March 25th 2015 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Welcome to our weekly chat. Please start posting at your convenience and we will join you at 1 PM Eastern, as usual.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: March 25th 2015 Weekly Board Hour

@rose-dee wrote:

[So if you're a big retailer and can pay for the privilege of not being affected by buyers being able to check out and pay, that's fine.  I just want to know what I'm dealing with.  Now I do.]

This is really not the case. The cart on eBay.com (and the one on eBay.ca for that matter) respectively work the same for all items, regardless of who the seller is.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

Is that customer service??? Probably a waste of time then!
Message 22 of 38
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

No, Raphael, I was automatically routed back to .ca just as soon as I clicked on one of the store's categories.   I didn't start there, I started on .com.  

This is programmed routing of customers to the proper place so they can check out. 

Sure, but you still were using the .ca cart, even though you started on .com. As I said, try the same items on eBay.com (grab the item number and search for it on eBay.com), then try the cart trick.

Yes, but that's not the issue.  The issue is when buyers will go to a major retailer by name, and land at the store, there won't be any problems in checking out.  I'd be happy with that! 

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

BTW, can you tell us how much it costs to have a store like this that will actually allow .com customers to check out through .ca? 

ScreenShot-BigSeller-step1.jpg

I'm sorry but you have this all wrong, no offence meant here. This store is custom built by a 3rd party and only managed sellers (large accounts) usually have that. This isn't a silver bullet to work around the eBay.com cart limitations though, as hardly any buyer ever browses a store before buying. Virtually all items on eBay are purchased from keyword search. Even if you paid $10K for a design company to build you a store like this, it still wouldn't solve your problem.

I'll say this again, you ought to list your items on eBay.com. Guaranteed no more headaches 🙂

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Incidentally, why has no one there at .ca mentioned that there are stores that function automatically through the whole process, regardless of where the buyer starts?  

Some sellers would have been grateful to have been told the details of the truth.  It might have saved all of us a whole lot of wasted time bandying this issue about. 

I still see it as a "disconnect" by the way, if one apparatus can't connect and work properly with the other.  A "dead-end" payment cart is not limited, it's broken. 

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

That retailer does not ship to the U.S. so perhaps that is why you were directed back to .ca. Is that the only retailer that you tested?

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Incidentally, why has no one there at .ca mentioned that there are stores that function automatically through the whole process, regardless of where the buyer starts?  

Some sellers would have been grateful to have been told the details of the truth.  It might have saved all of us a whole lot of wasted time bandying this issue about. 

I still see it as a "disconnect" by the way, if one apparatus can't connect and work properly with the other.  A "dead-end" payment cart is not limited, it's broken. 

The reason why this wasn't mentioned is that they are two different things, that are effectively not connected at all (or "disconnected" if you prefer).

Please read my previous posts. This isn't a silver bullet to solve the .com cart problem. There isn't any favouritism given to large sellers to side step known problems. Lowes Canada's store is actually where the limitations are, as it takes the user away from the site they logged onto without their knowledge, causing them to have to log in again, creating confusion, etc. This is a side effect that comes with wanting to have a fully customized, branded eBay store.

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That retailer does not ship to the U.S. so perhaps that is why you were directed back to .ca. Is that the only retailer that you tested?

No, but I'll definitely be checking a few more.  Surely these sites aren't set up without some advice, input or co-operation from eBay.  Saying they're "custom-built" doesn't alter the fact that it is obviously possible.  

My question to Raphael is why this solution hasn't been suggested or explored by eBay itself.  It clearly works for this particular Canadian retailer. 

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

No, it's just now the store's front end is coded. Once again if this seller's items are viewed from eBay.com, they won't be available to purchase through the shopping cart.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

No, but I'll definitely be checking a few more.  Surely these sites aren't set up without some advice, input or co-operation from eBay.  Saying they're "custom-built" doesn't alter the fact that it is obviously possible.  

My question to Raphael is why this solution hasn't been suggested or explored by eBay itself.  It clearly works for this particular Canadian retailer. 

Rose, This is not a solution. I'm really sorry I'm failing at explaining this properly, but you are not seeing this for what it is.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

The reason why this wasn't mentioned is that they are two different things, that are effectively not connected at all (or "disconnected" if you prefer).

Please read my previous posts. This isn't a silver bullet to solve the .com cart problem. There isn't any favouritism given to large sellers to side step known problems. Lowes Canada's store is actually where the limitations are, as it takes the user away from the site they logged onto without their knowledge, causing them to have to log in again, creating confusion, etc. This is a side effect that comes with wanting to have a fully customized, branded eBay store.

I did not have to log in again, I simply followed my nose and was automatically sent to the eBay.ca cart (well, evidently somebody, somewhere programmed that jump). 

It was simple, straightforward, and it worked, no confusion, believe me.  I'd be ecstatic if it worked for my store! 

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

BTW, can you tell us how much it costs to have a store like this that will actually allow .com customers to check out through .ca? 

ScreenShot-BigSeller-step1.jpg

I'm sorry but you have this all wrong, no offence meant here. This store is custom built by a 3rd party and only managed sellers (large accounts) usually have that. This isn't a silver bullet to work around the eBay.com cart limitations though, as hardly any buyer ever browses a store before buying. Virtually all items on eBay are purchased from keyword search. Even if you paid $10K for a design company to build you a store like this, it still wouldn't solve your problem.

I'll say this again, you ought to list your items on eBay.com. Guaranteed no more headaches :It is no small task to transfer all our listings to ebay.

I am sick and tired of being told to list on ebay.com. We are set up on ebay.ca, it is a massive undertaking to transfer all our listings and we are just one person. This cart issue is a massive undertaking ebay has the resources and the ability to fix it. Being treated like a door mat is a continuous slap in the face. ebay.ca is stuck with garbage cart that no can add items to, yet from ebay.ca you can add any items from any seller from .com. Bravo ebay, bravo!!!

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I did not have to log in again, I simply followed my nose and was automatically sent to the eBay.ca cart (well, evidently somebody, somewhere programmed that jump). 

It was simple, straightforward, and it worked, no confusion, believe me.  I'd be ecstatic if it worked for my store! 

You did not have to log in again, because you were already logged into eBay.ca. For 99.9% of US buyers that wouldn't be the case.

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

It works to bring Canadian buyers back to the .ca site. It wouldn't help a U.S. buyer since the company won't ship to them.

If you search by keyword on .com and then click on their listing, it does stay on .com. 

I have a link in my listings to my store...I have it set to land in my store but on .com. You could direct your buyers to your store by putting that link for your store and having it direct them to .ca

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

You did not have to log in again, because you were already logged into eBay.ca. For 99.9% of US buyers that wouldn't be the case.

Actually, no, I was originally logged onto .com with my alternate ID.  I didn't just change the URL, I in fact went out, and logged onto the eBay.com site separately, then searched by store name.  Clicked on a store category, and voilà -- I had a cart.  It was a thing of beauty! 

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:
Actually, no, I was originally logged onto .com with my alternate ID.  I didn't just change the URL, I in fact went out, and logged onto the eBay.com site separately, then searched by store name.  Clicked on a store category, and voilà -- I had a cart.  It was a thing of beauty! 

Try again the same thing and take a close look at which account you're logged into on either site. On .com you will see your alternate account. On .ca you will see rose-dee.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I have a link in my listings to my store...I have it set to land in my store but on .com. You could direct your buyers to your store by putting that link for your store and having it direct them to .ca

That's beyond me.  

I would prefer if eBay itself would provide a site that allows my buyers to check out and pay, each time, every time. 

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Whew! This concludes our weekly chat. Thanks for joining and see you next week!

Message 38 of 38
latest reply