Mutual Cancellation Question

I have two pending mutual cancellations, both requested by the buyer.  Both of them have reached the 7th day today.  It's been a long time since I've had cancellations run the 7-day course .... usually the buyer agrees fairly quickly and I get my FVF back (or a newbie buyer can't figure out how to agree and selects "no", but that's another issue).  In any event, I thought they would automatically close in seven days, but when I select them in the Resolution Center, I don't have the option of closing. Have they extended the 7-day deadline?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Mutual Cancellation Question

@jt-libra wrote:

I've been watching video of the storm in Southern Ontario, rose-dee, which is the system I believe is headed your way.

Yes indeed, that's the one.  It's already shut down Boston, now it's picked up all that moisture over the Atlantic and is turning on us.  

Our neighbour's house across the road is now disappearing...  It's basically laughable as long as we're warm inside the house.  Even losing power isn't too bad really -- we have a good wood furnace that provides convective heat even without power.  I'd take this any day over the two earthquakes I lived through in Victoria! 

I'm completely off-topic now, aren't I?  Hopefully the monitors are having a snow day too. Woman Very Happy

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Just speculating but perhaps the new flow only works that way.

By the way, the one I cancelled yesterday, Feedback is blocked on that one

This is what happened on the one I did too, and I used the drop-down menu for that cancellation, as you mentioned.  That's my usual method anyway, but the "instant" processing and FB block was completely new, as were the post-cancellation messages/notifications to seller. 

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Well, if I ever break my resolution to never again agree to cancel (which is not very likely), I will try the More Actions option.  You could be right; it might make a difference.

How can you tell that feedback is blocked -- do you mean that column is greyed out in My eBay - Awaiting Payment?

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Where it normally says "Leave Feedback" (above the More Actions link) it says See Cancel Details, in the dropdown there is no Leave Feedback choice.

If I go to the bulk feedback page the item is still showing there and it looks like feedback can be left but I'm not sure if you actually can (I don't want to try).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

I see, thanks.

I guess I did initiate it from the wrong place.  My drop down menu still shows "Open Unpaid Item Case"; "Cancel Order"; "Leave Feedback" etc.

I can't even express how ticked off I am.  How in the world is a seller supposed to know that there are two ways to file a cancellation, one with an immediate result and the other taking 14 or 15 calendar days.

Well, if nothing else, maybe sellers can take something away from this thread -- the proper way to file a mutual cancellation.  And then again, I may be the only one who didn't know.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

In my own defense, however, I have been doing it the same way for years, but it has been a long time since the buyer ignored their obligation to agree to the cancellation at their end.

I don't recall reading anywhere that the procedure had changed to the "Cancel Order" option from the drop down menu.  Was there an announcement to this effect which I missed?

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

Yes it was part of Fall Seller Update

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/after-sale-experience.html

We’re also streamlining the cancellation process to make it easier for buyers and sellers to cancel a transaction directly from My eBay. Buyers can request a cancellation if they change their mind within an hour after the sale (as long as you haven’t already shipped the item). This will help reduce the hassle of unpaid items and help you get your merchandise back up for sale faster. Sellers will also have the option to cancel transactions directly from My eBay instead of the Resolution centre and, if the buyer paid with PayPal, sellers will no longer need to wait for a response from the buyer.

More details and screen shots of the procedure:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/after-sale-experience-details.html#faqs-2...

Don't feel bad if you missed it, I was away when the announcement was issued, I read a bit of it when I came back but mostly I find out about these things by reading stories of others failing to read them!

If you read closely you can see that there is still a need for the old and new systems as not all cancellations will fall under the new system (eg: Items paid for but not via PayPal).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Thanks so much recped.

I distinctly remember reading the part about the new one-hour cancellation policy and if one of my buyers had requested a cancellation immediately after a purchase, I would have recalled that announcement.  However, I must have not read the remainder of that paragraph carefully because the sentence you highlighted I don't recall at all.

My fault totally.  So I should get my FVF's back in a few more days and, hopefully, with no defects.

Thanks again.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Well, 'jt', you shouldn't really be too quick to take the blame.  EBay didn't exactly make it clear that sellers would have to put up with a longer timeframe and a completely different process if they hit the wrong button.  It would have been useful to have a comparison chart for example, showing what happens in which cases.  I suppose that's a bit too logical and helpful to expect from eBay. 

did notice that sentence in the Seller Update, but honestly it didn't fully register with me either.  The only reason I went down the right road with my cancellation was because that was the road I was used to using.  Like an old horse just following its nose along the usual route...Woman LOL

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Like an old horse just following its nose along the usual route...Woman LOL

LOL.  Thanks for your comments ... now I don't feel so stupid.

I was so glad to see your post.  I was hoping you weren't without power, or worse yet, crawling up and out of your snow burial plot.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

That didn't come out quite the way I meant it.  I had a rather humourous picture in my mind. Smiley Very Happy

Message 31 of 31
latest reply