Is it safe to buy a Rolex watch or jewelry from Ebay ?

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

Recently I have been thinking about buying a Rolex watch. I never thought I would be in a position for one but I would rather have one of these than a vacation or new car. I am very scared of getting ripped off online.

The Rolex dealers in my home town start about $ 8000 but online there is many nice used ones for about 2500-4000. I would love to get a deal on one and I'm not that picky just want an authentic one in good condition. Some dealers have money back guarantee and I know ebay has a money back guarantee but I wonder how difficult it would be to actually get my money back if I was sold a fake or a broken one. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me ?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Is it safe to buy a Rolex watch or jewelry from Ebay ?

Read the feedback of any seller you are considering buying from.

Look for negative or neutral feedback concerning watches.

And read the words not just the numbers.

Sellers who have been selling steadily for some years are a better bet than those who have suddenly appeared or who have not been selling for some time. (This includes sellers with long gaps in their feedback.)

Also read the feedback 'left for others' and Responses to feedback.

Remember that while No Returns does not mean No Refunds (eBay and Paypal guarantee that) , the seller who is not willing to take returns is afraid of his customers. Not a good situation.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Does this mean Ebay will refund my money if I'm sold a fake or broken rolex ?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@puritygems wrote:

Does this mean Ebay will refund my money if I'm sold a fake or broken rolex ?

Read up on this and get back to us if and when you have more questions:

http://pages.ebay.ca/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If you buy from overseas (or the USA) the seller will NOT be able* to send you a Return Shipping Label.

You will have to return the unwanted item yourself.

With Confirmation of Delivery (which is not available for every country) this will cost in excess of $40.

Since you are in the market for a $8000 watch, this probably won't bother you, but you should be aware of this.

*EBay does not understand this.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Have you thought of other options?

Some high end jewellery stores sell "estate" jewellery and watches - sometimes a Rolex.

I don;t know what city  you are in/near but here in Calgary there is a diamond exchange - you can take in unwanted jewellery and watches  for gold/silver market value cash.  They melt down some but also sell some of the more lovely rings and watches.

A high end pawn broker might have some but they probably won't the warranty of the above.

Might be worth phoning around before you purchase online.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply