Just had the best service from a seller ever They went out their way to bypass the set duty on items

rdmidd
Community Member

Now appearing on items even before we bid ,that now makes EBay prohibited to Canadians for most items. eg. Bid on item, won for $19 Duty was set at $12 95 +postage to Canada $14 . States was $4 .= $23 US. Canadian price totaled $45 95.  Picked Item up in the States  declared it + $270 extra purchases .Duty for lot cost $20. yesterday R Middleton

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Just had the best service from a seller ever They went out their way to bypass the set duty on items

That's nice. Glad to hear you are happy.

How much did you spend on gas and time?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

rdmidd
Community Member

Ena .Re your question on  cost of Gas & time  I saved $15 on a Gas fill up (Diff in price between prices in US & Canada),Exactly 50% on the cost of the E Bay  item. I'm retired so the wait at customs was irrelevant. Also   the savings in basic food staples I bought .over 50% less than ours & the case of beer for $8.Ours over $20. Hope this answered your question on cost of time & fuel . Thanks for the oportunity to show the factual cost of my effort . because of it I will certainly do it again but stay overnight next time (.Hotels are also 50% less /night than ours) So I can rate more tax free duty. Exchange rate 7% US on Cash & credit  costs .  At the border crossing I don't cheat . I declare every thing  Reason ,the custom Guys are not mugs .recently I was sent across the St because he asked me if I'd shopped at Walmart ? I answered No. . I had a Walmart bag in my car He'd spotted . It had used item in it I'd bought at a yard sale . RM

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@rdmidd wrote:

Ena .Re your question on  cost of Gas & time  I saved $15 on a Gas fill up (Diff in price between prices in US & Canada),Exactly 50% on the cost of the E Bay  item. I'm retired so the wait at customs was irrelevant. Also   the savings in basic food staples I bought .over 50% less than ours & the case of beer for $8.Ours over $20. Hope this answered your question on cost of time & fuel . 

You may have spent less on gasoline and food than you would have in Canada, but how much did you spend in total?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

rdmidd
Community Member

$270. Duty $20 Reason there was more than me in vehicle & I think you are allowed $100ea ,but I;m not sure Also food might be exempt. from duty. I;m not an expert So am only surmising RM.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sorry, I obviously wasn't clear with my question.  How much did you spend on gasoline and food in total?  Was it less than what you would have paid in taxes (not duty) to have your item shipped to you?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply