If someone gave you a 4 in Shipping & Handling would you ask why?

I figured out who left me a 4 in S&H.  It makes me mad, they left fantastic feedback and a 4 in S&H.  I know that it doesn't make a difference for defects, but it really bugs me.  I spent hours trying to track down who did it.  

I would like to ask the buyer why, also to teach them a little bit about shipping and handling. Not much I can do for myself but for future they will rate sellers more fairly, I hope.  

My email will say something like:

I really appreciate the positive feedback that you gave me.  However I am a little confused about why you rated me a "4" in shipping and handling fees.  I do not change any handling fees in fact I lose $.48 on each shipment.  Is there something I could have done better for you to have rated me a "5"?

Explanation of $2.95 shipping

You paid $2.95 US for shipping.  Ebay and paypal fees take 12% which is .35 which leaves me with $2.60 US x  1.20 (exchange rate) = $3.12 Canadian

Actual shipping is $2.95 + .15 Tax = $3.10 + .50 for the bubble envelope.  Total cost for shipping is $3.60 Canadian.

I lose .48 cents on shipping each time, why would that rate a 4 in shipping and handling.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: If someone gave you a 4 in Shipping & Handling would you ask why?

Do not do this, it is not professional. Just don't.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually we cannot please anyone in any categories or whatever, that is the whole problems on eBay and we have to grin and bear it and hope for the best.

Only when those become sellers, then they will understand but otherwise nothing we can do.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Do not do this, it is not professional. Just don't.

Is it OK to ask what I could do better for my next client to ensure 5 star service?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything because I would never waste my time looking to see if I received a 4!

Nothing worse or less professional than a seller whining "woe is me" to their customers, especially when it's about something completely meaningless.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I block anyone who I know has been fussy or deceptive they can shop elsewhere.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I see absolutely no reason, whatsoever, to block a happy buyer. But gave a slightly lower DSR. This is just not good business. Bad advice.

Be happy with the transaction and move on. The buyer received their item and was happy. No defects, no negs, no refunds...Hopefully they will buy from you again.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

A 4 is nothing to be worried about.

Some buyers only leave a 4  for all ratings.

On today' s eBay... we are allowed to see who left  a low rating... that is less than 5.

and if you cannot figure out why....  it is not necessary to ask the buyer .....Why?

Asking the buyer  that WHY question was not allowed by eBay....  That was before the defect system and today's know it all option....and....  is not necessary today.....

In past years we were able to see who left the low rating  but were not allowed, by eBay,  to ask the buyer... Why?

If the buyer did something that was "totally" unacceptable... then use the ... Report a Buyer ...option...

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

It was bit of tongue in cheek advice, we have option to block, what part of this do you not get again?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

"I would like to ask the buyer why, "

My recollection of the policy is that sellers are NOT allowed to question or communicate with buyers regarding DSRs.  It would be a policy violation to do so.

Also, rules governing sellers do not allow eBay and PayPal fees to be charged to buyers.  They need to be included in the selling price.

" I spent hours trying to track down who did it.  '

Not worth the effort.  Move on.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Please remember to keep the discussion friendly. Hostile comments/interpersonal disputes may result in warnings and/or the thread being locked.

Thank you for helping us keep the boards welcoming for everyone!

LizzieR-CA

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

If the DSR rating you're referring to was for shipping/handling cost, there is even less need to be concerned about it than with the shipping time DSR, since it isn't taken into account as far as your selling rating is concerned. 

I agree with the others here who have said that the best thing to do is just move on.  You are not permitted by eBay to question a buyer about their FB/DSRs in any case.  

And really, what would you learn that would be useful anyway?  It could be that the "4" was a slip of the finger, or it could be that this buyer is always slightly unhappy with paying any shipping at all (since eBay is so heavily promoting free shipping).  If the former, then the DSR can't be revised even if the buyer wanted to (and you'd just make him either embarrassed or angry); if the latter, you already know the buyer was at least "somewhat" unhappy.  Some people are never 100% satisfied.  

The way the DSRs themselves are set out may also be a problem for newer buyers, so that it might not be the buyer's fault at all that he/she chose "4", or they may not realize there is any real difference between 4 and 5.  Some may feel they can stop at the "4" (which says "Satisfied") and that the "5" ("Very Satisfied") is completely nonsensical and redundant -- which in fact it is, if you really think about it!    

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

NO, do not contact re 4 stars.  Move on and just do the best you can on each transaction.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hi Everyone, thanks for all your advice.   I haven't yet decided what I am going to do, if anything. 

On several occasions (about 5 times since DSR came into play) I have been advised by the CSR to contact the buyer directly to find out why they left the DSR rating they did.  I explained that we are not supposed to contact the buyer and they told me I should.  These were all 4's in shipping, either time or S & H.  All of them were 4's and were removed from my account by the CSR.  When you contact ebay, they want you to communicate with the buyer and find out why.  

On one occasion not only did they remove the glowing positive feedback with low DSR from me, but they removed it from every seller she had left feedback for for the last few months.  I guess I was not the only one.  

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

You seriously spent hours trying to track down who left you a 4 star rating? Wow!

People will leave you lower star ratings than what you deserve. People will leave you undeserved Neutrals and Negatives. It happens.

Time is valuable. Spend it on your business trying to increase sales instead of wasting it on pointless stuff like that.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply