July 6th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. The thread will remain open for the next 24 hours or so, please go ahead and post at your convenience.

Open issues:

• Anchor Store coupon not working/only working on AU site
  • Errors when uploading more than one tracking number at a time (repeated, erroneous numbers saved)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix rolled out or to roll out soon.
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 102
latest reply
101 REPLIES 101

Good afternoon Raphael.

Today I have a question about the "Trust & Safety" department at eBay

Please take a look at this thread from yesterday (post #2 gives you the big picture)

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/GLOBAL-SHIPPING-IS-A-TOTAL-SCAM/m-p/342822#U342822

Without any reference to the poster of that thread, or inference of wrongdoing, what does eBay do when a buyer repeatedly makes claims for non receipt of goods from foreign sellers  Is there not a system in place to prevent abuse?

We all know eBay "protects" sellers when tracking is used. That is not the question.  However, we also know that many purchases simply do not warrant the extra "tracking" costs.  Is there not a system in place to prevent abuse, when tracking is not used?

Or are some "buyers" free to steal as much as they want from sellers not using tracking?

Message 2 of 102
latest reply

Just had a buyer yesterday open an Item Not Received - INR through ebay.com because they had a question about the item, nothing to do with shipping, nothing at all. Luckily I had tracking for the item and the item was all ready showing received. I had to add tracking to the claim even though it was showing delivered along with tracking information. Complete waste of my time. Spent half an hour figuring who, what, where, when, and why for nothing. Why make it so difficult for buyers to ask a simple question, yet so easy to open claim against sellers.

Message 3 of 102
latest reply

Just checked - this item has not been implemented yet. Any idea when it will be?

• Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix rolled out or to roll out soon.
Message 4 of 102
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good afternoon Raphael.

Today I have a question about the "Trust & Safety" department at eBay

Please take a look at this thread from yesterday (post #2 gives you the big picture)

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/GLOBAL-SHIPPING-IS-A-TOTAL-SCAM/m-p/342822#U342822

Without any reference to the poster of that thread, or inference of wrongdoing, what does eBay do when a buyer repeatedly makes claims for non receipt of goods from foreign sellers  Is there not a system in place to prevent abuse?

We all know eBay "protects" sellers when tracking is used. That is not the question.  However, we also know that many purchases simply do not warrant the extra "tracking" costs.  Is there not a system in place to prevent abuse, when tracking is not used?

Or are some "buyers" free to steal as much as they want from sellers not using tracking?

Hi Pierre,

We do have checks in place to catch such patterns. Buyers who abuse the eBay Money Back Guarantee risk not being allowed to use it anymore, as well as getting their buying privileges restricted or their account suspended. This goes whether the seller used tracking or not.

Message 5 of 102
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

Just had a buyer yesterday open an Item Not Received - INR through ebay.com because they had a question about the item, nothing to do with shipping, nothing at all. Luckily I had tracking for the item and the item was all ready showing received. I had to add tracking to the claim even though it was showing delivered along with tracking information. Complete waste of my time. Spent half an hour figuring who, what, where, when, and why for nothing. Why make it so difficult for buyers to ask a simple question, yet so easy to open claim against sellers.

Hi merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

Sorry about the bad experience you had with your buyer, but glad you were able to resolve it.

It is easy for buyers to contact sellers with their questions. However, with literally hundreds of millions of buyers on eBay, we are bound to have a few who will use the wrong vehicle to do so. As for how easy it is to open a claim, why should we make that hard to do?

Message 6 of 102
latest reply

@theodoreides wrote:

Just checked - this item has not been implemented yet. Any idea when it will be?

Hi theodoreides, 

I haven't gotten a response on that yet.

Message 7 of 102
latest reply

tch_ca
Community Member

Carrying an item over from last week with respect to "killing off" fraudulent accounts from Ebay (Specifically what the process is). The account ID identified in this example was deleted from the the thread but I did forward an email to Raphael with details on the subject. Unfortunately the response was less that satisfying (not unusual from Ebay). I will not post the complete email sent by Ebay but I will post my response. Basically Ebay's response to me was to speculate reasons as to what "might" have happened as opposed to investigating the details and dealing with the issue. 

My response as follows,

--------------

Raphael,

This is just more of the same Ebay rhetoric. This is clearly a case of fraud. It’s not really an issue for my company since I am protected by PayPal and all these shipments were tracked. Where Ebay fails is doing it’s due diligence on the issue. Here is what I know.

1. The buyer charged back 3 items for a combined total well over $5000.00 (This is just from me)
  2. The buyer is unresponsive.
  3. PayPal (on numerous occasions), eluded to fraud with a stolen CC on the account during the many phone calls that were exchanged because of the amounts and numbers of charge backs.
  4. I’ve contacted two other sellers (from feedback on the buyer's account). One was another coin dealer, one a US jewelry dealer. Bothe were also charged back on for numerous items.

Mistake? Coincidence? Wrong reasons?.....Laughable response!!!! This is about as obvious as fraud gets! You have access to more information that I and you can easily do due diligence and have the information that I’m already privy to. I assume you have a back door to PayPal. Do you not? If the buyer charged back let’s say 10 items, is it not safe to assume that it’s fraud?????The point is that this is just another example of financial self preservation by Ebay and moving the burden onto the CC companies to take the loss and basically not taking responsibility and being an irresponsible corporate citizen by leaving the account active. I need a better response than that.

Message 8 of 102
latest reply

@tch_ca wrote:

Carrying an item over from last week with respect to "killing off" fraudulent accounts from Ebay (Specifically what the process is). The account ID identified in this example was deleted from the the thread but I did forward an email to Raphael with details on the subject. Unfortunately the response was less that satisfying (not unusual from Ebay). I will not post the complete email sent by Ebay but I will post my response. Basically Ebay's response to me was to speculate reasons as to what "might" have happened as opposed to investigating the details and dealing with the issue. 

My response as follows,

--------------

Raphael,

This is just more of the same Ebay rhetoric. This is clearly a case of fraud. It’s not really an issue for my company since I am protected by PayPal and all these shipments were tracked. Where Ebay fails is doing it’s due diligence on the issue. Here is what I know.

1. The buyer charged back 3 items for a combined total well over $5000.00 (This is just from me)
  3. PayPal (on numerous occasions), eluded to fraud with a stolen CC on the account during the many phone calls that were exchanged because of the amounts and numbers of charge backs.
  4. I’ve contacted two other sellers (from feedback on the buyer's account). One was another coin dealer, one a US jewelry dealer. Bothe were also charged back on for numerous items.

Mistake? Coincidence? Wrong reasons?.....Laughable response!!!! This is about as obvious as fraud gets! You have access to more information that I and you can easily do due diligence and have the information that I’m already privy to. I assume you have a back door to PayPal. Do you not? If the buyer charged back let’s say 10 items, is it not safe to assume that it’s fraud?????The point is that this is just another example of financial self preservation by Ebay and moving the burden onto the CC companies to take the loss and basically not taking responsibility and being an irresponsible corporate citizen by leaving the account active. I need a better response than that. 

tch_ca,

Is it fair to paraphrase my response to your email but to post your own comments in their entirety? I'll remind you that it's against policy to post private conversations on eBay forums.

As unacceptable as it may seem to you that the buyer's account isn't yet suspended, with all due respect, you don't have the full picture because we keep our users' account information private. I explained that to you in no uncertain terms in our email exchange.

Please don't post excerpts from private conversations with me on public forums again.

Message 9 of 102
latest reply

"Buyers who abuse the eBay Money Back Guarantee risk not being allowed to use it anymore"

Thank you for your reply.

So from your reply I understand that as long as "buyers" do not use the eBay Money Back Guarantee, eBay does not monitor abuses by members requesting refund from their sellers for non-receipt.

To the best of your knowledge, does PayPal?

One would think that any relatively new member making fifteen (15) claims for non-receipt in a few months would raise some "red flags" at eBay and/or PayPal.

Message 10 of 102
latest reply

I'm trying to use my coupon to buy shipping supplies at the company store. Why am I getting this message?

Enter code: Enter code: Apply

We can't apply this code to your order.

I'm being asked to log into paypal to comp[lete the checkout but when I do, this is at the top of the page We can't process your payment. Please select a different payment method, or check your payment details.

Message 11 of 102
latest reply

Never mind, I kept trying and eventually it worked.

But didn't you say that price was going to be adjusted? The 12-pack of tape is still $69.18 CAD. 

Message 12 of 102
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Buyers who abuse the eBay Money Back Guarantee risk not being allowed to use it anymore"

So from your reply I understand that as long as "buyers" do not use the eBay Money Back Guarantee, eBay does not monitor abuses by members requesting refund from their sellers for non-receipt.

One would think that any relatively new member making fifteen (15) claims for non-receipt in a few months would raise some "red flags" at eBay and/or PayPal. 

Pierre,

I apologize for implicitly giving you the wrong info. We do monitor refund requests even if the buyer doesn't escalate to eMBG. The important part is, we do pay attention to buyer abuse and take action whenever required. Also, to the best of my knowledge, PayPal has similar provisions in place.

In your scenario, the new buyer with 15 INR claims probably did raise flags, but you as a fellow user wouldn't be able to see or know about them.

Message 13 of 102
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Never mind, I kept trying and eventually it worked.

But didn't you say that price was going to be adjusted? The 12-pack of tape is still $69.18 CAD. 

Hi mjwl2006,

As far as I know all prices were adjusted. What you see now is the real cost of shipping those supplies over the boarder via USPS. Is it obnoxiously high? Yes it is, but that's how much is costs with the current program where the shipping supplies ship from the US.

We are working on a fully Canadian solution which will be much more attractive price-wise.

Message 14 of 102
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@tch_ca wrote:

My response as follows,

--------------

Raphael,

tch_ca,

Is it fair to paraphrase my response to your email but to post your own comments in their entirety? I'll remind you that it's against policy to post private conversations on eBay forums.

As unacceptable as it may seem to you that the buyer's account isn't yet suspended, with all due respect, you don't have the full picture because we keep our users' account information private. I explained that to you in no uncertain terms in our email exchange.

Please don't post excerpts from private conversations with me on public forums again.

Raphael,

It is one of the reasons why I paraphrased your side of the email. The content of what I sent is mine and mine alone. I wrote it, I have the right to post it. If you feel something is inappropriate or what I paraphrased inaccurate you can defend it or have it easily have it  removed. The answers you provided to my questions was inconsistent with the information I have already obtained. I may not have the "big picture", but I have enough information to know the intent of the buying account (that BTW is still active). The reason why Ebay doesn't like to kill off accounts because it then has to refund all the fees (correct me if I'm wrong) to all the sellers. In this case, I suspect it would be in the thousands. I'll be more than happy to paste your full response so that you don't feel your words are not being taken out of context. 

Raphael, I've made this issue public because it's yet another example of the complete lack of support sellers on Ebay by Ebay.  You see the comments on the threads, you know how the sellers feel about this stuff.

Message 15 of 102
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Pierre,

I apologize for implicitly giving you the wrong info. We do monitor refund requests even if the buyer doesn't escalate to eMBG. The important part is, we do pay attention to buyer abuse and take action whenever required. Also, to the best of my knowledge, PayPal has similar provisions in place.

In your scenario, the new buyer with 15 INR claims probably did raise flags, but you as a fellow user wouldn't be able to see or know about them.

I will do it again.

Sellers are allowed very few issues before they are restricted or turfed by Ebay even though they have no control over many of them.

Why do buyers not get the same punishment as quickly as sellers and buyers are allowed to run rampant for who knows how long. When something finally does get done, Ebay should be required to reimburse all the sellers for their losses since Ebay was a very large contributing factor

Message 16 of 102
latest reply

2nd coupon code and 2nd had to log in on ebay australia to use it. WHY!!!???

Message 17 of 102
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Pierre,

I will do it again but politely!.

Sellers are allowed very few issues before they are restricted or turfed by Ebay even though they have no control over many of them.

Why do buyers not get the same punishment as quickly as sellers and buyers are allowed to run rampant for who knows how long. When something finally does get done, Ebay should be required to reimburse all the sellers for their losses since Ebay was a very large contributing factor

Why does Ebay not set up the same strict punishment grid for buyers as they have done for sellers?

Message 18 of 102
latest reply

@tch_ca wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@tch_ca wrote:

My response as follows,

--------------

Raphael,

tch_ca,

Raphael,

It is one of the reasons why I paraphrased your side of the email. The content of what I sent is mine and mine alone. I wrote it, I have the right to post it. If you feel something is inappropriate or what I paraphrased inaccurate you can defend it or have it easily have it  removed. The answers you provided to my questions was inconsistent with the information I have already obtained. I may not have the "big picture", but I have enough information to know the intent of the buying account (that BTW is still active). The reason why Ebay doesn't like to kill off accounts because it then has to refund all the fees (correct me if I'm wrong) to all the sellers. In this case, I suspect it would be in the thousands. I'll be more than happy to paste your full response so that you don't feel your words are not being taken out of context. 

Raphael, I've made this issue public because it's yet another example of the complete lack of support sellers on Ebay by Ebay.  You see the comments on the threads, you know how the sellers feel about this stuff.

I totally understand what you were trying to do, I assure you. But in doing so, you breached an important rule. Please don't do it again.

You are making several assumptions, one of which is that if the account is still visible, it means the buyer is still active. That isn't necessarily true. I can't comment further on this.

Lastly, you are indeed wrong when saying that we would leave a fraudulent buyer's account active so that we could keep from refunding fees. If we can do anything about it, we don't keep fees on transactions that don't happen.

Message 19 of 102
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

We are working on a fully Canadian solution which will be much more attractive price-wise.

Having used my previous coupon ($109 or so),  I found myself paying approx $111 for a quantity of 50, 4 x 4 x 6 boxes. Whats that now, about 2 bucks and a bit,per box?  My current supplier, being U-Line (and also through an independent I deal with), charges me 33 cents for the same box, which would total  $16.50 for the same 50 boxes and, lets add in about $14.00 for shipping, totaling about $30.00.  A cringe-worthy $80 less. For 50 boxes. 

What is the corp going to do for their Canadian sellers moving forward to make up this extraordinary cost difference?

I won't even mention that the size box I bought is really not the ideal size for my business, as that was not made available through the seller. Oh wait, too late, I already did mention that, didn't I?  🙂

Message 20 of 102
latest reply