Is CanadaPost slacking down ?

I always thought Expedited from Niagara to most urban Ontario is 1 day.

Few days ago I noticed Windsor 2 days and now Toronto 2 days

Tracking # 7210029702552215 - dropped at box yesterday before pickup going from L2G4E2 to M2L2E5

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Is CanadaPost slacking down ?

I thought it was always 1-2 days?
Photobucket
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Actually, Dip, that reminds of a question I asked at the PO. I was asking about mail pick-up times and they were saying that as a cost cutting measure there would be fewer pickups per day, system wide.

My PO is picked-up at about 4:30. The closest mailbox to me is pick-up at about 3.

Expedited, if I am after the pick-up time, then, that automatically adds a day.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Promised delivery standard from L2G4E2 to M2L2E5 is 1 day for Expedited and 3 days for Regular

http://www.canadapost.ca/business/tools/ds/default.aspx?LOCALE=en

I will have to start going to PO and get acceptance scan and start claiming the guarantees because right now I don't usually pay attention unless customer complains.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Guaranteed, or "standard"? Totally different things. I do not believe there is a guaranteed with Expedited, only there delivery standard.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
Guaranteed, or "standard"? Totally different things. I do not believe there is a guaranteed with Expedited, only there delivery standard.

Expedited Parcel service shipping from within Canada to another Canadian destination has always been a guaranteed on-time service.  Ironcially, Expedited Parcel just happens to be late a good 50% of the time if you are shipping within the same region.  From my experience, shipping from places such as Toronto to Burlington and Toronto to Windsor are supposed to be one business day but often (very often) get delivered in 2 business days.  When that happens, shipping costs end up getting refunded if the shipper files a claim.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

L2G4E2 to M2L2E5 is still guaranteed to be delivered within 1 business day by Expedited Parcel. Your package is showing an expected delivery of July 9th because Canada Post scanned your package in late.

With a 10:22am "processed" scan, it's easy to argue this. Quite simply, most mail boxes do not have any pickup that early in the day and for an item be processed at the Canada Post plant, it must have been deposited before the actual scan (meaning it was shipped the day before before cut off).

Sometimes, customer service will deny any service guarantee claims because they will say that you can't prove when you shipped the package. That's when, as the customer, you can say that they can't prove that you missed the previous day's cutoff time and that it is their job to scan the package in immediately when they receive it.

The fact remains that every single time a street mail box is emptied and the contents are collected, that driver has a barcode scanner present and I believe that they scan a barcode label on the inside of the street letterbox to keep track of which pickups have been completed. That Canada Post employee can very easily scan the barcode of your package when removing your package form the street letter box and the package the tracking will show words to the effect of "picked up and en route to postal facility". I have seen that a few times when I have placed parcels into street letter boxes. Unfortunately, most of the time (I would say greater than 99% of the time), the drivers do not individually scan packages in when at the street boxes.

When you use this argument, sometimes, the customer service person will approve the refund and sometimes they won't. It all really depends on the person you get who looks at your late delivery claim.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I am not going to argue this particular one but from now on I am going to drop them at the counter.

Expedited Parcel used to be good and Toronto 1 day even few months ago so I did not pay attention, this extra delay is fairly recent. Next thing, they drop guarantees. I should start using UPS or Puro for regional urban deliveries, similar cost as CanadaPost and much better service.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@dipmicro wrote:

I am not going to argue this particular one but from now on I am going to drop them at the counter.

Expedited Parcel used to be good and Toronto 1 day even few months ago so I did not pay attention, this extra delay is fairly recent. Next thing, they drop guarantees. I should start using UPS or Puro for regional urban deliveries, similar cost as CanadaPost and much better service.

I've found that Expedited Parcel is late on a regular basis, even when dropping packages off at the post office.  Believe it or not, I've noticed that the farther the package has to travel, the more likely it is to be on-time.  But for those regional deliveries that are on one city in Ontario to another, my experiences have been that MOST of them arrive a day late. It's been like that for years, and I've received numerous refunds for Expedited Parcel shipments.  For Expedited Parcel shipments that are quoted as 1 business day, I never expect them to arrive within that time if the delivery is time-sensitive.  I always plan on a taking 2 business days.

As for dropping off at the post office, that doesn't always work either.  The whole idea of pre-printing the labels and bringing them into the post office has partly to do with not needing to line up to ship your packages.  However, if you don't line up, you can't make sure that the employee actually scans the barcode in.  Honestly, some post offices don't bother scanning them in.  And even standing there and watching them do it doesn't ensure it gets done properly.  Some of the employees at the franchised locations don't even know how to do a proper acceptance scan and while the computer makes a beeping sound, they enter your package in as a return to sender shipment or as a mainifest scan that doesn't properly update the guaranteed delivery date.

Also, when dropping a parcel into a street letter box, the package taking a day or two to get scanned in is nothing new.  This happens all the time where I am.  I was informed by customer service that this often happens because sometimes the parcels get thrown into the lettermail bag by the driver and then  often doesn't get sorted until a later time because lettermail isn't a guaranteed service.  And because it gets sorted with the letters, the packages then need to get redirected to the parcel sorting area (sometimes in a different building), essentially adding an extra step in the process causing a delay.  Pretty much it comes down to this:  Packages deposited in a street letter box take longer to get sorted.  If that extra sorting delay causes your package to not get on that evenings truck or plane, your package won't get delivered on the proper day.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Why waste your time with Canadapost.  Use UPS for anywhere in Canada , its about the same cost when you use eshipper and they have much faster delivery times. 

Im getting away from Canadapost for all shipments within Canada except for lettermail.  Why?? because i can ship a package from Ontario to BC , 1 day delivery for 15$.  Or anywhere in ontario for less than 10$. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Not to my kid you can't.

I detest the cost of shipping paperbacks West, so I checked the above statement about UPS .

To a county seat in the Kootenays $39.31. But hey, that's pretty rural -- although they have an airport with twice daily service to Vancouver.

I checked my late SILs Calgary address. Cheapest rate for my average $10 / 17x10x 3 cm / 250 gm paperback -- $37.67

https://www.ups.com/uis/guest?loc=en_CA

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Hes using eshipper discounted rate, not ups retail

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

CanadaPost is trying to weasel out of guarantees, manipulates timestamps and routinely denies valid claims

After my original post, I have gone through last 30 days of tracking numbers and found 3 late, so it's not as bad. Turns out I have been only one from my staff dropping at box, so I had acceptance scans on 2 of them.

Out of 3 claims they approved 1 and denied 2.

One I originally posted with no acceptance scan - they claim I printed shipping label at 16:38 and mailman was late picking from the mailbox, which is their version why item was in Mississauga next morning. I said I would not argue this one, so ok.

Another denied was 7210029369920419. Shows item accepted 6/16 16:20 and electronic information submitted 6/16 16:39. Post office has cut-off at 16:30, so I appealed this one and pointed out CanadaPost problem with label printing timestamp. Person I talked to said this appeal will most likely go through.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@dipmicro wrote:

One I originally posted with no acceptance scan - they claim I printed shipping label at 16:38 and mailman was late picking from the mailbox, which is their version why item was in Mississauga next morning. I said I would not argue this one, so ok.

Another denied was 7210029369920419. Shows item accepted 6/16 16:20 and electronic information submitted 6/16 16:39. Post office has cut-off at 16:30, so I appealed this one and pointed out CanadaPost problem with label printing timestamp. Person I talked to said this appeal will most likely go through.

Your first one is late.  If it wasn't in the box on time for the pickup, it wouldn't have even been at the Mississauga plant the next morning for them to scan in.  Very few boxes have  a scheduled pickup of 9am.  And even it is picked up at 9am, it's extremely unlikely to be sorted, and processed, and scanned that same morning.

As for your second claim, that's B.S. on the part of Canada Post.  The date/time of the electronic shipment notification is irrelevant.   The electronic shipment information doesn't even have to been submitted yet for the package to already be moving.  The timestamp on the electronic shipping info being submitted is also always wrong anyway.  Never mind that fact, but it's also impossible to for the shipment to be "accepted" before a prepaid label has been printed. 

As for them messing with timestamps.  Take a look at the "processed" at sortation plant scans.  They time is very often fast. I routinely see packages saying "item processed" at a time such as 01:30am (the following day) but when I look at the clock, it's only 9pm (the previous day).  Guess what happens to the expected/delivery standard date when the scanner/website shows the wrong date/time of that scan.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@computer-geek541 wrote:

As for them messing with timestamps.  Take a look at the "processed" at sortation plant scans.  They time is very often fast. I routinely see packages saying "item processed" at a time such as 01:30am (the following day) but when I look at the clock, it's only 9pm (the previous day).  Guess what happens to the expected/delivery standard date when the scanner/website shows the wrong date/time of that scan.

I did not pay that much attention, but that also supports my conclusion that CanadaPost manipulates timestamps to their advantage.

This makes me curious about reliability of delivery time. CanadaPost can simply mark item as delivered in time and deliver later and avoid guarantee postage claim. Once a liar, always a liar.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply