May 8th Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers!

Let's take a break from the NHL playoffs and open up the floor to you all for the next hour. This week, Rodney and Kalvin are with me. Please go ahead and start posting your questions and comments, we'll start responding at the top of the hour.

Raphael

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

My post from last week was not discussed.

Global Calculated Shipping discount in the eBay listing.

1) The interface for the calculated shipping discount is horrible. It does not indicate what the current rate is set to when you have a value set. So you have to uncheck the option to remove it and reset the value.  I have to do this when I am not sure what I have it set to. I should be able to see what it is set to without deleting and resetting it when I just want to check what I set it to.

My eBay -> Account -> Site Preferences -> Selling Preferences -> Shipping Preferences -> Click Show

Offer this Canada Post shipping rate -> Edit

2) The calculated shipping discount should be by Canada Post service and not a Global setting.  For example, if a seller uses calculated shipping, then International shipping for USA can have Small Packet Air USA (no discount), Tracked Packet USA (14%), Expedited Parcel USA (18%) and Xpresspost USA (9%). How do I set a discount that can meet the shipping costs of all three services to charge closer to actual shipping costs so buyers are not scared away by higher shipping costs.

Please note that I am not saying to use all three services in one listing. I would be using it across all listings where I might use one of these.

The discount also applies to International shipping besides the USA with the same issue. With the addition of Tracked Packet, the calculated shipping discount one rate approach is more complicated.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

Good afternoon.

From eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/sellerprotection/bestpractices.html 

Use signature confirmation for transactions of $750 or more

For transactions of $750 or more, Signature Confirmation protects you from eBay Buyer Protection cases (Note: for PayPal Buyer Protect... 

Could you please explain the logic behind such difference between filing a claim with eBay and PayPal?

Why would any buyer in his right mind file a claim of non-receipt with eBay if the protection is substantially less than with PayPal?

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

A seller posted a question today here

http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Seller-Central/Premium-Store/4000008862

It has been some time now since I closed my store,  and am now thinking on opening it again.  I went through the information concerning the costs and the free listing,  but could not find it or missed it, concerning the number of listings available when you start say in the middle of the month.

I know that your Store fee's are pro rated so that you only would pay say 1/2 of the rate if you started on the 15th of the month,  but my question for those that may know, would the 500 free listings be pro rated as well??

My thinking is that they would be but could find no info.

Thanks to all that respond

Questions

1) Are free listing pro-rated when starting or ending a store. Can a seller get charged for using up all of their free listings and then going non-store or lower level store and being billed for going over the pro-rated amount?

2) If I have a non-store and use my 50 free this month, then get a basic store sometime this month of May, do I get an additional 150 free or 150 minus the free listing used so far by the non-store?

3) If I have a basic store and use up the 150 free and switch to a non-store, do I get 50 free by going non-store in the same month?

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

What is happening with Tracked Packet? It has been down several days now?

Apparently Expedited Parcel has issues starting yesterday also from recent topics.

When is PayPal shipping going to be fixed?

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi pocomocomputing.

My post from last week was not discussed.

Global Calculated Shipping discount in the eBay listing.

1) The interface for the calculated shipping discount is horrible. It does not indicate what the current rate is set to when you have a value set. So you have to uncheck the option to remove it and reset the value.  I have to do this when I am not sure what I have it set to. I should be able to see what it is set to without deleting and resetting it when I just want to check what I set it to.

My eBay -> Account -> Site Preferences -> Selling Preferences -> Shipping Preferences -> Click Show

Offer this Canada Post shipping rate -> Edit

2) The calculated shipping discount should be by Canada Post service and not a Global setting.  For example, if a seller uses calculated shipping, then International shipping for USA can have Small Packet Air USA (no discount), Tracked Packet USA (14%), Expedited Parcel USA (18%) and Xpresspost USA (9%). How do I set a discount that can meet the shipping costs of all three services to charge closer to actual shipping costs so buyers are not scared away by higher shipping costs.

Please note that I am not saying to use all three services in one listing. I would be using it across all listings where I might use one of these.

The discount also applies to International shipping besides the USA with the same issue. With the addition of Tracked Packet, the calculated shipping discount one rate approach is more complicated.

Good suggestions and observations! Thanks for the input.

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

Hi!

Last week, I said I was not able to subscribe to Anchor Store.  Today, I'm still not able and I still wait for the Consumer service answer ...

I'm on eBay.ca  Top rated but I always have the same error message,

Thank you!

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

Good afternoon,

According to eBay announcements the new fees were to begin on May 1.  FVF's were to be capped at 9%.  Why are we being charged the old rate of 11%?

I sell mostly in Jewelry & Watches which should be a FVF of 9%.  There is the odd one that was charged at the 9% rate but the majority have been charged the 11% rate.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

Good afternoon.

From eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/sellerprotection/bestpractices.html 

Use signature confirmation for transactions of $750 or more

For transactions of $750 or more, Signature Confirmation protects you from eBay Buyer Protection cases (Note: for PayPal Buyer Protect... 

Could you please explain the logic behind such difference between filing a claim with eBay and PayPal?

Why would any buyer in his right mind file a claim of non-receipt with eBay if the protection is substantially less than with PayPal?

Hi pierrelebel,

The buyer actually doesn't have the choice between eBay Buyer Protection and PayPal Purchase Protection. What site they purchased the item from will determine under which program they are protected. If they bought from eBay.com, they are protected under the eBay program and if they bought from eBay.ca, they'll be under the PayPal program.

As for the logic, the PayPal program is older and not as involved as eBay's. Simply put, they are just different programs, with different mechanics and different rules.

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

If a seller lists in 2 eBay categories, why is the second category charged an insertion fee for the allocated free listings for a store or non-store?

I understand why an eBay promo would limit flooding of categories when 100,00 free listings are offered.  But a seller should be able to use their free monthly allotment for a store or non-store when listing in two categories?

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

More info on the expedited parcel USA problem.  When we try to use it, the following comes up

"You have chosen an invalid package size for the class you selected. Please select a different size for your shipment."

I know that the size I was using is right...actually , I had done up a mock label earlier in the day (yesterday) to see what  the exact cost of that package would be and it worked fine then. But a couple of hours later, there was no way that I could get it to work.

So if we want to send a package with delivery confirmation to the U.S....we either pay a fortune for xpresspost  or forgo any type of discount and use the Canada Post site or go to the post office.  It really is frustrating.

Would you please pass this on to Paypal and perhaps they could prod PB to move a little faster. Many sellers are upset about Tracked Packet not being available. It was supposed to be available on April 9th but didn't work correctly and now neither TP or expedited USA or available.  PB does not seem to be that good in the customer service department.

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

What is happening with Tracked Packet? It has been down several days now?

Apparently Expedited Parcel has issues starting yesterday also from recent topics.

When is PayPal shipping going to be fixed?

Hi pocomocomputing,

We're working with PayPal to address both issues. We thank everyone for their patience & understanding.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

Good afternoon,

According to eBay announcements the new fees were to begin on May 1.  FVF's were to be capped at 9%.  Why are we being charged the old rate of 11%?

I sell mostly in Jewelry & Watches which should be a FVF of 9%.  There is the odd one that was charged at the 9% rate but the majority have been charged the 11% rate.

Thanks.

Hi westernstargifts,

FVFs are tied to Insertion Fees, so if the listings in questions were listed before May 1st, they'll be charged the old FVF rates when they sell. Hopefully that answers your question.

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

Hi pocomocomputing,

We're working with PayPal to address both issues. We thank everyone for their patience & understanding.

Thanks,

Will surface shipping international be available on paypal shipping in the future?

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Suggestion

GTC listings - Allow a number of times a GTC listing will relist. 

I want to have the benefits of GTC auto renewal but I want to limit how many times it relists. This way I can have GTC listing run for say 6 x 30 day periods and then end by itself.  The current way of having to manually end the listings is not ideal.  I have to remember to wait until the last couple of days to end as close to the end time. Ending the GTC also loses some of the paid for listing time as well as misses out on potential buyers searching by ending soonest.

Message 15 of 50
latest reply

Thank you for the reply.

"The buyer actually doesn't have the choice between eBay Buyer Protection and PayPal Purchase Protection. What site they purchased the item from will determine under which program they are protected. If they bought from eBay.com, they are protected under the eBay program"

eBay has been very vocal to sellers telling them they are getting better Seller Protection.  Great!

Why has eBay not told buyers they are in fact losing some protection? (the eBay.com seller is not required to provide signature for transactions between $250 and $750)

It cannot be one without the other.  More protection for sellers means less protection for buyers.

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again pocomocomputing.

A seller posted a question today here

http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Seller-Central/Premium-Store/4000008862

It has been some time now since I closed my store,  and am now thinking on opening it again.  I went through the information concerning the costs and the free listing,  but could not find it or missed it, concerning the number of listings available when you start say in the middle of the month.

I know that your Store fee's are pro rated so that you only would pay say 1/2 of the rate if you started on the 15th of the month,  but my question for those that may know, would the 500 free listings be pro rated as well??

My thinking is that they would be but could find no info.

Thanks to all that respond

Questions

1) Are free listing pro-rated when starting or ending a store. Can a seller get charged for using up all of their free listings and then going non-store or lower level store and being billed for going over the pro-rated amount?

2) If I have a non-store and use my 50 free this month, then get a basic store sometime this month of May, do I get an additional 150 free or 150 minus the free listing used so far by the non-store?

3) If I have a basic store and use up the 150 free and switch to a non-store, do I get 50 free by going non-store in the same month?

1) Free listings are not pro-rated when starting or ending a store. The free listings apply to the current calendar month, delineated in the Pacific time zone.

2) I will triple check, but I'm fairly certain we'll take the free listings you've already received into account. If not so, it would be easy to game the system by moving in and out of stores each month.

3) Same as above. I believe we will take the free listings you already received into effect.

In all cases, you can track your current status with respect to available free listings at any time by going to My eBay. You'll find it on the All Selling page, under Listing Offers, near the bottom of the page.

If anyone out there is interested in more info, you can get it here: http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2013/springfeesimplification.html?sspagename...

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

Hi!

Last week, I said I was not able to subscribe to Anchor Store.  Today, I'm still not able and I still wait for the Consumer service answer ...

I'm on eBay.ca  Top rated but I always have the same error message,

Thank you!

Hi lecoffre,

The error message saying you don't meet the requirements is accurate. I won't elaborate here for sake of your privacy but I'll say it has to do with your status on eBay.com. Feel free to write me an email if you'd like me to be more specific.

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

Hi pierrelebel,

The buyer actually doesn't have the choice between eBay Buyer Protection and PayPal Purchase Protection. What site they purchased the item from will determine under which program they are protected. If they bought from eBay.com, they are protected under the eBay program and if they bought from eBay.ca, they'll be under the PayPal program.

As for the logic, the PayPal program is older and not as involved as eBay's. Simply put, they are just different programs, with different mechanics and different rules.

Just to confirm, it doesn't matter where buyer or seller is located or which site an item has been listed on...If an item is purchased on .com, an opened case will always go through ebay's BP. An item purchase on another site will always go through Paypal.

Correct?

Regardless of where an item was purchased, credit card chargebacks always go through Paypal if that was how an item was paid for?

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

More info on the expedited parcel USA problem.  When we try to use it, the following comes up

"You have chosen an invalid package size for the class you selected. Please select a different size for your shipment."

I know that the size I was using is right...actually , I had done up a mock label earlier in the day (yesterday) to see what  the exact cost of that package would be and it worked fine then. But a couple of hours later, there was no way that I could get it to work.

So if we want to send a package with delivery confirmation to the U.S....we either pay a fortune for xpresspost  or forgo any type of discount and use the Canada Post site or go to the post office.  It really is frustrating.

Would you please pass this on to Paypal and perhaps they could prod PB to move a little faster. Many sellers are upset about Tracked Packet not being available. It was supposed to be available on April 9th but didn't work correctly and now neither TP or expedited USA or available.  PB does not seem to be that good in the customer service department.

Hi pjcdn2005,

Additional info is always good - maybe drop me a note as to what dimensions you were using so we can test & pass along?

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 20 of 50
latest reply