Item sold and sent. Stuck in US Customs

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sold an item and shipped it off immediately.

I found out the buyer didn't get it and discovered it has not cleared customs.

It has been 3 months and the buyer wants his money back.

I just don't know what to do, I will end up without the coin or the money?

I do want to keep a good record.  HELP

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Item sold and sent. Stuck in US Customs

pansy_6
Community Member

I have had almost the exact thing happen to me too; sold an item july 19th, shipped it the same day and it's been stuck in customs since july 24th.  Not one word from buyer until Aug 19th saying item wasn't recieved via a opened case against me.  I've been calling and opened a case with USPS to investigate where it went as the tracking says it's still in the sorting facility and has kept the buyer updated with every single movement I make. 

Meanwhile buyer has been relentless with messages saying find my package over and over again as if I'm not doing anything, it's super stressful.  I find it slightly odd that she was completely silent until a month later then emails me almost twice a day about it and only told me through an opened case.  USPS says it'll take up to 60 days to get back to me and it'll be in writing, what do I do, do I refund or wait?!

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I think it depends on how much you value your DSRs and FB, and whether you want a case decided against you.

I wouldn't continue trying to explain the problem and what is being done to fix it in emails to the buyer, but rather offer to refund the buyer immediately (in fact I probably would have offered to refund the buyer immediately once she opened the case).  You can ask the buyer to return the refund to you in case the item does eventually show up at her address - I think most people will be honest about this. You can then deal with the missing parcel from your end, on your own terms.  

You mention your parcel was sent with tracking -- I assume it was also insured?  If it's a case of total loss or theft, you should be able to eventually recoup the money.    

This is unfortunately one of the risks of doing business on eBay, and if the parcel wasn't insured, you'll have to absorb the loss.  In brick & mortar stores, it's shoplifting that siphons off profit; here it's the risk of non-receipt by mail.  I hope this turns out well for you -- just refund the buyer and your stress level will drop.  Hopefully the buyer will recognize you've done all you can to make things right for her.  

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

That is a good point rose-dee, I didn't know procedure as this hasn't happened before...I will offer to refund her right away, thanks:)

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

I've been calling and opened a case with USPS to investigate where it went as the tracking says it's still in the sorting facility and has kept the buyer updated with every single movement I make.

You mentioned that you contacted USPS but if your package was sent Canada Post then you should be contacting them about the missing package as they are the ones who would pay any insurance claim...if the item was insured.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply