January 13th 2016 Weekly Session

Happy 2016 everyone!

Welcome to the first weekly session of 2016. This thread will remain open until tomorrow, I'll come visit it periodically until then.

Fire away!

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Thanks Pierre. I'll reply here as well as on that thread to make sure musicyouneed sees it.

@musicyouneed wrote:

I have to go out (taking Parents to Dr) can someone post this to the weekly board hour question.  It would be appreciated.

Hello Raphael,

I am having an issue with the new measurement: delivery on time.  I ship light packet so there is no tracking.

On Oct 17/15, I sold a CD to a buyer – Item 191712527304.  The buyer was having the item shipped to the US were it would then be reshipped to him in Kazakhstan, where he lives and works.  I don’t ship to Kazakhstan but I do ship to the US.   I shipped out the next business day on Oct 19/15.  In Dec, they buyer left me positive feedback stating "Received quickly and in good condition all the way to Kazakhstan!".  He left me 5’s for all the DSR’s.  Where the problem is:  When he goes to leave feedback, ebay asks the buyer whether he received the CD within the dates (as set by ebay for shipping from Canada to the US).  Of course he can only answer yes or no and he answers No because, it was not delivered to him in Kazakhstan within the 2 week period allowed for US shipments.  So I got dinged for a late shipment.  I don’t feel this is fair.  Buyer was happy, he just wasn’t aware that answering that question “Did you get the item by (this date)? with a No would cause me a problem. 

I know that in the last 2 months I have sent several CD’s to addresses in the US which forward them on to countries I don’t ship to.   When they go to leave feedback it is going to ask whether they received the CD within the time period from Canada to the US.   I can just see this becoming an issue for me.

I called ebay and they were not any help for me.  What can I do?  Why should I be penalized here, I don’t feel this is fair.  

The thing to keep in mind is that by agreeing to ship untracked to a forwarding address, a seller exposes themselves to some risk. How could eBay know that the shipping address used by the buyer isn't their true shipping address? We provide sellers with tools to allow or restrict shipping to specified countries, if the seller decides to circumvent their own stated terms, they do so at their own risk.

My advice would be to warn any buyer located outside of the regions where a seller ships and who asks to use a forwarding address in this manner to be mindful of the on time shipping question at feedback, or to always use tracking in such situations.

With that said, if the buyer did not ask if this shipping arrangement was okay before buying, and still replied no to the on time shipping question, it would be different and I believe, possible to appeal the defect. If this is the case with this example, please let me know.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Hi Raphael, welcome back, and a Happy 2016 to you! 

We have a roaring blizzard going on right now, so if I suddenly disappear it's because the power has gone out. 

I'd like to ask for some clarification about the new rules (coming Feb. 20th).  There have been a lot of questions and concerns brought up on the boards. 

1.  I believe, if I recall correctly, that you mentioned a few weeks ago that post-Feb. 20th evaluations would take into account sellers' histories back to the point in 2015 when the Fall Seller Update with the changes was announced.  Is this correct, and if so, what date will be used as the retroactive start date? 

2.  Will defects that were incurred prior to February 20th that would not be defects under the new system, be completely removed from a seller's record, or simply not be counted when the post-Feb. 20th evaluations are done?  

3.  If defects are actually removed, will buyers' DSRs and FB comments related to such defects also be removed, or will they remain on a seller's FB page?

4.  From what date will eBay be looking retroactively at removing or nullifying defects -- the same as in question #1, or another date?

5.  It isn't completely clear to me what will happen during the period just prior to, and just after, Feb. 20th, i.e. whether any grace period will be allowed by eBay if a problem starts prior, but the resolution happens afterward.  

For example, if an INR claim were to occur on or after  Feb. 20th, then a full refund would resolve the problem, with no defect.  But would the defect and open case you'd get from refunding now be removed after Feb. 20th?  I suppose what I'm asking is whether the whole principle of the new rules will apply over the "bridge" period, or just the defect removal?

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Hi rose-dee, thanks for the 2016 wishes!

@rose-dee wrote:

1.  I believe, if I recall correctly, that you mentioned a few weeks ago that post-Feb. 20th evaluations would take into account sellers' histories back to the point in 2015 when the Fall Seller Update with the changes was announced.  Is this correct, and if so, what date will be used as the retroactive start date? 

There is a distinction to make there. For the new OTS metric we will use the data we have gathered since September 1st 2015, since we weren't collecting that data to evaluate sellers in the past. For the new defect rate, we will use the full set of data for a seller's lookback period (whether it's 12 months or 3 months) because we were already collecting the necessary data under the old system.

@rose-dee wrote:

2.  Will defects that were incurred prior to February 20th that would not be defects under the new system, be completely removed from a seller's record, or simply not be counted when the post-Feb. 20th evaluations are done?   

As of February 20, you will only see your performance (defect rate and OTS rate) as per the new evaluation system.

@rose-dee wrote:

3.  If defects are actually removed, will buyers' DSRs and FB comments related to such defects also be removed, or will they remain on a seller's FB page? 

Feedback and DSRs will remain the same as they were under the old system (meaning you will still see everything you see today) but will no longer be counted in your performance evaluation.

@rose-dee wrote:

4.  From what date will eBay be looking retroactively at removing or nullifying defects -- the same as in question #1, or another date? 

This question isn't relevant. We aren't removing defects, we are re-evaluating under the new system. See it as a fresh start: everything gets wiped off and then you get evaluated under the new rules.

@rose-dee wrote:

5.  It isn't completely clear to me what will happen during the period just prior to, and just after, Feb. 20th, i.e. whether any grace period will be allowed by eBay if a problem starts prior, but the resolution happens afterward.   

The grace period was the time given to sellers to adjust to the new rules since we started showing them their new performance rating on their dashboard preview back in November. When February 20 comes, everyone's performance rating moves to the new rules. Some sellers will move down in rating, but the vast majority will stay at the same level or move up.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

rose-dee wrote:

This question isn't relevant. We aren't removing defects, we are re-evaluating under the new system. See it as a fresh start: everything gets wiped off and then you get evaluated under the new rules.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the clarifications Raphael.  I understand everything except perhaps the above answer.  When you say "everything gets wiped off", I'm assuming you mean those defects that would not constitute defects under the new rules?  

Or do you mean literally everything gets removed, including defects, open cases and other metrics, and the seller's whole history for the previous year (for sellers on a 12-month evaluation), or (Sept. 1 for the on-time question) is re-evaluated based on the new rules?  

If so, I'm amazed that eBay will be able to run this much data through its "evaluation filter" so quickly, i.e. from Feb. 19th to Feb. 20th -- if I understand you, this means every seller in eBayland?

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the clarifications Raphael.  I understand everything except perhaps the above answer.  When you say "everything gets wiped off", I'm assuming you mean those defects that would not constitute defects under the new rules?  

Or do you mean literally everything gets removed, including defects, open cases and other metrics, and the seller's whole history for the previous year (for sellers on a 12-month evaluation), or (Sept. 1 for the on-time question) is re-evaluated based on the new rules?  

The only things that are changing are:

1) What constitutes a defect

2) Adding a new metric (OTS rate)

Therefore only the old defects will get wiped off. The rest all remains there (open cases, feedback, DSRs) but will no longer count in your performance evaluation.

@rose-dee wrote:

If so, I'm amazed that eBay will be able to run this much data through its "evaluation filter" so quickly, i.e. from Feb. 19th to Feb. 20th -- if I understand you, this means every seller in eBayland?

We've actually been running all sellers' data through the new filter since August 😉 The only thing that's changing on Feb 20 is whoch system (the old or the new) affects your performance standards.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Hi Raphael

What is happening with the Ebay error of moving sold items into unsold instead of sold, being relisted as a result, and getting defects for no stock, and having to cancel for Ebay's error. I have emailed you direct earlier and brought it up, previously.

These defects become serious as we have only a few we can take before losing TRS or worse, being suspended.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Using eBay tools (such as Selling Manager) do you know of an easy way to bulk end a large number of auction listings?

The question deals specifically with auction style listings (no bid received and several days to go).  We all know it is very easy to bulk end fixed price listings.

For example, a seller has 300 auction listings ending in five days on which no bid has been received.  Due to a family or medical or job emergency the seller will be away for an extended period of time and wish to end all auction listings immediately. 

Can it be done in bulk or does one have to go - one at the time - using the "end listing" function and giving a reason for ending each listing?

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

For several years eBay.ca has offered free sub-titles to sellers using eBay.cafr. 

In addition, those sub-titles are searchable and show on search pages on both eBay.ca and eBay.com while sub-titles purchased on those sites are not searchable.  Great bonus!

My question today:  does eBay-Canada intend to continue offering those free sub-titles when listing on eBay.cafr and will they continue to be searchable?

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

What is happening with the Ebay error of moving sold items into unsold instead of sold, being relisted as a result, and getting defects for no stock, and having to cancel for Ebay's error. I have emailed you direct earlier and brought it up, previously.

These defects become serious as we have only a few we can take before losing TRS or worse, being suspended.

Hello dutchman,

I still have that on my tracking list. I'll make sure the team is on top of it. In the meantime, if you see that happen again can you quickly send me the item number? It would greatly help if I could provide the team with a "live" example of the issue. Thanks!

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hello dutchman,

I still have that on my tracking list. I'll make sure the team is on top of it. In the meantime, if you see that happen again can you quickly send me the item number? It would greatly help if I could provide the team with a "live" example of the issue. Thanks!

Sorry, that will not cut it. I sent you the details including item numbers prior to the New Year.  I would like an answer, not more stalling like the last time when I was told the information was too old for Ebay to look into (conveniently).

I guess sellers will just have to mark mailed, then refund when claim for INR opened, so they don't get defects due to Ebay screw ups. If this is what Ebay wants, this is what Ebay will get. 

I am getting very sick and tired of Ebay problems and getting punished for them and of course if it happens enough, Ebay will save their 20% or better yet, get rid ofm another seller. YES, I AM VERY PO'D

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Using eBay tools (such as Selling Manager) do you know of an easy way to bulk end a large number of auction listings?

The question deals specifically with auction style listings (no bid received and several days to go).  We all know it is very easy to bulk end fixed price listings.

For example, a seller has 300 auction listings ending in five days on which no bid has been received.  Due to a family or medical or job emergency the seller will be away for an extended period of time and wish to end all auction listings immediately. 

Can it be done in bulk or does one have to go - one at the time - using the "end listing" function and giving a reason for ending each listing?

At this time, BEAR doesn't support ending listings in the Auction format.

There is a way to do that with another listing tool: File Exchange. However it's a bit complicated to use for the unsavvy and if one was to end a large amount of Auctions this way, they would have to be extra careful that none of them have bids at the time they get ended because those with bids would get sold to the high bidder at their current bid. With that in mind, some sellers might prefer to end their auctions manually one by one to avoid accidentally selling items below the acceptable price.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

For several years eBay.ca has offered free sub-titles to sellers using eBay.cafr. 

In addition, those sub-titles are searchable and show on search pages on both eBay.ca and eBay.com while sub-titles purchased on those sites are not searchable.  Great bonus!

My question today:  does eBay-Canada intend to continue offering those free sub-titles when listing on eBay.cafr and will they continue to be searchable?

There are no plans, as far as I know, to stop offering free subtitles to CAFR sellers or to make them unsearchable.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Reading the US discussion Boards today.

They are being told that on an International return, if you can't send a return label or if you don't send the refund shipping up front to the buyer, and the buyer asks Ebay to step in, Ebay will issue the refund to the buyer with no return.

So, buyer asks for return money and gets it but does not return, seller is screwed or if Ebay steps in, seller is out merchandise and money.

Is this actually true. If so, why would any one sell internationally?

Another brilliant, not, Ebay solution to screw sellers if it is true!

Message 15 of 37
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hello dutchman,

Sorry, that will not cut it. I sent you the details including item numbers prior to the New Year.  I would like an answer, not more stalling like the last time when I was told the information was too old for Ebay to look into (conveniently).

I guess sellers will just have to mark mailed, then refund when claim for INR opened, so they don't get defects due to Ebay screw ups. If this is what Ebay wants, this is what Ebay will get. 

I am getting very sick and tired of Ebay problems and getting punished for them and of course if it happens enough, Ebay will save their 20% or better yet, get rid ofm another seller. YES, I AM VERY PO'D

I'm sorry you're PO'ed, but that's all I can say for now about this. You are free to provide additional examples if/when you see them, or not, I can't force you either way. But if you did it would help me make this move forward much faster, which I understand is ultimately what you want... Up to you.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

They are being told that on an International return, if you can't send a return label or if you don't send the refund shipping up front to the buyer, and the buyer asks Ebay to step in, Ebay will issue the refund to the buyer with no return.

So, buyer asks for return money and gets it but does not return, seller is screwed or if Ebay steps in, seller is out merchandise and money.

If a buyer asks for a return and the seller is on the hook for return shipping, and the seller sends them money for the return shipping, the buyer is expected to ship the item back. If they don't do that, eBay makes a decision against the buyer (buyer loses the case, seller is off the hook).

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

I guess these chats are a waste of time as well. Just keep giving defects due to Ebay issues and everyone should be happy to just take it. Stall and make excuses and hope they go away as Ebay as usual does nothing.

The cart is an excellent example. Years later with many examples from many different sellers, and all you get is nothing as usual.

I WILL NOT PARTAKE IN THIS USELESS NO ANSWER CHAT ANY MORE

ONE LESS HEADACHE FOR YOU

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

If a buyer asks for a return and the seller is on the hook for return shipping, and the seller sends them money for the return shipping, the buyer is expected to ship the item back. If they don't do that, eBay makes a decision against the buyer (buyer loses the case, seller is off the hook).

and what happens to the money the seller sent to the buyer?????

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

and what happens to the money the seller sent to the buyer?????

It should get back to the seller as the transaction just becomes a completed transaction like any other.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply