Item not received because they didn't want to pay customs tax?

I just had a buyer open a case after I sent her 4 magazines. I mailed them all together (no tracking at her request since she lives in Germany) and a week or so after I mailed it, she emails me to complain that the parcel is in customs and there is a 20 euro fee (which I guess would make sense for printed matter) to pick up. She is furious, and told me I should not have marked the value on the package. I advised her that I don't commit fraud. She said thanks will order less next time and I thought we were done with it.

Today I get an "item not received" for 1 of the magazines. WHAT? I believe she is trying to recoup some of her money back that she spent on taxes by claiming this. I sent her back a very candid but firm reply indicating that I sent all 4 together (I took photos of the label and magazines before I sent) so I am hoping she will simmer down. What should I expect from ebay?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@littlemisswise wrote:

I just had a buyer open a case after I sent her 4 magazines. I mailed them all together (no tracking at her request since she lives in Germany) and a week or so after I mailed it, she emails me to complain that the parcel is in customs and there is a 20 euro fee (which I guess would make sense for printed matter) to pick up. She is furious, and told me I should not have marked the value on the package. I advised her that I don't commit fraud. She said thanks will order less next time and I thought we were done with it.

Today I get an "item not received" for 1 of the magazines. WHAT? I believe she is trying to recoup some of her money back that she spent on taxes by claiming this. I sent her back a very candid but firm reply indicating that I sent all 4 together (I took photos of the label and magazines before I sent) so I am hoping she will simmer down. What should I expect from ebay?

It has nothing to do with you. It is purely between the recipient and their Customs.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Well, the buyer just closed the case. She claimed that she was talking about another parcel in her original correspondence where she was upset that I declared the value on the parcel (ok...again...WHAT?), and that she still doesn't have the parcel. Then she emails to say that she opened the case by accident. Now she just closed the case!

This is why I have had to resort to taking video and photos of all the items I mail out. I even videotaped dropping off at mailboxes to prove that I mailed, because i've had some negative experiences in the past.

For this buyer, I feel bad that she had to pay tax at customs, and was thinking of sending her an item free next time with purchase should she buy again. Smart decision or no?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

This is why I have had to resort to taking video and photos of all the items I mail out. I even videotaped dropping off at mailboxes to prove that I mailed, because i've had some negative experiences in the past.

Honestly, you're wasting your time doing that. eBay will not look at that information and even if they would...that still does not prove that the buyer received the item, it only proves that you mailed something. The only way to prove an item has been received is if the package has online delivery confirmation and it shows that delivery was made. In many cases, a service with delivery confirmation is just to expensive to use so many sellers add a small amount to each item price as a sort of 'cookie jar insurance'. When an item goes missing they can use the money from the virtual cookie jar.

For this buyer, I feel bad that she had to pay tax at customs, and was thinking of sending her an item free next time with purchase should she buy again. Smart decision or no?

Although buyers don't always realize that they are going to have to pay tax and or duty when they buy from another country, it isn't your 'fault' and you shouldn't feel bad. Since the buyer opened a case and there was absolutely no reason for them to open one, I would probably block them now to prevent them from buying from me again and possibly giving me another defect. You did receive a defect just because she opened a case. You 'might' be able to get ebay to take the defect off if you phone them but I've heard that it is quite difficult to do in similar situations.

Keep in mind that is just my opinion...other sellers might not block the buyer.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is so unfair that we as sellers have to get a defect for each time for that obvious unfair reasons.  eBay needs to change that or remove that very obvious insane policy immediately!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I am going to call ebay and ask about the defect, because the case was opened and closed within the hour or so!

Now here is another question, can she open a new case for the other 3 magazines if they were shipped together (paypal shipping label)?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I don't know about whether or not that buyer can open another case for the other 3 magazines, but I agree with pjcdn2005 that you should simply block the buyer. It's not your fault that they didn't know they had to pay customs. I had an European buyer give me 4 stars instead of 5 stars for shipping charge as well likely due to similar reason.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To zee-chan: "they don't know they have to pay for customs". I find it very ironic because I do make the mention in all my listings that it is buyer's responsibility for paying the custom fees not the sellers and many of you told us it is NOT necessary to include that mention and here I am seeing "....they don't know they have to pay for customs?"  

It is clearly that we still have to make that mention in all our listings as eBay did advised us a few years ago.  It is better to have it included in all our listings to protect ourselves regardless of anyone think.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:
I don't know about whether or not that buyer can open another case for the other 3 magazines, but I agree with pjcdn2005 that you should simply block the buyer. It's not your fault that they didn't know they had to pay customs. I had an European buyer give me 4 stars instead of 5 stars for shipping charge as well likely due to similar reason.

They just opened another case (on a magazine in the same shipment/order), in response to the fact that they just left me negative feedback due to "shipping" even though the item was received in Germany on the 22nd and it sold on the 6th. I responded to the neg they gave me, and reported/blocked the buyer. She didn't like that , so she opened a new case. It is getting nasty and I am hoping that ebay does the right thing, or I will unlikely sell on ebay ever again.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If it is of any consolation I thought your response to the negative was factual and professional.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you! I hope that ebay will consider the same, because she has now opened 4 cases saying that he never received any of the items, but I shipped all 4 together, and she knows this, and confirmed it more than once...the feedback proves she received the parcel, and by confirming that she had to pay tax makes my case even stronger. I think I may have to lay it out step by step to ebay, because she is avoiding the facts, and going on whims that are not relevant to the situation as I see it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply