Late Delivery strike all ready!

Received a late delivery strike within 1-2 days after estimated delivery date all ready via. Economy Lettermail (2-6 business days) that was quick... things just keep getting better and better...

Buyer purchased and paid on Monday, Jan 25, 2016 

We shipped Tuesday Jan 26, 2016

eBays Estimated delivery Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 - Wednesday, Feb 3, 2016

changed all my letter mail items from Canadapost Lettermal (2 to 6 business days) to Economy Shipping (1 to 15 business days) on ebay.ca and added a day handling times.

Thanks again ebay! You guys are on a roll!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Late Delivery strike all ready!

@dutchman48 wrote:

So it is OK for the buyer to cause bad feelings for what they do, but sellers can't reciprocate?

More and more sellers are reciprocating against buyers for absurd Ebay policies or no written policies as sellers are getting very tired of being abused.I did not create the late delivery, the post office did, yet Ebay makes sure the seller will be punished by the buyer.

I have a parcel coming from Arizona to Montana. The idiotic post office sent it to Maine and then Ohio before sending it to Montana. Is it then fair to punish the seller for what he has no control over. That is what Ebay wants buyers to do. I would never blame the seller or give him a late delivery strike. All I care about is that it arrived and is as stated.

Many buyers are not happy doing that so they join the BBL as a result.

The only reason these buyers are not happy is self inflicted with their I am a buyer, I get what I want, and get it yesterday, thanks to Ebay's idiotic policies for punishment.

Maybe some buyers are happy punishing sellers and they really are not unhappy.

It helps if you look at it in terms of what is right or wrong for your business rather than the buyer or seller being right or wrong. What matters is the visibility of your comments and the impact they have on potential customers. The vast majority of buyers are not going to be privy to our challenges and have different expectations than sellers.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Then maybe it is time to educate the buyers instead of treating them like they can never do any wrong.

Please don't get me wrong, the largest % of buyers are never a problem but Ebay has set it up so only a very small % of bad ones can destroy your business. That is the problem with Ebay's ridiculous policy.

I have no problem labeling the bad ones as such but Ebay certainly does and so do a lot of the posters on these boards. If that hurts my small business, so be it!

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

"anything that comes after the "but""

With all due respect, I think you are missing the point.  Read the thread from beginning to end.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

So it is OK for the buyer to cause bad feelings for what they do, but sellers can't reciprocate?

In this case the buyer may not know that he was doing something that would upset you  yet you still chose to call him out in public.

You're blaming him for something that ebay has set up.  If you really want to 'educate' him then do so politely and in a private message. 

I don't like the system either but 'outing' a buyer isn't going to change anything.

I'm not going to argue about it and try to change your mind about this but I did want to give my point of view.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
In this case the buyer may not know that he was doing something that would upset you  yet you still chose to call him out in public. 

Except take a closer look -- this was over an item that sold for under $5.95 Cdn (on Best Offer no less!) to, according to 'dutchman' someone with over 10,000 FB who had been on eBay 16 years.  

I honestly doubt someone with that much experience on eBay, grabbing an item that cheaply, is not going to be aware that his answers may have an impact on the seller.   

Although I'm not sure I would have left an open FB response like this one, I really can't blame 'dutchman' for lashing out in frustration at a seasoned buyer who thought it wasn't enough to get a bargain and receive it in good shape within a reasonable time, but felt compelled to answer "No" to the on-time question regardless of his satisfaction with the transaction otherwise.  I think this comes under "give me a break!".  Would I, as a buyer, answer "No" to the on-time question, if the seller had otherwise given me good service, even if I had no idea of the consequences?  I don't think so.   

Personally I think we're soon going to see a lot of bottled-up frustration of sellers coming out this way in FB over the on-time delivery issue.  Who knows - it may get to the point where such comments will be irrelevant in terms of a seller's reputation once buyers understand where the frustration is coming from.  

And that brings me to one additional point: Since eBay has seen fit not to include a 3rd option for buyers in this response (i.e. "Don't recall", "Don't know"), I think they have an absolute duty to explain the system to buyers.  Come to think of it, they haven't even made buyers aware that they are free to skip the question entirely!  Who knew?

Without such information from eBay, newbie buyers, or those who haven't been around eBay for years, are being hoodwinked into thinking this is just another "opinion survey" with no consequences whatsoever for the seller.  In my view this is really shoddy on eBay's part, in fact despicable.  At least let buyers know their answers will be used to directly evaluate seller's ability to continue business. 

By the way, I wonder if 'dutchman' can tell whether his overly frank buyer might be a competitor of some kind?  I think we may see this happening too -- competitors buying cheap little items sent by economy mail (i.e. no tracking) in the hope of being able to smack down a rival via the on-time question.  Buyers can be punished or restricted from buying by eBay for too many negative FB remarks, bad DSRs, UIDs, etc., but as far as I know it's open season where the "on-time question" is concerned.  And it really doesn't take too many of those "No's" to add up to big trouble, as we all fear. 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

<p>Not sure if anyone knows but is there a max number under the new defect ratings received from late delivery that a seller would be hit with selling restrictions etc. At this rate I will lose top rated seller status VERY quickly. All ready at .55% from one late rating within the 1st week. 11 years on ebay and this what it comes down to. One thing after another god forbid we dare ask for an actual functioning shopping cart that is compatible across all platforms or being pushed to sell in CAD over USD when regardless of the currency anything you view on dot ca is shown in cad funds. We ask far too much.</p>
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

You have to wonder whether this was eBay's brilliant idea for weeding out the last of its "traditional" core sellers other than in the U.S. (where the ordinary small seller can probably afford tracking on most items, at least domestically).  They have a big home grown market; they really don't need to sell internationally as we Canadians do. 

The new on-time metrics will also cause little difficulty for Chinese sellers whose shipping is heavily subsidized, or the largest retailers who already have tracked shipping arrangements with carriers.  

Oh, I know, I can hear the protestations of "conspiracy theorist" already.  But think of it from eBay's point of view -- which costs them more money, time, effort and trouble in terms of their bottom line?  Millions of little sellers outside the U.S. selling a variety of used, vintage or unique goods that can't be "standardized" by manufacturer's quality assurance or warranties?  Or would they rather have a few thousand professional and semi-professional retail sellers offering mass-produced products who cause eBay little difficulty (think CS phone time)? 

All we have to do to see what direction eBay is really headed is to critically study their landing page ads.  This is the face eBay wants to project - big, new, shiny, techie retail -- and these are the buyers it wants to attract. 

Those of us Canadian sellers who do happen to survive the on-time delivery debacle may soon find ourselves in fairly lonely company here, and find that the last of our buyers have trickled off elsewhere.  To be frank, I'm not sure eBay wants my kind of business here anymore.  I feel that, despite my years of sterling performance as a seller on eBay, I'm like that person in a little nook selling bric-a-brac that mall owners like to shove to a back corner of the basement floor -- you know the ones I mean. 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply