MC139 warning -'phishing'

I received this MC139 warning from ebay.  It's in regards to a pending transaction, what should I do?  The 'buyer' seems legit from looking at the feedback profile.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: MC139 warning -'phishing'

@sandy49-250 wrote:

I received this MC139 warning from ebay.  It's in regards to a pending transaction, what should I do?  The 'buyer' seems legit from looking at the feedback profile.

I'm not sure what a MC-139 is.  If it is in your eBay messages here on the site it will be legit.  If it came to your regular email but not to eBays, don't click any links in it.  

It's hard to know what to say when you have not revealed what the warning says.  Is it telling you the buyer is a scammer?  If you have sold an item and have not mailed it, and eBay has not actually stated NOT to mail it, then do so.  Use tracking if you are worried about a false INR claim.  

If you are really worried you can always call eBay's Customer Service by using the Help&Contact  link at the bottom of the page.  They can tell you if the account has been hacked or scammed by someone other than the original user, and confirm if you should send the item.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

yes, it means the account has been compromised, either hacked or unauthorized transactions, or is attempted phishing.. regardless, do not enter into transaction with this user, until you have contacted ebay..

i had a user who's son was using his account and credit card, buyer found out and did a charge back on all his purchases..

so yes contact ebay before doing any business with said account.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@sandy49-250 wrote:

I'm not sure what a MC-139 is.  If it is in your eBay messages here on the site it will be legit.  If it came to your regular email but not to eBays, don't click any links in it.  

It's hard to know what to say when you have not revealed what the warning says.  Is it telling you the buyer is a scammer?  If you have sold an item and have not mailed it, and eBay has not actually stated NOT to mail it, then do so.  Use tracking if you are worried about a false INR claim.  

If you are really worried you can always call eBay's Customer Service by using the Help&Contact  link at the bottom of the page.  They can tell you if the account has been hacked or scammed by someone other than the original user, and confirm if you should send the item.  

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Yes, I've been contacted that the 'buyer' account had been hacked and it was not a legitimate sale. It was a 'phishing' scam. Even ebay is subject to these 'people'. ARGH! Bullet dodged -I hope!!!
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

yes, it means the account has been compromised, either hacked or unauthorized transactions, or is attempted phishing.. regardless, do not enter into transaction with this user, until you have contacted ebay..

i had a user who's son was using his account and credit card, buyer found out and did a charge back on all his purchases..

so yes contact ebay before doing any business with said account.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply