Just a Reminder to all .. Get all orders shipped before the 31st when the price hike kicks in ..

Just thought I would throw a reminder out there if you the 29,30th get it out on the 29th or 30th ... Happy selling everyone

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Just a Reminder to all .. Get all orders shipped before the 31st when the price hike kicks in ..

For me, it's not a problem of getting things mailed (I only have one), it's the job of editing about 500 listings one by one, the bulk editing is not going to work for me.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Ouch ... I started Revamping my entie store last week so I am 1/4 of the way and I am adjusting prices and shipping accordingly for now..

That is gonna hurt having to do them 1 by 1 but it could be worse I am currently revising description/pictures and prices on all listings and it is taking forever and a day ...

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I can see that this would affect Flat Rate Shipping, but surely to Mighty Zarquon and all His little fishes, the Calculated Shipping will change automatically?

Oh wait.

EBay.

Never mind.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post sucks. They are beyond ridiculous.

They want to end all door to door mail delivery and on the record they have stated that they want to position themselves as the premiere delivery agent for all online purchases in Canada. Can you imagine? With all of their policies stating that they aren't responsible for this or that, especially destroying your packages, their absurd prices and horrendous customer service and they think they are the premiere anything other than the premier group of "words that will get filtered so no point typing them"

Everything I sell goes in parcels so I've already seen my increase for the year, as much as 50% in some cases. This time next year Canada Post will be nothing but a nasty memory as with their next increase there will be no reason not to use couriers as the costs will be roughly the same or at least close enough that i will no longer use Canada Post to save the few pennies.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Our government needs to first and foremost fire Lisa Raitt, one of the most useless ministers ever, and get someone in her position that can straighten Canada Post out. Then crush the union and cut all wages by 50%. that will be a start, From there the sky is the limit.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@treasure.hunter.d wrote:
... crush the union and cut all wages by 50%. that will be a start, ...

According to the National Post:
$24.59 - minimum wage per hour for a Canada Post mail dispatcher hired before Feb 2013

$19.14 - minimum wage per hour for a mail dispatcher hired after Feb.1, 2013

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Sounds like a good start to cutting cost ... I think people just can't help compare it to the US but as someone stated before .. Just 1 state in the US has the population of Canada so of course it cost Canada post WAY more to run there business ... Canada has SOOOOOO many rural town with population of 10-300 people it's rediculous ...

In order for Canada post to compete with US prices the only thing they could do is stop rural delivery services to boxes and or door to door in other words Cap Mail delivery to any place with less then 10,000 people and make everyone drive 10- min to 2 or 3 hrs to a major city to pick up there mail and somehow I don't EVER see that happenning so either that happens or we start all making babies like were trying to flood the country and eventually we will have better prices but by that time Gas will be so much that it won't matter..

The world work of supply and demand and Canada Post is doing what they can ... FYI anyone who know me knows I have a hate for Canada post like nobody else so I am not on there side but facts are facts ..

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

$24.59 - minimum wage per hour for a Canada Post mail dispatcher hired before Feb 2013

The numbers may be up-front correct, but, they are wrong overall. A per hour wage is not a take home wage. $24.59 becomes a take home of about $15.73. Yes, they lose $9 to deductions of some or the other. Was that part in the article?

$19.14 becomes very close to minimum wage. Was that part in the article? That wage earners pay taxes at a higher rate, pay for benefits, mandatory pension, plus other assorted check-offs. Was that in the article?

So? You are counting money they will never see as money in their pockets? How does that work?

Photobucket
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

The numbers may be up-front correct, but, they are wrong overall. A per hour wage is not a take home wage. $24.59 becomes a take home of about $15.73. Yes, they lose $9 to deductions of some or the other. Was that part in the article?

$19.14 becomes very close to minimum wage. Was that part in the article? That wage earners pay taxes at a higher rate, pay for benefits, mandatory pension, plus other assorted check-offs. Was that in the article?

So? You are counting money they will never see as money in their pockets? How does that work?

KISS

Using Ontario as an example:

Minimum wage in 2013 was $10.25 per hour.  So a person making $19.14  is in the same tax bracket as a minimum wage worker and has their wages reduced by the same percentage (15% federal and 5.05% provincial).  That worker at $19.14 earns about 87% more than a minimum wage earner - both before and after taxes.

Also, pensions and benefits are bonuses - not deficits to one's income.  A person without such perks probably has to invest much more of their take home pay to fund such perks than an employee who has such luxuries provided (either in whole or in part) by their employer in some form or fashion.

It can also be stated with a great amount of certainty that most minimum wage workers are probably not unionized and cannot claim at tax time any union dues.  So the Canada Post employee who claims 100% of his or her union dues is in actuality being supported by the taxes of all of society, including the minimum wage worker.

Also, a person at $19.14 per hour has a much better capability of investing part of his or her wages into some sound accounting practices that will better them self for the future, while a minimum wage earner has a much meeker ability after affording daily life.

Every wage earner in this country has payroll deductions.  Wages are always compared using the gross value, since take home pay differs so vastly from person to person.

An earner at $24.59 earns far more than one at $10.25 per hour

An earner at $19.14 realizes much more than one at $10.25 per hour

Saying that a Canada Post employee who earns $19.14 per hour (plus a pension and benefits) "becomes very close to minimum wage" after deductions is a slap in the face to all minimum wage earners.

Those Canada Post employees will see their CPP deductions when they enter their golden years.

Those Canada Post employees will see their EI/UI deductions when they eventually are laid off.

Pension, benefits, union dues were mentioned earlier... what else is there?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I can see that this would affect Flat Rate Shipping, but surely to Mighty Zarquon and all His little fishes, the Calculated Shipping will change automatically?

The price changes are for lettermail. There is no calculated shipping for lettermail.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

they don't advertise it but they always allow some grace at the old rates after the change.  of course that is if you stamp them yourself, not at an outlet

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Counting on that, not making any changes till end of the week.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

It seems like its not Canada Post that is the problem. It seems more like the minimum wage.

Who can live getting paid $10.25 per hour these days?. Hard work and all the minimum wage earners are just getting by. Seems pretty ridiculous. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually Canada Post need to cut those higher officals with much higher salaries and reduce the numbers of supervisors in each deparments.  They have too many supervisors in each departments each shift.  I used to work there as causal and see so many insane too many supervisors.  That is where Canada Post need to cut to save $$$.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@imbuzzy wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

KISS

Using Ontario as an example:

Minimum wage in 2013 was $10.25 per hour.  So a person making $19.14  is in the same tax bracket as a minimum wage worker and has their wages reduced by the same percentage (15% federal and 5.05% provincial).  That worker at $19.14 earns about 87% more than a minimum wage earner - both before and after taxes.

Also, pensions and benefits are bonuses - not deficits to one's income.  A person without such perks probably has to invest much more of their take home pay to fund such perks than an employee who has such luxuries provided (either in whole or in part) by their employer in some form or fashion.

It can also be stated with a great amount of certainty that most minimum wage workers are probably not unionized and cannot claim at tax time any union dues.  So the Canada Post employee who claims 100% of his or her union dues is in actuality being supported by the taxes of all of society, including the minimum wage worker.

Also, a person at $19.14 per hour has a much better capability of investing part of his or her wages into some sound accounting practices that will better them self for the future, while a minimum wage earner has a much meeker ability after affording daily life.

Every wage earner in this country has payroll deductions.  Wages are always compared using the gross value, since take home pay differs so vastly from person to person.

An earner at $24.59 earns far more than one at $10.25 per hour

An earner at $19.14 realizes much more than one at $10.25 per hour

Saying that a Canada Post employee who earns $19.14 per hour (plus a pension and benefits) "becomes very close to minimum wage" after deductions is a slap in the face to all minimum wage earners.

Those Canada Post employees will see their CPP deductions when they enter their golden years.

Those Canada Post employees will see their EI/UI deductions when they eventually are laid off.

Pension, benefits, union dues were mentioned earlier... what else is there?

Thank you for writing it out so concisely and accurately.

Cheers mate

thd

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

If my potential customer makes $24.59 an hour (before deductions) he can afford to buy a lot more of my stuff than a potential customer who makes $19.14 an hour (before deductions).

And someone making minimum wage can't afford to shop for anything but basic groceries.

You know how to tell if someone is overpaid? He earns more than you.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply