June 12th Weekly Board Hour

Hi everyone,

Raphael, Bryan & I will be your hosts for the hour - get those questions ready!

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Good afternoon.

I would like to follow-up on the questions I raised last week about eBay’s Global Shipping Program (GSP).

As stated, eBay does not provide a breakdown of the so-called “import charges”.  Often, the number does not seem to make sense based on what buyers know about applicable taxes.

Why can’t eBay provide a detailed breakdown of those “estimated import charges”?  How much of it is actually calculated for duty (if applicable)?  For taxes (GST/HST/PST) if applicable? Handling fee?  Brokerage fee? Additional shipping charge (from PB distribution centre to buyer)? Etc…

Also, have you considered opening a discussion board manned by Pitney Bowes personnel to answer questions on their program?  This was done by eBay way back in 1999/2000 for PayPal well before eBay purchased the payment system. PayPal staff was allowed access to eBay’s board to answer technical and policy questions.

A question that keeps coming back is: how do Canadian buyers get their PB “import charges” refunded if the transaction is cancelled? The seller refunds the purchase price,  that is easy.  However, how do Canadian buyers get their money back from PB? Similar question: how do Canadian buyers get their duty and taxes refunded should the goods be returned to seller in the USA?

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

2noggins
Community Member

Will eBay manage and moderate the community platforms going forward? If not, who will? Thanks.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Will eBay manage and moderate the community platforms going forward? If not, who will? Thanks.

Hi 2noggins,

Lithium, the new provider, will moderate the Community platforms.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Good afternoon.

I would like to follow-up on the questions I raised last week about eBay’s Global Shipping Program (GSP).

As stated, eBay does not provide a breakdown of the so-called “import charges”.  Often, the number does not seem to make sense based on what buyers know about applicable taxes.

Why can’t eBay provide a detailed breakdown of those “estimated import charges”?  How much of it is actually calculated for duty (if applicable)?  For taxes (GST/HST/PST) if applicable? Handling fee?  Brokerage fee? Additional shipping charge (from PB distribution centre to buyer)? Etc…

Also, have you considered opening a discussion board manned by Pitney Bowes personnel to answer questions on their program?  This was done by eBay way back in 1999/2000 for PayPal well before eBay purchased the payment system. PayPal staff was allowed access to eBay’s board to answer technical and policy questions.

A question that keeps coming back is: how do Canadian buyers get their PB “import charges” refunded if the transaction is cancelled? The seller refunds the purchase price,  that is easy.  However, how do Canadian buyers get their money back from PB? Similar question: how do Canadian buyers get their duty and taxes refunded should the goods be returned to seller in the USA?

Good afternoon pierrelebel,

These are all great questions for which I'll have to source answers from a colleague from the GSP team. For now the only part I can speak to is your suggestion to have a discussion with PB for the eBay community. This sounds like a great idea and I'll definitely look into getting this organized.

I'll get back with answers to your other questions as soon as I have them. 

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

A strange thing happened to me on June 7. I won multiple trading cards from one seller. She sent me a combined invoice, including shipping of $7.91, and I paid. But when I looked at my PayPal receipt, I noticed that shipping wasn't charged. So I logged in PayPal and shipping was not there. It was not on my "order details" on eBay either.

How did this happen? I did change the shipping address where I wanted to cards to be sent to (still in Quebec city though). Can it be why shipping was deleted by eBay when I paid? Or was it just a glitch? It's the first time it ever happened to me. Even when I changed my address for previous orders, it didn't do that. Any thoughts?

Before you ask, the item numbers are 310677950783, 310678905221, 310680687470, 350804225400, 350805117035 and 350805128036. Thanks!

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Hi 2noggins,

Lithium, the new provider, will moderate the Community platforms.

Thanks,

Another Social Customer organization.

Will the drop down list of Board violations be changing, and has Lithium been briefed on eBay Policy in order to act upon Board violation purported to be encouraging eBay Policy Violations?

----------------------------------------------------------

Q
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

A strange thing happened to me on June 7. I won multiple trading cards from one seller. She sent me a combined invoice, including shipping of $7.91, and I paid. But when I looked at my PayPal receipt, I noticed that shipping wasn't charged. So I logged in PayPal and shipping was not there. It was not on my "order details" on eBay either.

How did this happen? I did change the shipping address where I wanted to cards to be sent to (still in Quebec city though). Can it be why shipping was deleted by eBay when I paid? Or was it just a glitch? It's the first time it ever happened to me. Even when I changed my address for previous orders, it didn't do that. Any thoughts?

Before you ask, the item numbers are 310677950783, 310678905221, 310680687470, 350804225400, 350805117035 and 350805128036. Thanks!

Hi xena_monroe_bonjovi,

Looks like you lucked out on shipping on these items - looks like the Seller shipped them out today - maybe it's a case of free shipping on multiple purchases, just that the Seller hasn't updated their listings to this effect? If you're truly concerned, you're more than welcome to contact the Seller, but it looks like this wasn't an issue for them as they did ship all 6 items as of today.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Take a look: http://www.lithium.com/

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Hi Kalvin, Raphael and Bryan!

What recourse does a seller have in the case where a buyer, either through non-understanding of DSR ratings or malicious intent, gives glowing Positive feedback and leaves 1’s in all categories? Can’t contact buyer or ask for a revision if positive FB is left but it is obviously either a mistake or abuse of the feedback system.

Policy states "As a buyer, you're not allowed to bid on or buy an item in order to harm a listing or to leave negative or neutral feedback or low detailed seller ratings for sellers".

What does one do?

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Another Social Customer organization.

Will the drop down list of Board violations be changing, and has Lithium been briefed on eBay Policy in order to act upon Board violation purported to be encouraging eBay Policy Violations?

Hi my*quiet*place,

Lithium has been briefed on our guidelines, so they'll act within those policies, just as LiveWorld has been doing. As far as we're aware at this point, no other changes will be taking place when the transition is completed.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Bonjour les 'Roses'!  :-x

An off-the-cuff question: Has eBay received or collected any input or feedback on all of the recent sweeping changes to the site's aesthetics and layout?  I'd be interested to know if you are able to share the bottom line.  Overall, do buyers like it? 

I've seen comments on what many sellers think, but as a buyer my personal feeling has been that I wouldn't have minded a little "less" of the "more" everything all at once.   

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Hi Kalvin, Raphael and Bryan!

What recourse does a seller have in the case where a buyer, either through non-understanding of DSR ratings or malicious intent, gives glowing Positive feedback and leaves 1’s in all categories? Can’t contact buyer or ask for a revision if positive FB is left but it is obviously either a mistake or abuse of the feedback system.

Policy states "As a buyer, you're not allowed to bid on or buy an item in order to harm a listing or to leave negative or neutral feedback or low detailed seller ratings for sellers".

What does one do?

Hi vintagenorth,

In a case like this a seller would have to report the occurrence to Customer Support. The Buyer Abuse policy you quoted isn't judged on a single occurrence, hence why it's important to report any buyer whom you suspect is engaging in such behavior. the Support team will investigate to establish whether the buyer exhibits a pattern for this, and take appropriate action. This action may include the removal or "descoring" of the infracting FB as well as a temporary or indefinite suspension for the offending member.

With that said, in itself, leaving positive FB withy low DSRs does not constitute, in itself, a violation of the Buyer Abuse policy.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Bonjour les 'Roses'!  :-x

An off-the-cuff question: Has eBay received or collected any input or feedback on all of the recent sweeping changes to the site's aesthetics and layout?  I'd be interested to know if you are able to share the bottom line.  Overall, do buyers like it? 

I've seen comments on what many sellers think, but as a buyer my personal feeling has been that I wouldn't have minded a little "less" of the "more" everything all at once.   

Bonjour!

eBay is collecting feedback directly from the homepage and generally speaking those who use the new feed homepage love it.

As all site the homepage is the gateway to discovery and provide the tools to find items.

I'm certain the feedback is being used to shape the homepage as time passes. We recently just updated the homepage feed to allow shoppers to find the search box easier when scrolling down the page.

We love to hear all feedback even from sellers 🙂

Bryan

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

My Pet Peeve:  The Instability of the search results!

When I do a search I'd love to use the 200 items/page option but instead I opt for the 24 items/page.

That is because when I look at an item I get bumped back to the top of the page rather than the spot where I chose to look at an item.

This gets very annoying and tedious.

Shouldn't that be an easy fix and much important than all these tweaks?

Please pass it on to those who might care and have the power to do something about it.

Thank You

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

A few days ago, we had a thread with an opening post reading

"A buyer opened an ebay case against me for item not received on the 46th day. I thought it has always been a 45 day policy."

And yes, the claim was opened well over the 45 day time limit from time of payment.

Could you please take a few minutes and explain in details when a seller can actually be submitted to a claim after the 45days spelled out in the protection policy.

Why the exception?  Who authorizes it?  On what basis?

Do sellers have any control over the 45 day limit?

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Looks like you lucked out on shipping on these items - looks like the Seller shipped them out today - maybe it's a case of free shipping on multiple purchases, just that the Seller hasn't updated their listings to this effect? If you're truly concerned, you're more than welcome to contact the Seller, but it looks like this wasn't an issue for them as they did ship all 6 items as of today.

No, it wasn't free shipping. The seller shipped because I am an honest buyer and immediately sent a seperate payment directly from PayPal when I saw shipping wasn't charged. But it should be looked into, just in case it happens again.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

My Pet Peeve:  The Instability of the search results!

When I do a search I'd love to use the 200 items/page option but instead I opt for the 24 items/page.

That is because when I look at an item I get bumped back to the top of the page rather than the spot where I chose to look at an item.

This gets very annoying and tedious.

Shouldn't that be an easy fix and much important than all these tweaks?

Please pass it on to those who might care and have the power to do something about it.

Thank You

Hello I'm still here,

This is browser issue, I would try either updating your browser or trying another company. I personally use Chrome and it drops me back to the same location on the page by either click the link back to search or using my back button.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

No, it wasn't free shipping. The seller shipped because I am an honest buyer and immediately sent a seperate payment directly from PayPal when I saw shipping wasn't charged. But it should be looked into, just in case it happens again.

Something to note for sure, I appreciate the head's up.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Hi vintagenorth,

In a case like this a seller would have to report the occurrence to Customer Support. The Buyer Abuse policy you quoted isn't judged on a single occurrence, hence why it's important to report any buyer whom you suspect is engaging in such behavior. the Support team will investigate to establish whether the buyer exhibits a pattern for this, and take appropriate action. This action may include the removal or "descoring" of the infracting FB as well as a temporary or indefinite suspension for the offending member.

With that said, in itself, leaving positive FB withy low DSRs does not constitute, in itself, a violation of the Buyer Abuse policy.

But what if it is just a case of non-understanding of DSR's by the buyer? Does this mean seller just has to be stuck with the problem for a year, even though totally undeserved? Yes, will make a call to CS. Was hoping it might get picked automatically and removed.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply