Is there a way to recover final value fee on an item which was returned as undeliverable?

I sent a parcel to a buyer at the paypal address provided and the tracking indicates that the item is being returned as undeliverable because the buyer moved to a new state. There had been no communication from the buyer to two emails indicating 1) that the item was sent and providing the tracking info and 2) indicating that his parcel was now tracking. Today I sent him a message telling him that the parcel was undeliverable and was being return. This is when he informed me that he moved and he wanted to cancel the sale and receive a refund for the item and shipping. (I will not be refunding the shipping charge or any return to sender charge).

My question is about how I can recover the final value fee from Ebay for the sale??

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Is there a way to recover final value fee on an item which was returned as undeliverable?

Here is cancel but if the buyer rejects you lose so keep communication pleasant and you want to avoid negative feedback.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

Be aware also that if the buyer files a claim , Paypal will refund the full payment.

Buyer paid the shipping so you are out the return cost. Perhaps try appealing to his sense of fairness. Happy to file a cancel and refund item item but i am now out the  PO cost of accepting the return item etc.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Sorry .. that should read  refund item cost.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Keep in mind that, at the Ontario minimum wage, your time is worth 17 cents a minute.

Are the FVF high enough to make it worthwhile going after a rebate?

Keep in mind too, that your buyer can leave feedback and more importantly Detailed Seller Ratings. DSRs can have a strong negative impact on your ability to list and sell. Keep everything polite and professional.

Personally, given that the buyer is incommunicado, I would wait until the parcel is returned, calculate the cost of shipping and return shipping (Canada Post does not always demand it, but don’t count on that) and then refund the payment minus the total paid for shipping. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply