More Ebay weirdness with no explanation

Several months ago I removed the authorization for a third party app called "Erated". I then had to go and manually remove all of the info that the erated script had injected into my listings. The find and replace in the bulk edit and turbolister doesn't work for beans so it took me literally hours and hours over a few days to trim all of the injected info out of my listings. As I mentioned, that was months ago.

Skip ahead to a couple of days ago and I see my listings once again mysteriously have had the "erated" script activated and the info injected into them. I go to my 3rd party apps listing and low and behold there is Erated right where it shouldn't be as I removed it. So now I have te repeat the task, hours of work, removing the injected info from my listings.

The only way this happens is if Ebay had a catastrophic data breach/hack/failure and had to revert to an old data back-up to save the day. I don't recall hearing anything about something of that magnitude happening recently, do any of you?

I called in to support (God I am a masochist) and of course no one knows anything.

So much for improved transparency on Ebay's part. Again, THE ONLY WAY this happens is if they had to revert back to an old data set back-up because of something happening with their live info or their most recent back-up to live round of maintenance. In any case, it is the sort of huge event that we should have heard about.

What's next?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It may be a question worth raising at Board Hour on Wednesday. Your post brought to mind this recent one from an industry blog: http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/12/1451576617.html

Thu Dec 31 2015 10:43:37
eBay Sends Mass Security Warning to Users

eBay sent a mass email this morning advising users to update their personal information with the subject line, "Help us protect your account." The email led to confusion and concern from eBay users who had to reset their passwords last year as a result of a security breach. "I have never gotten a message like this from eBay," one reader wrote to EcommerceBytes. "Is this something new you are aware of?.....

I routinely revoke third-party authorizations in my account settings. If I don't know what it is, or remember accepting it, I revoke it only to find It usually shows up again the next time I look. When they are ebay-facilitated applications, it would be better to have more details to go with that.

I did not, however, see any 'mass email' about 'personal information' on my account as is referenced in the article. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Skip ahead to a couple of days ago and I see my listings once again mysteriously have had the "erated" script activated and the info injected into them.

What sort of info was added to your listings?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It may be a question worth raising at Board Hour on Wednesday. Your post brought to mind this recent one from an industry blog: http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/12/1451576617.html

I did not, however, see any 'mass email' about 'personal information' on my account as is referenced in the article. 

I did not receive any email at all either nor did the oh so poorly informed Ebay Philipines support make any mention of it during my call in. Thanks for the heads up about the article.

Cheers,

thD

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Skip ahead to a couple of days ago and I see my listings once again mysteriously have had the "erated" script activated and the info injected into them.

What sort of info was added to your listings?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarice-Cliff-Cabinet-Plate-Biarritz-Royal-Staffordshire-China-Off-White-Bla...

If you look at that listing you will see an "Erated" block of info at the top of the listing description area. Unfortunately when you revoke 3rd party authorization to the app the listings do not mend themselves and you have to manually remove the html that is responsible for that chunk of info.Because the find and replace in any of the methods of editing the listing doesn't work for beans it means manually editing every listing, now for the second time.

Cheers,

thD

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Why not contact erated customer support and have them turn off or end your subscription to them. They may be able to remove it from all your listings.

Auctiva free showcase gallery has an option in their account setting to turn off the gallery. Opening a trouble ticket and they can remove the showcase from listings. Just cancelling the Auctiva token works but having the option turned off in setting is a better way and with the token still there, Auctiva customer support can remove their code for you.

I do not know if erated can do this for you. But if possible, this would be the best way to remove it. I searched online on how to remove erated but found nothing of use.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Why not contact erated customer support and have them turn off or end your subscription to them. They may be able to remove it from all your listings.

Auctiva free showcase gallery has an option in their account setting to turn off the gallery. Opening a trouble ticket and they can remove the showcase from listings. Just cancelling the Auctiva token works but having the option turned off in setting is a better way and with the token still there, Auctiva customer support can remove their code for you.

I do not know if erated can do this for you. But if possible, this would be the best way to remove it. I searched online on how to remove erated but found nothing of use.

Great idea :{)=

Unfortunately, they can't do anything to remove the injected info. That was my first thought when I realized what a PITA it was going to be to remove. The flow is turned off on Erated's end as well so there is no new info coming from there. This is old data that was pushed back in from Ebay's end of things.

Thanks for the idea though, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

thD

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Maybe it is another unannounced test Ebay is doing to generate more income. Or Gremlins.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply