Is there a way to know the amount of gsp charge before actually bidding on a zero bid auction?

HI folks,

Is there a way to find out your "------" gsp charges before you actually bid?

I am actually looking into an auction that has zero bid at this time. These are some oddball items...The price is good and shipping decent and i think the auction might just stay at zero bids and i wanna to jump on it at last moment. But is there a way to know how much of that "----" GSP fee would be if you would bid?

Is there some sort of calculator that you can go too to "at least" get some sort of proper estimate on what to expect.

I would hate to have to pay 20$ of gsp plus shipping on a 10$ item. it would make no sense at all... and i  thought that the shipping fees was to be included in the gsp and bundled together.?

can anybody point me to a resource to help me out?

thanks

Appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Is there a way to know the amount of gsp charge before actually bidding on a zero bid auction?

"import charge" includes the tax (GST/HST) and service charge.

It is impossible for anyone to determine what the tax amount will be until a sales amount is determined. GST/HST rates vary from province to province (from a low 5% in Alberta to a high 15% in Nova Scotia)

For low priced items, under Cdn$ 20, there is no tax generally and the service fee is about $4.  It may be best for most Canadian buyers to avoid listings requiring GSP for low priced items as the service charge and extra shipping by Pitney Bowes often represent a high percentage of the total value.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

For low priced items, under Cdn$ 20, there is no tax generally and the service fee is about $4.

It looks like PB is no longer charging tax or service fees for items less than $20. But if the auction starts at less than $20 and there is a BIN price of more than $20, the listing does show service fees & taxes based on the BIN price. It would be interesting to see if the fee is still charged if the BIN isn't used and the item ends up to be less than $20.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

How much does pitney bo charges for shipping?

do you pay the original shipping charge plus pitney bo shipping charge? if so then thats a rip off...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I dont mind paying the taxes. It just the brokerage fees and the other fess that are tacked on that just burns me when i see auctions like this. Sometimes you din an awesome deal but you cannot do anything about it because you really dont know how much of these unecessary fees you ll end up paying in the end.

Long ago i bought a toy for a decent amount of money and the seller charged me shippign and shipped it UPS. when it got home UPS wanted double the amount of money again for brokerage fees amongst other things plus cod fees and taxes and other items.

I managed to get the package but never paid that ridiculous fee. I say you pay your shipping once. You should not have to  pay it again with a disguise thing called brokerage fee.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

My admittedly very patchy research suggests that the non-tax portion of the GSP "import fee" is generally competitive with Canada Post's C$9.95 processing fee for items where CBSA is collecting taxes.

In other words, you're not looking at UPS or FedEx ground-type fees.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

ok,

if i win an item at 10$. shipping is 25$ and my taxes are 13%

can someone tell me the fees expected?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@electric-pixel wrote:

ok,

if i win an item at 10$. shipping is 25$ and my taxes are 13%

can someone tell me the fees expected?

Since taxes and duties aren't charged in most cases for an item with a declared value of below C$20, there shouldn't be any import charges associated with this purchase.  Any processing fees levied by Pitney Bowes for an item of that sort of value are likely folded into the shipping charge.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply