Migration Deadline?

What is the migration deadline date for U.S. dollar listings to be moved to .com?

Some months ago I tried doing that with the migration tool. I ended up with a huge number of duplicate listings using it as it does not automatically end the old listings. eBay ended them and I got my knuckles wrapped.  I just found out that the ones they ended were the converted ones and I have 520 non-compliant listing!

How long do I have to fix these?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Migration Deadline?

GTC US$ listings on eBay.CA will continue running until January 2017 (unless they extend that deadline again).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Migration Deadline?

FWIW-- I find that I can spot those duplicates quickly (even when I have a few thousand listings) by putting them in alphabetical order.

The titles then show one below another and I can choose to delete the dupes based on date listed or watchers or price or whatever.

I usually set up my pages to show 25 at a time, so I can remember which ones on my Unsold List are to be permanently deleted.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Migration Deadline?

The next deadline for USD GTC Listings on eBay.ca is January.16 / 2017.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Migration Deadline?

Good thing I didn't get myself tied up in knots trying to meet the August deadline.  I was too busy doing other things and noticed that my $USD listings on .ca were still there by mid-September.  I assumed (apparently rightly) that eBay was going to change their mind and extend the deadline, so I did nothing further. 

Now if they could just change their mind and reverse the whole stupid decision, I'd be ecstatic.  Especially since the .com cart now works.  What a shame, it would have given Canadian sellers the ability for once to realistically compete with our U.S. counterparts. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Migration Deadline?

Yes, let's hope they decide to keep them on eBay.ca.  

eBay.ca is going to lose a huge chunk of money with the possibility of ending millions of USD Listings in Jan/17. 

It might take sellers several months or longer to relist them depending on how motivated they are. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Migration Deadline?

@silverpinups wrote:

Yes, let's hope they decide to keep them on eBay.ca.  

eBay.ca is going to lose a huge chunk of money with the possibility of ending millions of USD Listings in Jan/17. 

It might take sellers several months or longer to relist them depending on how motivated they are. 

eBay won't be losing anything, the items that some sellers may not relist will still be available from other sellers.

After all we are talking FP items that are either multi-quantity (ie: freely available) or have been sitting unsold for 6 months or more.

Bottom line....US Dollar listings are never coming back to .ca

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Migration Deadline?

eBay won't be losing anything, the items that some sellers may not relist will still be available from other sellers.

After all we are talking FP items that are either multi-quantity (ie: freely available) or have been sitting unsold for 6 months or more.

Bottom line....US Dollar listings are never coming back to .ca

I never said USD was coming back.....

My items are rarely replaceable so I'm sure there are alot of sellers with unique one of kind items...

Also the availability of similar items might not be from Canadian Sellers, hence the loss of business.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Migration Deadline?

@silverpinups wrote:

I hadn't thought of it this way previously, but you might be right.  Some sellers just won't bother to relist immediately, some will doubtless leave eBay completely and go somewhere where it's easier to sell in the world's most common currency.  It's a hassle and time-consuming switching listings to .com, and by all accounts the migration tool was a disaster (in fact I seem to recall it will be phased out soon anyway).  

One thing is true though.  A lot of us sellers who do move our inventory to .com will be paying more in FVFs if we've been selling mainly to the U.S. and relying on using free (or low) domestic shipping rates on .ca to reduce shipping FVFs.  It makes it even harder for us to compete, since I'd guess few "niche" sellers can afford to offer free or reduced shipping to the U.S.  I used to use my savings on domestic shipping FVFs to subsidize my U.S. buyers' shipping.  I can't do that anymore, or I'd be losing money at both ends. 

Like you, I list a number of unique items.  Many literally can't be found elsewhere on eBay.  Maybe as you say eBay will extend the $USD again, but that's only postponing the inevitable pain.  

I'm really not sure at this point what I'll do come 2017.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply