Listing .CA listings on .COM ?

I'd like to take advantage the 50 extra listings by putting my Ebay.ca items on Ebay.com. I tried to relist items in bulk on .COM but that wouldn't work. I tried individually...but couldn't change it to US dollars. Turbolister doesn't do it. I must be missing something because a lot of sellers seem to be doing it! So...what's the best way to go about it? Thanks in advance....Cheers!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

There supposedly is a program that allows you to convert listings from .CA to .COM (and it supposedly works for some people).

But for small numbers most of us list one a time (copying and pasting the info from the old Canadian if just redoing).

The major difference in listing on ,com is shipping (Canada Post is not a choice, you can use them to ship, but you can't use calculated shipping).

Here's a list of current shipping choices when listing on eBay.com for the Canadian seller (who ships from Canada):

To the USA
All flat rate, no calculated.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

You can have up to 5 separate International rates for countries you
select plus can have "Require buyers to contact you for international
shipping costs" as a choice. This last International option allows the
potential buyer to ask for a cost and you can calculate a shipping cost to their country.

A Canadian seller can still buy discounted shipping through PayPal from Canada Post.

-..-

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I was told a while ago that I could sell on ebay.com even though I live in Canada,now when I check with ebay reps they say no.Can anyone shed light on this as I see other Canadian sellers listing in US funds

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@oldconvent wrote:

I was told a while ago that I could sell on ebay.com even though I live in Canada,now when I check with ebay reps they say no. Can anyone shed light on this as I see other Canadian sellers listing in US funds

I don't know what "eBay reps" you are referring to but Canadian sellers have ALWAYS been able to list on dotCOM.  At one time that was all there was.  There was no eBay.CA.  

You just post your listing on the dotCOM site, make sure you say the honest location of the ITEM, and work out a shipping fee because you can't use calculated shipping.  You will be mailing with Canada Post but it does not set up automatically for US-listed items (obviously).  You have to work out the price and either include it as "free shipping" entering 0.00 for cost,  or estimate from the furthest point from you, like California or Florida and use flat rate shipping.  

You list in US dollars on dotCOM and in Canadian dollars on dotCA.  

If you got your information from someone over the phone, they are poorly trained and know very little.  Stick around and hear all the times when a member here had to explain something to the eBay rep, directing the rep to the appropriate eBay policy page.  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@oldconvent wrote:

I was told a while ago that I could sell on ebay.com even though I live in Canada,now when I check with ebay reps they say no.Can anyone shed light on this as I see other Canadian sellers listing in US funds

You've been misinformed (which is not unusual with eBay customer service reps).  I assume they told you this because they thought you were asking whether you could list in $USD on eBay.ca, which is no longer allowed.  All existing GTC $USD listings on .ca will be ended very soon (sometime in early January).  

There is absolutely no reason you can't list on .com as a Canadian seller, but as 'ypdc-dennis' pointed out, there are certain differences in the way items must be listed, particularly with regard to shipping options.  And of course you must list everything in $USD there. 

Take a careful look at the shipping options list that 'ypdc-dennis' posted above, and realize that on .com, "domestic" shipping will actually be your shipping rates to the U.S., and "international" should include one section to deal exclusively with shipping within Canada, and at least one for other overseas destinations.  Also be aware that you will not have specific Canada Post shipping services available, and that you will need to state all your shipping rates in $US.  Yes, and calculated shipping will not be available to you.  You will, in addition, need to be very aware of eBay's on-time delivery metrics and choose your shipping options on .com very carefully.   

When eBay first announced the removal of $USD listings from .ca, they provided a "migration tool" which was supposed to make sellers' job of moving listings over to .com easier.  Well, a lot of sellers reported that it was severely flawed and very frustrating to use.  That tool may still be available (although I believe it was slated to be retired this month), but if it is, I wouldn't recommend using it.  Manual transfer -- i.e. copying and pasting text into a "fresh" .com listing is the best way to move your listings anyway.  It's time-consuming, that's for certain, but will help to ensure your listings are accurate.  

It isn't simple to switch over to .com, but once you're accustomed to the U.S. site, it's no more difficult than any other eBay site, and it has some features that .ca doesn't offer.  By the way, you will need to get used to the new Seller Hub on eBay.com if you're going to list there -- it looks quite different, but everything is still there.  Incidentally, the .com "cart disconnect" (i.e. inability to mesh with other eBay sites' checkout systems) has now been fixed, so that is no longer the only reason to move if that was your main concern.  

Last point -- in my view it only makes sense to move lock, stock and barrel over to .com if the majority of your buyers are usually Americans.  Otherwise, you might as well stay on .ca. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

thank you to both for clarification on this matter,I had sold on ebay.com since 1999 but then they came up with tis change/s early this year and I just got frustrated and closed everything down and walked away from all the **bleep**. So now I am bored here seeing it's cold and snowy....yes even on Vancouver Island so I thought I would give it a go again on ebay. I just needed to confirm a few things before I signed up for a store again.Thanks again and all the best in the New Year to all.

Gunther

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@oldconvent wrote:

thank you to both for clarification on this matter,I had sold on eBay.com since 1999 but then they came up with tis change/s early this year and I just got frustrated and closed everything down and walked away from all the **bleep**. So now I am bored here seeing it's cold and snowy....yes even on Vancouver Island so I thought I would give it a go again on eBay. I just needed to confirm a few things before I signed up for a store again.Thanks again and all the best in the New Year to all.

Gunther

If you are just starting up again, I would suggest going non-store and using the 50 free on each site in case you get frustrated again.

If you do sign up for a store, make sure it is opened on eBay.ca Canada so the monthly fee is in CDN. If you sign up on eBay.com USA it will be the same numeric amount but in USD but cost you 35% more in exchange rates. Also sign up for monthly payments with no yearly contract so you can opt out anytime and not have to pay a early termination fee. When comfortable with eBay again and sales justify it, then maybe sign up for the yearly contract.

Listings created on eBay.com will show up on eBay.ca store so no issues.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

There is quite a community of eBay sellers on the Island, at least three of us are regular posters.

I'd suggest that when you list something that you keep a file of your listings and pictures.

Because I use Macs I can't use TurboLister which I believe will do this automatically, so I have a desktop file with thousands of descriptions and their HTML and yet another with photos.

If your plan is not to use GTC but to go for the 50 Free Listings, having those handy to pop in may cut down your listing labour considerably.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

You just post your listing on the dotCOM site, make sure you say the honest location of the ITEM, and work out a shipping fee because you can't use calculated shipping.  You will be mailing with Canada Post but it does not set up automatically for US-listed items (obviously).  You have to work out the price and either include it as "free shipping" entering 0.00 for cost,  or estimate from the furthest point from you, like California or Florida and use flat rate shipping.  

You list in US dollars on dotCOM and in Canadian dollars on dotCA.  

I thought about going this route, but when estimating the shipping like that, do you not run afoul of EBay's policy if there is a difference in the shipping charges and what you collect is MORE. I don't see a huge difference in rates depending on location in the US but there is some.

I suppose free shipping may be better and build it into the price, and heavily sprinkle "free shipping" into the description.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

bpl521_sell wrote:
 when estimating the shipping like that, do you not run afoul of EBay's policy if there is a difference in the shipping charges and what you collect is MORE. I don't see a huge difference in rates depending on location in the US but there is some.

I suppose free shipping may be better and build it into the price, and heavily sprinkle "free shipping" into the description.

You won't have problems with an overcharge unless it is really ridiculous.  Even then I don't think eBay does anything, only that nobody will buy it.  You can also add in a handling charge to your shipping cost.  A lot of sellers add it to the item price instead because buyers really don't like inflated shipping fees.  The total costs all come out the same but its a matter of perception.  

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/shipping-costs.html

If you don't like the idea of charging too much (if you are weighing, measuring, and entering the dimensions correctly the difference would be slight) you can always refund any overcharge to you buyer.  Buyers love refunds.  

"Free shipping" doesn't always work for everything but you can decide.  There will always be buyers who like it and those who don't trust it especially if buying multiples from one seller.  EBay likes sellers to use it.  There is even a check box for searching only those items that list with Free Shipping.  Its on the left of the page under Item Location. 

free ship.jpg

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

There is quite a community of eBay sellers on the Island, at least three of us are regular posters.

I'd suggest that when you list something that you keep a file of your listings and pictures.

Because I use Macs I can't use TurboLister which I believe will do this automatically, so I have a desktop file with thousands of descriptions and their HTML and yet another with photos.

If your plan is not to use GTC but to go for the 50 Free Listings, having those handy to pop in may cut down your listing labour considerably.

GTC listing duration is available for store sellers or non-store sellers. The 50 free for non-stores can be GTC. Just like a store.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Hey all great info,Like I said I have been out of the loop for a while-sold for years up until they made it paypal only then tossed in the towel and said never again,well guess I gotta eat of few crows now.The exchange rate is just about as good as it was back in 2001- 2003 I believe,anyway I', back.

Yes I did sign up for a store on a monthly basics  ,did that  on ebay.ca  as it  wouldn't except my info for the store on .com 

Yes I am aware of the shipping difference so I got a quote from my Post Office on the cost of the items I'm selling (books) to FL. I also will state that if cost are substantially less I will refund difference. I have converted the postal shipping costs from Canadian to US funds and even shaved off an additional couple of bucks to be as competitive as possible in shipping cost.Darn Canada Post does not have media mail like the USPS so it's tough to be competitive on that 

Yes I told them my correct mailing address,anyway I think that was it.

Again than you all for good positive information  and not slammin me for being a numbskull .

Gunther

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@oldconvent wrote:

Hey all great info,Like I said I have been out of the loop for a while-sold for years up until they made it paypal only then tossed in the towel and said never again,well guess I gotta eat of few crows now.

Well then, you're in luck.   Try the Kebabs   🙂  

http://crowbusters.com/recipes.html

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

LOL ,made a copy of that,need to lean the shotgun

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I was one too, until I switched coasts not too many years ago.  I think we may have almost crossed paths, going in opposite directions. Woman Very Happy

After 17 years on "The Island" at that end, I had to get used to thinking "P.E.I." whenever anybody here said "The Island".  Of course, "The Rock" is another kettle of fish entirely. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply