Is currency choice a selection somewhere in Business Policies?

I use Inkfrog to create my listings. I got an error message from them when I tried to edit a listing from US to Cdn funds. The Inkfrog helpline thinks I need to adjust something in my ebay settings that is preventing me from selling in Cdn dollars. I looked and can't find anything like that. 

Does anyone here have any suggestions for me? Any advice would really be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Is currency choice a selection somewhere in Business Policies?

I understand that you are using inkFrog third party listing system and are trying to change the currency from USD to CAD.

eBay will not allow the changing of currency in an active live listings either directly in eBay or through inkFrog. You will have to end the listing and then try to relist the ended listing and change the currency.

Your topic title suggests that you are using eBay Business Policies. Are you using them through inkFrog or are your trying to use directly in eBay? I don't quite understand where you are working from to change a listing. You should work all through inkFrog so the changes are all there.

Currency is in the Payment Policy in Business Policies. You will have to create an identical Payment Policy to your existing Payment Policy in USD with CDN currency and use that as your Payment Policy in your listing.

Even when you use Business Policies and a Payment Policy, the eBay online Sell Your Item form also has currency at the top of the listing form. So you need to change it there also.

If you are using Business Policies, you must have Shipping Policies defined also. Shipping policies also have shipping costs in them. It does not specify the currency in shipping policies. They may work as is with your listings or they may be in USD unknown to you or they may not be used at the same time in two listings - one in existing USD listings and one in CDN listings. You may have to create an identical Shipping Policy in CAD to make a CDN listing work. Adjust USD shipping costs to be in the equivalent CAD.

Here is how I would do a currency change from USD to CAD on eBay.ca. You should be able to the same on inkFrog.

End the listing.

Use Sell Similar to relist the item.

Edit the listing

- change the currency at the top of the listing

- change the item price

- change the Payment Policy to the new one with CDN currency

- change the Shipping Policy or use the existing (test to see how it works)

Submit the listings then check thoroughly the listing. Make sure the shipping cost is correct and working by testing with different postal codes and USA zip and other countries.

If this works on eBay, then you should be able to replicate the above on inkFrog. I would suggest that you do this all from inkFrog so that all changes to listings are in inkFrog and then sent to eBay through inkFrog. Otherwise you will end up with inkFrog out of sync with eBay and may lose your changes.

Test with one listing on eBay and then one on inkFrog. Skip testing on eBay if you can do it all on inkFrog. If successful, test again with one. Repeat with one. When you can make 5 listings work one at a time then, try 5, the n10 and then get brave and change 100.

The above are suggestions where to look for the issue you are having. Hopefully there are not mistakes in what I posted but again hopefully it will point you in the right direction to find your issue. I have not tested any of the above as I have no USD listings to convert to CAD.

PS I use eBay Business Policies so I understand them. I also used inkFrog years ago and know their old system. I do not know the new system.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so much for your reply. I wasn't very clear. I'm trying to change my saved listing on inkfrog so they are in Cdn dollars for the next time they are listed. The same listings are currently live on ebay. 

I'm now going to use your note to try to fix my problem. I can't thank you enough 🙂

Michelle

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I'll add that I mentioned business policies because that was what Inkfrog thought might be my problem. I can't find anything yet that lets me choose currency but I'm not giving up yet. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Found it! I'm going to assume that my listings have to all end first before I can make the changes. I don't like messing around with computer stuff so I'd rather wait it out than troubleshoot now. Your info saved me thanks again.

I was amused that the blurb from ebay, in the payment policy area, where I selected US currency, says "Listings in US$ will attract more interest from US buyers and on average are 15% more likely to sell."

lol

But I've recently been persuaded, by an article from ebay, to believe that changing to Cdn dollars will be better. Everything will feel like it's cheaper to them, on sale even, etc.

Whatever. I'm going through with the switch.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Which kind of switch are you planning?

If your items are over 2cm thick and under 500 grams, they can ship Flat Rate on dotCOM and be listed in U$.

From Canada you would be using Letter/Light Packet rates. Cheap(ish) and fast, but not trackable.

If your items were bulky or heavy then you need Canada Post Calculated Shipping parcel rates which allow for distance as well as for weight and dimension measurements . Those listings should stay on dotCA in loonies.

Most parcel rates are trackable. And we get discounts on some parcel services from PO counter rates when using Paypal shipping labels.

And of course, our foreign sellers see our listings in Search in the currency of the site they are Searching.

So your dotCA listings are seen by US searchers in U$, by German searchers in euros, and by Canadian searchers in loonies.

If any of your items are listed as GTC, you have until August to decide.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I use lettermail most often so that I don't have to go to the post office. I've never printed my postage online or via Paypal. I keep meaning to look in to that to see if I qualify or whatever. Thank you for your note.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@bluedaisyclippings wrote:

I use lettermail most often so that I don't have to go to the post office. I've never printed my postage online or via Paypal. I keep meaning to look in to that to see if I qualify or whatever.

What "flat rate" choices does Canada Post have for the USA?

Lettermail - under 2cm thick

Light packet - under 2cm thick, can be bought through paypal

Small Packet - can be more than 2cm thick, has a bar code with number, originate scan available, but no on-line tracking and no insurance. Can be bought through paypal.

USA - Lettermail / Light Packet / Small Packet (2016 rates)
051-100g ..  2.95 Stamps
101-200g ..  5.15 Stamps
000-200g ..  5.70 Light Packet
201-300g ..  8.23 Light Packet
000-250g ..  8.36 Small Packet (Air)
201-500g .. 10.30 Stamps
251-500g .. 11.07 Small Packet (Air)
501g-1kg .. 16.65 Small Packet (Air)

Where possible I use Stamps if under 200g, Light packet for 251-300g

and Small Packet for 201-250g and 301g and up.

-..-

Here's a list of current shipping choices when listing on eBay.com for the Canadian seller (who ships from Canada)

-.-

To the USA
All flat rate, no calculated, with expected delivery time.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

-.-

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you
select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international
shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the
potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.

-..-

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks again for these tips. My mind is boggled.

I removed all but one shipping policy from my Business Policies in ebay. I can't remove the last one as it is the default but I was able to change it to Cdn currency. I was not even aware of the Business Policy area until this issue came up.

I also went to paypal and made Canadian currency my default currency.

Then at Inkfrog I changed the currency in my pre-fills that I use to create new ads.

I tried updating a saved ad and also creating a new ad from scratch, on Inkfrog.

I currently have no live listings.

Each time I get the same error message....

• The selected shipping policy must have the same currency as the listing.
  • You've provided an invalid shipping policy.

I don't even know how to list using ebay alone and I'd like to avoid figuring that out if I could as I don't intend to list from there. If I recall it is very expensive that way and listings can't be saved for later or scheduled. At least not for the $11 per month that I pay to Inkfrog. (Someone please correct me if this is no longer the case) I have more than 1100 listings so transferring photos and recreating from scratch is my biggest nightmare,

Inkfrog doesn't know because it's an ebay thing. 

If you poco  or anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate your help.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Do you think it's a better idea to list on ebay.com in US dollars? I might have no choice in the matter if I can't figure this out.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks to your advice I was able to figure it out. I deleted my old shipping policies and created a new one. I kept thinking the new one would be taken from a listing I made but nope, I was able to make it in the business policy area. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply