May 15th Weekly Board Hour

Good afternoon everyone,

Kalvin, Community Manager, eBay Canada & I will be your hosts for this hour. Hope you are all doing well, please let us know how we can help.

Bryan

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: May 15th Weekly Board Hour

PayPal Expedited Parcel shipping is broken for a week.

When is it going to be fixed?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

When will Expedited and Tracked packet shipping be fixed? It's been more than a week! That is unacceptable! If we treated our customers like that, we would be out of business in less than a week!

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

2noggins
Community Member

I thought you had another fire alarm 😉

When reported, does eBay take any action against members performing invalid bid retractions? If it does, how do we see bidders with hundreds of retractions in six months still actively bidding?

If it does not, what purpose does the "Have 4 policy violation report(s) within 6 month(s)" buyer requirement serve?

Example: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=300899083986
Bidder has 281 retractions in six months.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

PayPal Expedited Parcel shipping is broken for a week.

When is it going to be fixed?

Hi pocomocomputing,

We're hoping the fix is just around the corner, an announcement will be made to this effect.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

eBay Sell Your Item form

1) Annoyance - SYI Draft listings - need a clear button to get rid of drafts

On eBay.ca only one draft is kept but on ebay.com it saves a lot of drafts. So annoying to see them all listed there. I sometimes create a test listing to check something but do not submit it and abandon it. A draft is saved. The only way to get rid of it is to schedule the listings and submit it then delete the scheduled listings.

2) Annoyance - SYI Saved listings

On eBay.ca, you can create and save an listings as a saved template without a photo uploaded.

On eBay.com, you cannot create and save an listings as a saved template without a photo uploaded. Which means I have to load a dummy photo and remember (the hard part) to delete it and add the correct photos. This changed on eBay.com when they enforced the rule requiring at least one photo in a listing.  It makes no sense if you are creating a SYI saved template to use to create listings to require a photo.

I know that ebay.ca does not have the problem yet since they have not fully copied the ebay.com SYI form and are not enforcing at least one photo. I would hope that you will conseder not requiring a photo to be uploaded for SYI saved templates.

3) SYI Help file -- Incorrect help file wording ???

In the eBay.ca or ebay.com SYI form help file in the photo section

Bring your item to life with pictures Add or remove options for pictures | Get help

Which brings up this help file on the right in a window

Pictures

Adding pictures to your listing increases your chances of success. When you upload pictures, make sure:

Each picture file size is 7MB or less.

The pictures don't contain graffiti, watermarks, or borders.

The pictures are at least 1600 pixels on the longest side. We recommend you don't enlarge smaller images to make them 1600 pixels.

If your picture is in JPEG format, it should have a quality of 90 or higher

Watermarks are allowed but within certain rules. Please explain the help file. Just a mistake?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

an announcement will be made to this effect.

The thing is, NO announcement was made regarding the issue. Do you really think an announcement will be made when everything is fixed?

Will our buyers be informed of that problem?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I thought you had another fire alarm 😉

When reported, does eBay take any action against members performing invalid bid retractions? If it does, how do we see bidders with hundreds of retractions in six months still actively bidding?

If it does not, what purpose does the "Have 4 policy violation report(s) within 6 month(s)" buyer requirement serve?

Example: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=300899083986
Bidder has 281 retractions in six months.

Thanks for providing this information, we will investigate this buyer and take action if required.

Bryan

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Yes, please, please, please, fix the shipping and make it known when it's working.  We're tearing our hair out.  😮

One question to Kalvin in follow-up to a previous board discussion -- Were you able to find an answer on whether Auctiva users (or other auction management users') who already had "business policies" or similar boilerplate business terms will be able to "opt-out" of the new eBay business policies?  This would save me, and I'm sure many other similar sellers, an enormous amount of time and trouble.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

eBay Sell Your Item form

1) Annoyance - SYI Draft listings - need a clear button to get rid of drafts

On eBay.ca only one draft is kept but on ebay.com it saves a lot of drafts. So annoying to see them all listed there. I sometimes create a test listing to check something but do not submit it and abandon it. A draft is saved. The only way to get rid of it is to schedule the listings and submit it then delete the scheduled listings.

2) Annoyance - SYI Saved listings

On eBay.ca, you can create and save an listings as a saved template without a photo uploaded.

On eBay.com, you cannot create and save an listings as a saved template without a photo uploaded. Which means I have to load a dummy photo and remember (the hard part) to delete it and add the correct photos. This changed on eBay.com when they enforced the rule requiring at least one photo in a listing.  It makes no sense if you are creating a SYI saved template to use to create listings to require a photo.

I know that ebay.ca does not have the problem yet since they have not fully copied the ebay.com SYI form and are not enforcing at least one photo. I would hope that you will conseder not requiring a photo to be uploaded for SYI saved templates.

3) SYI Help file -- Incorrect help file wording ???

In the eBay.ca or ebay.com SYI form help file in the photo section

Bring your item to life with pictures Add or remove options for pictures | Get help

Which brings up this help file on the right in a window

Pictures

Adding pictures to your listing increases your chances of success. When you upload pictures, make sure:

Each picture file size is 7MB or less.

The pictures don't contain graffiti, watermarks, or borders.

The pictures are at least 1600 pixels on the longest side. We recommend you don't enlarge smaller images to make them 1600 pixels.

If your picture is in JPEG format, it should have a quality of 90 or higher

Watermarks are allowed but within certain rules. Please explain the help file. Just a mistake?

Thanks for the suggestions & feedback, pocomocomputing. We'll put those forward. I agree on the watermark observation, I think we can clean up that wording.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

The thing is, NO announcement was made regarding the issue. Do you really think an announcement will be made when everything is fixed?

Will our buyers be informed of that problem?

Hi lady.stark,

The Expedited issue came up shortly after posting about 'Tracked Packet', and you're right, we didn't get a chance to update the Community of that report. Hang tight, we are pursuing a fix as soon as we can, and I'll make sure that an announcement is made (I post them 🙂 ) when they're both fixed.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Yes, please, please, please, fix the shipping and make it known when it's working.  We're tearing our hair out.  😮

One question to Kalvin in follow-up to a previous board discussion -- Were you able to find an answer on whether Auctiva users (or other auction management users') who already had "business policies" or similar boilerplate business terms will be able to "opt-out" of the new eBay business policies?  This would save me, and I'm sure many other similar sellers, an enormous amount of time and trouble.  Thanks!

Hi rose-dee,

I haven't heard back, I've sent a couple follow ups since I last emailed you. Sending another one right now just to keep on top of it. I'll drop you a note by the end of the week just to give a status update. I haven't forgotten 🙂

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Thanks Kalvin.  For some reason I don't seem to have received your previous email (this has happened before with another member of the team, perhaps a glitch?).  If you want, you can email me through the usual eBay message system to be sure I receive the note.  Thanks!

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

2noggins
Community Member

Thanks for providing this information, we will investigate this buyer and take action if required.

Bryan

This is but one bidder. In general, is there a guideline in place that addresses such chronic bid retractions?

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

A compliment is coming! Rare! 🙂

A new look to eBay.ca was implemented for the top header of each page last week.  I noticed that you added a flag to the English or French eBay.ca switch site.  Very nice visual to know which eBay site (USA or Canada) I am on since I have both sites open.

Makes up for the loss of the distinctive eBay.ca logo that helped know which site I was on.

Thank you for this nice simple solution to the "Which site I am on?" problem.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

A compliment is coming! Rare! 🙂

A new look to eBay.ca was implemented for the top header of each page last week.  I noticed that you added a flag to the English or French eBay.ca switch site.  Very nice visual to know which eBay site (USA or Canada) I am on since I have both sites open.

Makes up for the loss of the distinctive eBay.ca logo that helped know which site I was on.

Thank you for this nice simple solution to the "Which site I am on?" problem.

"Like"

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

This is but one bidder. In general, is there a guideline in place that addresses such chronic bid retractions?

Hi 2noggins,

There is an Invalid Bid Retraction Policy in place, where at the bottom, buyers can be reported if you suspect they've violated this policy. Here's the link to that page.

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I know that visually the little flag icons are easy to see and interpret.  I take it though, that you haven't yet had any complaints from French-speaking Canadians outside Québec saying that they'd like to feel they fall under the Canadian flag too, and not the fleur-de-lis?   I mean to say, I'm not sure that "Canadian flag" means just English...

Sorry to say, but I have a foot in both cultures, so I tend to see these things from a certain perspective.  That was my first impression when I saw the new visuals, a bit taken aback actually.  I don't think you'd see this on more sensitive bilingual sites.  And assuming most or all French-speaking Canadians are Québecois is a common misconception of anglophones.  Many other provinces have large French-speaking populations, and one province (New Brunswick) is even officially bilingual -- the only one at the moment.  The last time I checked, they were still part of Canada.  😉

I'm not sure what to suggest as an easy alternative, perhaps the Canadian flag icon with either "FR" or "EN" beside it.  We're used to seeing those abbreviations elsewhere. 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

I know that visually the little flag icons are easy to see and interpret.  I take it though, that you haven't yet had any complaints from French-speaking Canadians outside Québec saying that they'd like to feel they fall under the Canadian flag too, and not the fleur-de-lis?   I mean to say, I'm not sure that "Canadian flag" means just English...

Sorry to say, but I have a foot in both cultures, so I tend to see these things from a certain perspective.  That was my first impression when I saw the new visuals, a bit taken aback actually.  I don't think you'd see this on more sensitive bilingual sites.  And assuming most or all French-speaking Canadians are Québecois is a common misconception of anglophones.  Many other provinces have large French-speaking populations, and one province (New Brunswick) is even officially bilingual -- the only one at the moment.  The last time I checked, they were still part of Canada.  😉

I'm not sure what to suggest as an easy alternative, perhaps the Canadian flag icon with either "FR" or "EN" beside it.  We're used to seeing those abbreviations elsewhere. 

Thanks Rose-Dee,

We are listening. We have received similar feedback and have taken action to correct the wrinkle. It should be updated shortly. Thanks for your feedback.

Bryan

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

This concludes this week's Board Hour. Thanks for watching and/or participating! See you next week!

Bryan

Message 20 of 20
latest reply