Is there any point to adding buyers to your blocked bidder list today???????

I have run into 2 situations in the last short while of blocked bidders getting friends to buy for them to circumvent the block.

What is the point of the BBL if Ebay does nothing about it?

Any one else having these issues as it leaves sellers wide open for abuse?

Is there any way to stop this?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

If you can prove they are circumventing your Best Buddies List, call ebay and report both the old and new ID. It is a violation of policy. You'd be doing us all a favour if you could help to get that kind of buyer booted. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

It happened to me recently. Buyer was blocked because she demanded free shipping or she would not pay. She never paid and I blocked her. Came back under another user ID and bought 2 items which she never paid again. The first name was different, but the last name was the same. Same shipping address too. I reported her and the "guy", but I don't think it did any good since both of them are still eBay members 😞

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

People still add to the BBL? Really? Why?

It does nothing. It is not enforced.

I put my effort into working with customers, not against them.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Did you 'report' them ? Or did you open an Unpaid Item Dispute?

The former may or may not result in action.

The latter gets your FVF back, blocks the bidder from leaving feedback, and gives him a Strike.

Most sellers have set their Seller Preferences to automatically Block bidders with Strikes -- and that one is enforced --by robots who don't get bored.

You can also set your Seller Preferences to block some other categories of bidder. Take a look, it can be helpful.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I have to tell you that whenever I utilize ebay's Report-a-whatever webform, I envision it zipping across fibre optic lines of communication that become increasingly frayed until they end attached to some server surrounded by buzzing flies in a landfill. That's about the maximum amount of satisfaction to be gained from reporting anything for any reason: an imaginary cartoon a la The Simpsons. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I have to tell you that whenever I utilize ebay's Report-a-whatever webform, I envision it zipping across fibre optic lines of communication that become increasingly frayed until they end attached to some server surrounded by buzzing flies in a landfill. That's about the maximum amount of satisfaction to be gained from reporting anything for any reason: an imaginary cartoon a la The Simpsons. 

I'm not so sure about this.  The problem is that to us, at this end, it seems absolutely nothing is being done, and of course we never get any direct follow-up to our "reports" from eBay, which is their policy.  That in itself can be frustrating.  However, the fact is that buyers are regularly kicked off the site and sellers are hit with downgrading and restrictions (or turfed out entirely) for policy violations.  

We never really know whether a particular report is the final straw that will end a buyer's or seller's bad behaviour on eBay.  And we have no idea exactly how many such reports or complaints it takes before that happens.  So my own policy is to report things such as blatant copyright violations (a particular bugbear of mine), or egregious listing violations when I see them if I have the time and inclination.  

I don't expect every report -- or for that matter many -- will be handled properly and thoroughly, or in the way we'd like it to be dealt with, but overall I think the reporting system does help to keep the site safer for buyers and maintain a more level playing field for sellers.  Just IMHO. Woman Happy

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

If they use a friend, names and addresses will not be the same so makes it more difficult.

I know as the blocked buyer sent me an email that if I unblocked him he would buy 2 items at full price.I was under the impression if they were blocked, they could not email you as I have that marked under my preference.

I ignored him and next thing someone with a dormanr account buys both items and pays immediately. Both from Quebec so they are fiends or related. I have reported the purchaser as well as opened a case with Ebay. What will happen, I don't know.

The original buyer was blocked as he opened a INR case and of course gave me a defect. Hence I don't want to send out the 2 items.

This type of thing could go on for ever and way too expensive to send with tracking. You are between a rock and a hard place, defects, lose items and shipping, and giving lousy buyers satisfaction they can get away with this stuff on Ebay.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Hi dutchman! I have had a case where a particular buyer in China has purchased from me (at least) 5 times now under different IDs and sort of different addresses.

The first 3 times I burned (small stuff untracked), the 4th time I think I shipped registered and the last time I called ebay to report the buyer for continuing to come back despite my blocking them. The CSR undefected me for cancelling the transaction.

I advised them of the IDs I was aware of, interestingly they already knew about all but one of them, so they do watch that kind of stuff.

Other interestingness, I watched the buyer after that (they buy a LOT of stuff) and oddly they were never NARU'd. This was very frustrating to me.

However I took off my "pessimistic" hat that the person was intentionally ripping me off and put on my "optimistic" hat that they were actually not getting the items. It occurred to me that if someone in the PO knew what they were buying and stole the untracked stuff en-route it would be the same result.

Given the many many 100s of things that that buyer bought before and after me that they left feedback for under the latest ID (so presumably they got it) and the sellers were ones I know of, it really makes me wonder if my irritation was sent in the wrong place..... I still don't want to sell to them though.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Did you 'report' them ? Or did you open an Unpaid Item Dispute?

Both. I even wrote to Raphael who also reported the buyer to the appropriate team.

I know about the Seller Preferences. Mine blocks buyer with 2 strike within 12 months.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Have to agree with Elmwood. Unless the buyer is ruthlessly interfering in you business, I wouldn't bother with placing anyone on the Bidders list. In most cases deals that don't go well is due to miscommunication or error. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

So you would keep dealing with buyers that give you defects?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@neatjerseys wrote:

Have to agree with Elmwood. Unless the buyer is ruthlessly interfering in you business, I wouldn't bother with placing anyone on the Bidders list. In most cases deals that don't go well is due to miscommunication or error

That is what I believe.

I am on a Facebook eBay board. 5000 members. The following words will get your post deleted: scammer, blocking, thieves, cheated, etc. Any negative remarks about eBay or buyers, will get your post deleted.

All we are allowed to post is how to do things right. How to get things done for the customer. How to make everyone come out a winner.

Utopian? Not at all. Customer focused and progressive.

Like Neatjersey says, unless you are being targeted, the BBL is pretty much just a retaliatory kind of thing: "There! I just showed you! HA!". Really? Is that good business?

Photobucket
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Give me a break. I wish I could block all your comments.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

And could care less if the mods pull this as well

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Maybe what you are missing, is the tool is available for people to use. It is my choice to use it and your choice not to. It is a violation for blocked bidders to circumvent the block whether you believe it or not. I just want Ebay to enforce their own policies

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Hello 'dutchman48',

<<I was under the impression if they were blocked, they could not email you>>

If he has bought from you recently he can send you a message through a previous mailing until this option  'wears off'.  

<<.... if I unblocked him he would buy 2 items ...  someone with a dormant account buys both items and pays immediately...

I have reported the purchaser as well as opened a case with Ebay>>

Just out of curiosity, what kind of case did you open for someone who has paid for his items?  

I'm not being flip, I just didn't think it was possible.

Your story sounds similar to what happened to a seller I know.  A buyer in Yorkshire bought a small ($10 USD) item 

sent cheap-o post,  and after only about a week filed for a INR refund.  The seller refunded and mercifully he got

no feedback.

Then a few weeks later "someone" from the same Yorkshire town bought another of the items and AGAIN filed for

refund as soon as the system allowed.  Again, the seller refunded out of fear of reprisals.

There is no way to 'prove' they are the same person, but reporting your suspicions might get an asterisk beside

the buyers' ids.  I understand if you are hesitant about mailing the items to the second person.  Did you phone ebay

to express your concerns?  

The thing is, ebay will always do what makes them the most money without really costing them any.  If a buyer

does this to a lot of sellers, and they all report it, the cumulative effect may get the problem noticed.

But the occasional sneak who thinks himself clever by finding a work-around to get a forbidden item, however

infuriating to the seller, will not get booted as a result, especially not if the buyer is generally problem-free in 

other transactions.

If you blocked that buyer, obviously it is 'enforced' because he had to find an alternate way to buy the items since his

own ID was blocked.  Ebay cannot close off the ISP completely because spouses and family members often share

a computer and may have very different buying habits.  Unless, of course, there are too many complaints about

the numerous IDs all from the same ISP.  

As others have stated, a lot of the reasons for blocking is the result of petty disagreements between users, but if

you truly fear a possible fake INR,  well, if you have called ebay and are expected to send the package,  if it happens

again  ebay will surely take you seriously the next time you call to say "I told you so".

I am assuming that when the buyer initially said he would buy your items if unblocked, (and you had blocked him

because he stole from you), that you very sweetly explained in your reply that you just couldn't accept his proposal,

not when the postal system seems to have such terrible trouble locating his address.

I wish you a good outcome all the same. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@neatjerseys wrote:

Have to agree with Elmwood. Unless the buyer is ruthlessly interfering in you business, I wouldn't bother with placing anyone on the Bidders list. In most cases deals that don't go well is due to miscommunication or error

That is what I believe.All we are allowed to post is how to do things right. How to get things done for the customer. How to make everyone come out a winner.  Utopian? Not at all. Customer focused and progressive.

Please tell me, what would you do in my situation? It was NOT miscommunication or error. Buyer wrote in black and white "Free shipping or the deal is off". You would let this person buy from you again and again without paying? What a waste of time and money! It seems very generous, especially from a business point of view...

Message 18 of 18
latest reply