Item description confusing/misleading

yap-ca2013
Community Member
So I recently purchased an NBA Jersey from a US based seller. The title says the item is a "Swingman" jersey. After 2 weeks, I get the jersey and I quickly realize that the jersey he sold me was a Replica jersey. The item is clearly not the same as the photo (although he did use a stock photo), and it is clearly not a Swingman. Swingman jerseys are higher in quality and price. What bothers me is that he tried to sell a Replica jersey by using a stock photo of a Swingman and pricing it as a Swingman. I contacted the seller and explained the situation. He then replied by saying that he directly purchased the jersey from Adidas. So, I explained to him the differences between the item he sent me and the item he listed (mentioning quality, appearance, material, etc.). He then said I was wrong in his next message, stating that Adidas made two versions of the jersey, one with stitched on numbers and letterings and one with heat pressed graphics but were both Swingman and that the listing said the item being sold was the heat pressed. Here is my concern: The heat pressed jerseys are "Replica" and the stitched are "Swingman". It can't be both. I also did some research and on the NBA store, I could easily compare both the Swingman and Replica, and what he sold was definitely the Replica jersey. Basically, he listed the item as a Swingman, used a Photo of a Swingman, used the title "Adidas Swingman Jersey" in the description but also stated "heat pressed", and sent me a Replica. Is it worth opening a case about this? The seller appears to be quite stubborn and won't accept the fact that he sent me a different item from his listing. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Your remedy is a claim through the resolution centre for an item not as described.

You will have to return the item as part of the process, at your expense, so if the nett cost is more than it's worth, all you can do is leave appropriate FB and DSRs

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I would imagine you paid quite a lot?  If purchased from China, you will be spending a good amount sending it back.  If it was really cheap, then it's not worth it.  But I imagine if he was selling it as authentic it would have cost $ - then yes "Not as Described" is the answer and a claim should be made

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

yap-ca2013
Community Member

I purchased the item from Florida, but it was sent through the GSP, so it was a a bit more expensive. At this point, I think I'll just keep the item, I wouldn't want to go through all the hassle of returning (and spending any more money on this purchase!). I already left positive feedback on the seller before I realized the problem. Is there any way to change the initial feedback?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

GSP?

You are in luck!

Pitney Bowes doesn't seem to want these items back. Big savings since you don't have to return the item with Confirmation of Delivery.

File the Not As Described and get your money back.

Trash or donate the unwanted jersey, since it would be unethical to keep both the money and the jersey.

You can add a Response to any feedback indefinitely. Like the most effective feedback, the best Responses are calm and factual.

'Later found counterfeit. Refunded by GSP.' for example.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Based on what has been said, the item is not counterfeit but it is not what the listing said it was.

If you go to the nba store and click on jerseys, it seems fairly clear that there are Swingman jerseys and Replica jerseys but there are not Swingman Replica jerseys so the seller may be either confused or dishonest.

If an item sent by the gsp is damaged in shipping, they do not require that the buyer send the item back but they do issue a full refund. In this situation, if a case was opened and was  found in the buyer's favour, the seller would be at fault, rather than the gsp.  They may handle the problem the same way regardless of the reason for the case but I'm not 100% positive on that. But the OP could still file a case to see if they would have to return the item...I think that it is unlikely that it would have to be sent back.

There is no way for you to change the feedback but as Femme mentioned, you can add a response to your feedback. To do this, go to your feedback page, scroll to the bottom and click on follow up on feedback left.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

yap-ca2013
Community Member
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm understanding a lot more. pjcdn2005, I'm not exactly sure on the authenticity of the item either. When I recieved it, it had a "Swingman" tag on it, but I know it is a Replica. I am a bit suspicious about the tags too, the font doesn't really match with my other jerseys purchased from the NBA store. Maybe Adidas made font changes just because it was a limited edition?
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

yap-ca2013
Community Member
The authenticity of the item is definitely questionable.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

"definitely questionable."

May be true but "questionable" does not mean an expert has declared the item fake.

Anyone can question anything.

Based on low price, I would not expect the item to be genuine.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

yap-ca2013
Community Member
Yeah, I guess that's true. However, I wouldn't say it was low priced. He charged more than the actual item he was trying to sell. I wouldn't be complaining if he tried to sell a Swingman for the price of a Replica, but turned out to be a Replica. It's the other way around.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Hello 'yap...',

You are going to have to make a decision one way or the other because simply grumbling about it

will not change or improve a thing.

As 'femme' says, items deemed "not as described" which are sent through the GSP are so far not

expected to be returned.  This might sound almost 'too easy', but I expect anyone endeavouring to

take advantage of this would soon be flagged as an excessive returner.

Anyway, here is ebay's official policy on what to do if an item does not match the description.  It's good

to know even if you decide that for the price you can learn to live with the jersey:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

yap-ca2013
Community Member
Thanks dmil8030,

After hearing everyone's suggestions, I think I will open a case. The seller hasn't replied to my messages for a while now so I think that is the best option right now. My concern is that if Ebay decides to have me return the item after the case has been reviewed, can I refuse and just forget the refund? As I mentioned before, I don't really want to go through the whole "sending it back" process.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

yap-ca2013
Community Member
Hey guys I ran into a problem when filing a case. When I went through the "open a case" process through ebay, it redirected me to the paypal customer support. Then, they asked me for a transaction id for paypal, but I directly used my credit card so the transaction won't show up in my transaction history, so I hit a brick wall. How do I get around this?
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Hi again, 'yap...',

If ebay wanted you to return that item I think you would be the first. Smiley Happy

You see, it wasn't the seller who mailed it to you, - it was the GSP center in Kentucky. So the Great GSP

Processing Plant does not want all these items back, and they certainly don't want to have to then mail items

back the seller.

If you open a claim and ultimately decide not to follow through, obviously no one can force you to wrap the

thing up and mail it.  Since the seller has been ignoring you, once you open your dispute you may as well

escalate to a claim as soon as you are able.  Here is a bit more about deadlines if you wish to see:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/resolving-problems.html

and this one here goes into more detail about paypal cases:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/paypal-buyer-protection.html

So go for the claim if you wish, just don't abuse the system and in future, --  shop carefully. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

<< I directly used my credit card...>>

Why didn't you say so in the first place.  hahaha!

Okay, so if you just used your credit card at checkout and the payment did not go through an

actual paypal account, the ebay/paypal "buyer protection" will do nothing at all to help you.

But you have a credit card, so you can call the 1-800 number on the back of the card and inquire

about a chargeback.  You will need all the transaction details in front of you when you make the call.

That means the receipts sent to your regular email.  You will have a Confirmation of your payment from

ebay, as well as a payment receipt from paypal.  It's from paypal, and it says you paid with paypal, but

that is how straight credit card payments look.  Paypal processes the payment to the seller at checkout,

but it is a credit card payment.

So have all those details on hand.  The card company may insist you wait until you receive the statement.

Do you have your card statement yet?

Anyway, that's your option at this point.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Did you pay with a credit card through Paypal or did you pay the seller directly with a card?

dmil could be right that you aren't covered by Paypal but it wouldn't hurt to check by phoning them. Sign into your paypal account & click on contact us at the bottom of the page.

If possible it would probably be best to go the Paypal route just in case the cc company will require you return the item first.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

if Ebay decides to have me return the item after the case has been reviewed, can I refuse and just forget the refund?

Yes.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

yap-ca2013
Community Member
I paid with a credit card with paypal. I also received a receipt email from paypal detailing the transaction. Where I get stuck is when Paypal's Resolution Centre asks me for a Transaction ID when I try to open a case. I don't have a transaction ID, and when I contacted Paypal I only got a reply from a "representative" that sounded a bit automated...
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

yap-ca2013
Community Member

Update: It says the member is away until July 16th, so there goes my hopes of resolving this with him. I'm still waiting for Paypal's response to my problem. Smiley Frustrated

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Paypal doesn't really need the seller. If he doesn't respond, and you can show return, you win.

If you are worried, go to your credit card and ask for a chargeback.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply