More reasons to avoid the payments beta test

hlmacdon
Community Member

No paypal accepted if enrolled into the beta test and no opt out if your sales tank. No immediate access to funds for shipping labels during the test, 2-4 business days to get paid? Get stuffed.

See here for more details.

Love the misleading information ebay is giving potential beta testers regarding chargebacks and trying to market this as some form of seller protection which it is not. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: More reasons to avoid the payments beta test

I fully understand that. But my point remain: what if I want to buy from a seller enrolled in this stupid beta test?

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I was responding to your comment about closing shop and selling elsewhere once you have to use it as a seller. Personally I would rather stay with PayPal too but I am willing to see how the new set up works once it is implemented.  

As as far as purchases in the meantime, I suppose you have to decide how to handle it if you happen to buy from one of the few sellers that are opting into the beta program.  

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

I misunderstood what this thread was about, my response made no sense for the actual topic so I've zapped most of it.

However my closing comment still applies, I've survived a number of payment systems/methods delivered/forced upon sellers in the last 20 years, more will come, some will be more problematic than others....time will tell how bad this one is once it is here for real.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

My biggest concern about this entire issue and all its working parts,  is how well or how poorly the implementation and transition goes.  From Beta to Final there are still the possibilities for major flaws being missed.  And we know how smoothly other feature releases have gone recently!! There definitely needs to be some sort of a backup plan if things do happen to go awry so sellers AND buyers don't end up getting hung out to dry during that  process? This is one of those cases "Where here ya go" is not going to cut it!!!

-CM

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Folks who want to buy stuff will find a way. In my world there are folks who refuse to use PAYPAL and transactions can still be completed successfully.

For certain I would avoid this stuff while in Beta land, we must remember Beta means it is in test mode and really they are looking for folks to help them live test. Anyone who is relying upon ebay for a portion of their living would not be recommended to try stuff in the beta/test phase unless it somehow gave them a competitive advantage if it works.

By the time it goes live, many of the bugs should be worked out.

Certainly no sense worrying about it until a real implementation date draws nearer.....let the beta testers take the heat in the meantime.....
Message 25 of 28
latest reply

how is it a true test if, it doesn't give buyers the choice to use either ayden or paypal.  ayden is set to go after the new buyers, or the one stop shopper, it does nothing to accommodate the existing customers who are already set up with paypal..  after 5 plus years everyone knows what paypal is, no one knows what ayden is..

that should be enough to quash this whole theory of we can bring more buyers into ebay because of our new   payment system, Paypal takes credit cards, bank accounts- either checking or savings, so why a new system, for one that wasn't broke..

If it was just a matter of accepting apple pay, and bitcoins??(lol). then i am sure paypal would have helped them do this.. there is something more to this than anyone is going to tell us..

sellers beware, i know i am very nervous. when they shut off paypal, they will shut off millions of  potential customers that are already registered on it..

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Look at City of Vancouver, BC.... "beta test" of bike lanes removing countless lanes from bridges into/out of the downtown core. Not ONE has ever been removed. Now they say two lanes will come off the Granville Bridge... bunch of dumb monkeys running this city. Cyclists are even saying "we don't want this!!".

Managed Payments has so many problems. They need to add a search filter for those with paypal like myself who refuse to pay using another method (and as a result have previously had their credit card stolen many times) so you can filter out and not display sellers who don't take paypal. What a waste of time trying to find what you are looking for and 1/2 the sellers don't take paypal.

This is just ebay wanting paypal's fees, nothing more. What's in it for the buyer? Oh right.... NOTHING.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 28
latest reply