friendly, discuss the alternatives with her.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks for your prompt answer to this. Much appreciated.

So, to clarify, you are saying the only way I could have gotten a complete refund would be to open an Item Not Received dispute; agreeing to a Mutual Cancelation would have meant not getting back the GSP portion of my payment?

The buyer knew to ship to the GPS plant in Kentucky. However she underestimated the cost and requested $1.20 more in payment from me. Not a big deal, but what if the amount requested had been more significant? Should this happen in the future, would the best course of action be to refuse to cancel and then wait and open an Item Not Received Dispute? Can the seller cancel the transaction and refund her portion without my consent. If so what happens in that case to the portion I paid to GPS? I would like to be clear on this as I feel it is highly unethical for sellers to ask for additional payment and a buyer have to agree or lose the GSP portion.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply