January 20th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly session. I'll be here on & off for most of the day.

I'll start by posting responses to a few posts from last week, those will be coming soon to stay tuned.

Here are the issues I'm currently tracking:

• SYI: Form resets IS when switching currencies.
  • SYI: Form resets IS when trying to update handling cost
  • Hard block on non compliant images only on relist/sell similar
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations

• Sold items going into Unsold container in Turbo Lister

• Safari browser SYI exhibiting erratic behaviour when trying to select text in description in Revise

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

I noticed that starting last week, there was no difficulty setting a new handling cost for items on relist or revision. It would appear that is fixed?

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

Save on shipping. This seller offers shipping discounts when you purchase two or more eligible items using the cart. is not on your list again. Should I just give up like I have with other issues. Getting tired of bringing it up time and time again. Bringing up an issue here is like talking to customer service over the phone being transferred over and over and having to explain the issue over and over. If that's the case just let me know I have better things to do.

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Merrit, pardon me for butting in. Is that a combined shipping rule on eBay.ca? Or one that has been established by Promotions Manager on eBay.com? If the latter, I have a theory as to the reason it won't work. 

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

Hi mjwl2006, 

No worries... As I have explained on numerous weekly sessions and it just gets swept under the rug over and over. Any listing with Flat Rate shipping to Canada and International calculated shipping fails to show the message Save on Shipping note to all International shipping destinations, this is of course with a combined shipping rule in effect.

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

Hi Raphael, I was wondering if there was any news on this?

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael.  The buyer did not ask me if this shipping arrangement was OK with me.  He purchased the item with a US address and it was only after he paid and I shipped that he told me it was going to  Kazakhstan.  I didn't know that it was being forwarded when he purchased the item.  I shouldn't have a mark against me in this case.  I didn't know and he didn't tell me until after I shipped. 

Also when I check out the addresses I am shipping to they are freight forwarding outlets and I do not know when the person lives. 

Hi musicyouneed,

Thanks for these details. I have brought your case to the Standards team for review and this is being discussed as I type this. I'll let you know what comes out.

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

In reply to Maureen's post from last week:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

2. Why is our EBAY.CA Sales Data given in USD? If the item is listed and sold in CAD on ebay.ca then why should I have to look at the USD value? I can’t do a comparative analysis of my 2015 sales against 2014 sales because the currency conversion rate fluctuates: the dollar values don’t reflect my performance at all.

Can you specify what data you are looking at please? How do you obtain it?

All of it. From the sales dollars in the Seller Dashboard to the ones found in Sales Reports. None of it has actually ever been 'sold' in USD since everything I list is CAD on ebay.ca. I don't mean the currency on display, I'm speaking of the analytic data provided by ebay.

@mjwl2006 wrote:

3. What is the reason that my ‘FOUND A BETTER PRICE’ RETURN REQUEST from ebay.com registered with the Resolution Centre as ‘SNAD’? As such, it froze my funds which, obviously, implies I did something wrong. As it turns out, the buyer decided against his Return anyway and I was able to close the request by calling ebay BUT I don’t see the reason this was categorized as Significantly Not as Described when it was about filed through returns to be about pricing. I don't control the alleged price other sellers set for their similar items. 

Could you provide me with the item number or return ID so I can take a look?

Certainly and thanks. It's RETURN ID 5021275168.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
16-Dec-15
Found better price
Escalated C $34.79
--
19-Dec-15

In the Resolution Centre, meanwhile, it says:

ANGRY BIRDS STAR WARS...
(231572224719)
View purchased item
This item doesn't match the description in your listing. C $46.80 Dec 30, 2015 xxxxxxxxxxxx   Closed by Customer Support. See details

@mjwl2006 wrote:

4. To whom can I report a technical problem with browser I'm using and the long Sell Your Item form? I'm unable to highlight text in the Item Description without the page being hijacked, and cannot alter item price or listing duration on relist 9 times out of ten. It's a major time-waster to have to workaround this. 

May I ask for more details for this as well? What do you mean by "the page being hijacked?" If you could also include your browser details (which browser, version, etc.) it would be great. In the meantime I'll try to replicate the relisting issues you brought up.

Safari Version 9.0.2 (9537.86.3.9.1 
As soon as you highlight text a block of text specifically with the movement of the mouse or try to edit existing text in a field, it jumps to the bottom of the page OR provides an intermittent spinning ball which wipes out the data from that field on multiple occasions. I know it's a browser incompatibility of some sort, another user(s) complain of it too on the Discussion Board. 

I'll reply by topic:

Your data in USD

Whatever you're seeing in the seller dashboard is a measurement of your performance against the various Seller Standards programs. When you sell items, the buyer's location determines in which program the results of this transaction will be measured and each program shows you sales metrics in the program's local currency (UK program shows data in GBP, Germany program shows data in Euros and US program shows data in USD). The Global program also shows its data in USD because it is not specific to any country, all sellers from anywhere in the world get measured in the Global program.

Remorse return turned into a SNAD

There is a problem with the Resolution Centre making remorse returns appear as SNAD. However if you look at your dashboard, you'll see that there was no actual SNAD defects or even that you won't find trace of it there. Keep in mind that the Resolution Centre is from a former era and that you should now trust what you see on your Seller Dashboard and Returns page over what you see in the Resolution Centre.

Safari issue

I was able to reproduce it on my own version of Safari. Really weird behaviour! I have reported it and will keep it on my tracking list.

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

Interesting. That does not sound much different than the way mine (calculated, combined shipping rules) is established. My message displays but don't come into effect but I have some tinkering to do first to see if I can troubleshoot the reason. 

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

Save on shipping. This seller offers shipping discounts when you purchase two or more eligible items using the cart. is not on your list again. Should I just give up like I have with other issues. Getting tired of bringing it up time and time again. Bringing up an issue here is like talking to customer service over the phone being transferred over and over and having to explain the issue over and over. If that's the case just let me know I have better things to do.

Hi merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

Sorry for omitting to put it on the list in my original post. I'm still tracking this though, have been since the beginning and there is a ticket open for it.

Message 9 of 52
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael, I was wondering if there was any news on this?

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael.  The buyer did not ask me if this shipping arrangement was OK with me.  He purchased the item with a US address and it was only after he paid and I shipped that he told me it was going to  Kazakhstan.  I didn't know that it was being forwarded when he purchased the item.  I shouldn't have a mark against me in this case.  I didn't know and he didn't tell me until after I shipped. 

Also when I check out the addresses I am shipping to they are freight forwarding outlets and I do not know when the person lives. 

Hi musicyouneed,

Thanks for these details. I have brought your case to the Standards team for review and this is being discussed as I type this. I'll let you know what comes out.

Hi musicyouneed,

Yes. This has been discussed at length with CS and the best answer I got from them was "better use tracking." While what they are saying is true, I don't consider that to be a great answer to give to a Canadian seller. So I've taken your case to the Standards team leadership for a deeper study. So the bad news is, I wasn't able to get you clemency this time as of yet (I'll continue trying), and the good news is, your case has gotten the attention of the Standards team and even though it's too early to tell, this may lead to an update in the policy.

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

Thank you, Raphael. 

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

izzame
Community Member

RE:  Safari behaviour

I've been having the stated problem on every new listing since this year. Dec. fine ..... turn the page, new year, new glitch. Frankly, very time consuming. It now takes me 6 minutes to do one listing. This would also include the other glitches in the SYI form. i.e.. currency default, as I sell only in USA funds. The entire ebay website/platform needs to be more "Apple friendly" which not only bring them more updated with the rest of the world but would automatically correct a number of "glitches".That would also take time and money so back to the Micro**** mentality "We're working on a patch/fix" Put it out knowingly not working, and just keep repeating  "We're working on a patch/fix", "We're working on a patch/fix"

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

Thanks for bringing this up.  As you know for a Canadian with low cost items, under $10, using tracking is just too expensive.  Thanks for trying to get this resolved.  I agree that the policy should be updated.  I am sure I am not the only seller caught in this web.  I personally think that question is measuring the postal system rather than me as a seller.  I get the CD out the same or next day but have changed all of my listings to a 2 day handling.  I'm not sure what ebay is trying to measure here???

Even if the buyers had a response to getting it on time as: Not applicable.  That might help.  

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

Simple question

What is the point of allowing seller "no return" rule compliant listings?

If ebay overrules seller terms forcing returns/refunds upon seller.

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

izzame
Community Member

I really hesitate to bring this "hashed out to death" topic but I assume that's what this board is for. Shipping arrival time: here is a situation and suggested solution.

Yes, I have a proud mark of not received on time. ( I know it will be erased in Feb)

Item sold, buyer paid, was shipped within my one day shipping, buyer received it 2 days after CANADA POST'S ESTIMATED DELIVERY TIME. It was going from Mississauga On. to ALASKA.  So it goes from Miss. to Chicago, to Seattle, to ???

Buyer does feedback and checks No to receiving it on time which of course is correct. But I did my part by getting it in the mail system in my committed time frame. I still can't understand how ebay can literally make me responsible for the efficiency or lack of, of not one but two countries postal system. 

Possible Solution:     Have 2 questions:  

1. Was it shipped within the sellers stated shipping time? YES or NO are the choices. (I assume the buyer can look at the postage date. I suppose sellers can pre print postage but you can't cover everything. There will always be a small % who purpose try to find a way around.

2. Was it received within the estimated time. YES or NO

Using my situation above: # 1 YES,  #2 NO

In which case ebay is "monitoring" the sellers performance and not also making the seller responsible for the postal service's performance

Message 15 of 52
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Thanks for bringing this up.  As you know for a Canadian with low cost items, under $10, using tracking is just too expensive.  Thanks for trying to get this resolved.  I agree that the policy should be updated.  I am sure I am not the only seller caught in this web.  I personally think that question is measuring the postal system rather than me as a seller.  I get the CD out the same or next day but have changed all of my listings to a 2 day handling.  I'm not sure what ebay is trying to measure here???

Even if the buyers had a response to getting it on time as: Not applicable.  That might help.  

The tough part is for us to be able to detect these cases. Like you all we have is a buyer's stated shipping address. No other data point is reliable enough to make the right call every time. This is a huge reason why eBay is moving more and more to a model where tracking is the main data point, that's hard as rock when it comes to knowing what happens to a parcel. But yes, being a Canadian seller myself, I totally know the prohibitive cost of tracking and why it's ludicrous to imagine using it on every item.

Some thoughts on this: putting a "not applicable" option to the binary yes/no question might seem like a good idea, but I would personally not think so. The whole thing about implementing this question was to make it as simple as possible so we can end up with data that is much easier to use. Adding uncertainty to the mix would make it all worthless. Personally, and please understand I'm just brainstorming out loud, I'd much rather see the question re-written in a way that makes it more clear what we are asking. For example, we could ask "did the item arrive at XX address by YY date?" where XX is the address that the buyer stated at checkout and YY the expected delivery date.

Then there is the question around whether the buyer should be held accountable for misstating the true shipping address where the item is going and whether that should be considered a form of avoidance of the seller's terms.

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

@thegainfullyunemployableresurrectionist wrote:

Simple question

What is the point of allowing seller "no return" rule compliant listings?

If ebay overrules seller terms forcing returns/refunds upon seller. 

Hello thegainfullyunemployableresurrectionist,

A seller's return policy is in effect until such time as the buyer reports an item to be not as described. Only then does the eBay After Sale policy overrule the seller's return policy.

If a seller states "no returns" and a buyer wants to return an item for any other reason, eBay will not force the seller to accept the return.

Message 17 of 52
latest reply

@izzame wrote:

I really hesitate to bring this "hashed out to death" topic but I assume that's what this board is for. Shipping arrival time: here is a situation and suggested solution.

Yes, I have a proud mark of not received on time. ( I know it will be erased in Feb)

Item sold, buyer paid, was shipped within my one day shipping, buyer received it 2 days after CANADA POST'S ESTIMATED DELIVERY TIME. It was going from Mississauga On. to ALASKA.  So it goes from Miss. to Chicago, to Seattle, to ???

Buyer does feedback and checks No to receiving it on time which of course is correct. But I did my part by getting it in the mail system in my committed time frame. I still can't understand how ebay can literally make me responsible for the efficiency or lack of, of not one but two countries postal system. 

Possible Solution:     Have 2 questions:  

1. Was it shipped within the sellers stated shipping time? YES or NO are the choices. (I assume the buyer can look at the postage date. I suppose sellers can pre print postage but you can't cover everything. There will always be a small % who purpose try to find a way around.

2. Was it received within the estimated time. YES or NO

Using my situation above: # 1 YES,  #2 NO

In which case ebay is "monitoring" the sellers performance and not also making the seller responsible for the postal service's performance

Hi izzame,

Sorry that you got a late shipment on your record. As we have said before, we are constantly working to make the estimated delivery dates more accurate. Normally, shipments from Canada to the US have pretty good estimates (usually better than domestic estimates) but like with any postal shipments, actual delivery times are a bit variable. That's why we aren't holding any seller to a 100% on time, perfect record.

To address your suggestion, like I said in an earlier post, I don't think that multiplying the data points is the right thing to do. Besides, without tracking, we don't have a reliable way to know for sure if a seller shipped the item within their handling time (neither odes the buyer).

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

Tracking is not going to make any difference if your Parcel is not going to arrive on E-Bays dates .In some cases the Tracking can and will slow down the arrival date and if the Buyer checks off it did not arrived on or before E-Bays arrival date Tracking is not going to make any difference. I can not see why a Seller should be responsible if he mails the Parcel on time and after that has no control after that especially with Canada Post

Message 19 of 52
latest reply

@lukey9 wrote:

Tracking is not going to make any difference if your Parcel is not going to arrive on E-Bays dates .In some cases the Tracking can and will slow down the arrival date and if the Buyer checks off it did not arrived on or before E-Bays arrival date Tracking is not going to make any difference. I can not see why a Seller should be responsible if he mails the Parcel on time and after that has no control after that especially with Canada Post

Hello lukey9,

The part to keep in mind is that if a seller uses tracking and that the acceptance scan is recorded within the stated handling time, eBay considers that item to have shipped on time and we don't look further for proof of on time delivery. So yes, tracking makes all the difference.

Message 20 of 52
latest reply