Mutual Cancellation Question

I have two pending mutual cancellations, both requested by the buyer.  Both of them have reached the 7th day today.  It's been a long time since I've had cancellations run the 7-day course .... usually the buyer agrees fairly quickly and I get my FVF back (or a newbie buyer can't figure out how to agree and selects "no", but that's another issue).  In any event, I thought they would automatically close in seven days, but when I select them in the Resolution Center, I don't have the option of closing. Have they extended the 7-day deadline?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

It's actually 8 days as far as I know. The buyer has 7 days to respond, when the 7 days have passed you are on Day 8.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Thanks.  I thought it was like the UID where as soon as the hour has passed on the 7th day, you could close.

I'll wait until tomorrow.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

They seem to be closing after about 10 days? DId you check your account to see I'd you were already credited your fvf? As I think I mentioned in another thread, I have been instantly receiving the credit as soon as I send the cancellation.
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
They seem to be closing after about 10 days? DId you check your account to see I'd you were already credited your fvf? As I think I mentioned in another thread, I have been instantly receiving the credit as soon as I send the cancellation.

I guess it must be 10 days because this is the 8th day and I couldn't close them.  The message indicates they're still awaiting the buyer's response.  And, no, I haven't received the credits yet.

This makes me feel like being a little more hard-hearted and just sticking to UID's.  Up until now, when buyers politely ask to cancel with what seems a reasonable reason, I've been agreeable.  But then, so often, they either take a few days to complete the cancellation at their end or they don't hold up their end of the bargain at all.  And now, if I have to wait for 10 days, it makes me rethink this whole thing.  I still have to wait with UID's, but at least they can't leave feedback.

It's not a lot of money -- a total of $10 in FVF.  But I'm a very organized person and I like to see transactions completed.  It bothers me to have pending transactions .... but that's just me 🙂

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

I was just advised by a CSR that a mutual cancellation will close automatically after 10 business days.  Even more reason to file UID's only.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

That still doesn't explain why some mutuals cacellations have fvf credited right away. I miss the days when everything was consistent.
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
That still doesn't explain why some mutuals cacellations have fvf credited right away. I miss the days when everything was consistent.

I know you've mentioned before that you've received your credits right away.  My experience with mutual cancellations is that I issue them, and then I receive a message from eBay .... "Congratulations, the buyer has agreed to this cancellation" or something to that effect.  Then I confirm that my fees have been credited.  The wording always annoys me.  The buyer asks for a cancellation and then the seller is congratulated when they agree.  Even with the two I'm waiting to close, it indicates ... "the buyer has been informed that you wish to cancel this transaction.  Wha--a-a-a-t??

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Hmmm I wonder if the difference has to do with where the item was listed? The recent cancellations that I've had were listed on .com.
Message 9 of 31
latest reply

I just did a cancellation for an item that had not yet been paid for (listed on .ca).

I used the dropdown in My eBay, picked Buyer requested or address wrong and was told I had a instant credit of FVF's. (I can't check for the credit right now because it's the end of the month billing period where no info is available).

A few minutes later I received a message from eBay

You successfully canceled an order

Hi xxxxxxxxxxx,

You canceled an order from xxxxxxxxx, and we already notified them. You don't need to do anything else because the buyer hasn't paid for this order yet.

You'll get a final value fee credit in your account that you can apply toward listing more items to sell on eBay.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@recped wrote:

I just did a cancellation for an item that had not yet been paid for (listed on .ca).

I used the dropdown in My eBay, picked Buyer requested or address wrong and was told I had a instant credit of FVF's. (I can't check for the credit right now because it's the end of the month billing period where no info is available).

Hi xxxxxxxxxxx,

You canceled an order from xxxxxxxxx, and we already notified them. You don't need to do anything else because the buyer hasn't paid for this order yet.

You'll get a final value fee credit in your account that you can apply toward listing more items to sell on eBay.

You're lucky .... I certainly can't understand it.

One of mine was listed on .ca and the other on .com.  I'm now on the 10th calendar day and they're still not closed.  If I have to wait 10 business days, then it's the end of the week.  It's outrageous.  I will never agree to a cancellation again.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Hi xxxxxxxxxxx,

Yes, I did one of these about a week ago, and got exactly the same message and the FVF credit (I list and sell on .ca only).  

I'm surmising that the difference between this sort of thing and the long wait that 'jt' is experiencing may have to do with how much time has passed between the purchase and the cancellation, and whether the item is paid for or not. 

The rules on cancellations have become more convoluted, i.e. they seem to have split up what was once a fairly simple, straightforward process into several "streams", depending on the particular circumstances. 

I absolutely agree with 'jt'  that eBay could do something about their rather punitive wording to sellers around cancellations.  Processing a cancellation is, after all, doing the non-paying buyer a favour, even though it's often the smartest thing to do.  The days of eBay reminding buyers that "Commit to Buy" was a contract are long gone. 

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I'm surmising that the difference between this sort of thing and the long wait that 'jt' is experiencing may have to do with how much time has passed between the purchase and the cancellation, and whether the item is paid for or not. 

In both cases, the item was not paid for.  One was filed after one day (the buyer changed her mind) and the other was filed after 2 days, when the buyer contacted me to say she couldn't afford it.  And, again, one on .ca and the other on .com.

The CSR I spoke to over the weekend was able to see them at her end and was not hesitant in her response.  She said not to worry, they would close after 10 business days.  That was the first time I had heard the 10 business-day policy.  I wish policies were more consistent.

To accommodate non-paying buyers to this extent (AND ....still allow them to leave feedback) and to inconvenience the co-operative sellers for a 10-day period is absurd.  UID's from now on only.  I have nothing to lose.  It's not like the buyer would be so pleased that she might purchase from me again since she would automatically be placed on my Blocked Buyers list.  Or they can think the worst of me but they won't be able to leave me negative feedback.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

I agree with you, 'jt' -- this is the angriest I've ever seen you on these boards, but I don't blame you at all.  

It seems that eBay can't make the "experience" (I'm getting sick of that word) consistent on this site. First it's the cart/combined order issue, now this.  These are two big areas of concern for me. 

I too am going to rethink my policy of being accommodating to buyers who don't pay if it means waiting 10 days for a cancellation to close, and then risking FB/DSRs (= potential defects) besides.  That's 10 days -- plus the initial day or two after the sale -- that a potentially attractive item may be hung up before I can relist it.  You're right, it's ludicrous. 

I can't for the life of me fathom why my cancellation a week or so ago (and 'recped's' too) was so streamlined and immediate and yours so complicated and slow.  It almost seems as if there are two completely different programmes at work.  

For what it's worth, were your cancelled buyers in the U.S. or Canada?  Mine was a U.S. buyer. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

For what it's worth, were your cancelled buyers in the U.S. or Canada?  Mine was a U.S. buyer. 

Both my buyers are American.   And one of the most frustrating aspects of one of the cancellations, which I forgot to mention, is that the buyer who contacted me to say she couldn't afford the item, IS A SELLER HERSELF, with over 300 seller feedback.  Surely, she knows what a mutual cancellation is.

And to top it off, she's made many purchases since reneging on mine.

You're right, I am angry, but it's been a cumulative journey -- one bad incident after another until I just lost it.  But as they say, this too shall pass.

At least I have somewhere to vent Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

At least I have somewhere to vent Smiley Happy

You certainly do, and you have a completely sympathetic ear here!  You've put my own feelings about the cumulative effect of selling on eBay very succinctly too.  

I've seen the same tone of pent-up frustration growing slowly over the past couple of years amongst a lot of Canadian sellers who come to these boards (or to the Wednesday open board).  Sellers who used to be all smiles are now sounding very tense, and for good reason. 

I've got little else to do today but chit-chat on the boards because I've had to put my store on "weather vacation" for a few days. That is, I'll be able to chat as long as the power stays on.  

The snow is starting to pile up again, and we're told the heavy winds and real blast are coming later today.  We were already under 2 feet of snow before all this started.  I'm not sure we'll be able to get out the front door by Friday.  At the very least we're going to have to get out one of the doors to dig a tunnel so the dog can do his necessaries.  Woman LOL

There's apparently a second blizzard heading our way Tuesday night, and -- get this -- a new weather word for this year: FLASH FREEZE on Wednesday!  (Last year the new word was "Polar Vortex").  Then another 15-20cm of snow on Thursday.  I'm thinking all of that doesn't sound very good?  Woman Frustrated

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I've been watching video of the storm in Southern Ontario, rose-dee, which is the system I believe is headed your way.

I can't even fathom the amount of snow you're getting.  If we get 20 cm in one snowfall, people talk about it non-stop for weeks.  I guess you've learned to cope.  Hopefully you maintain your power so you can drink hot toddies, binge-watch Scandal or maybe some excellent British drama series (my favourite) and, most importantly, stay connected!

Good luck.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

jt, I'm wondering how you initiated these cancellation. Was it via the Resolution Centre or using the More Actions drop down in my eBay?

It was the latter for my cancellation. I'm not sure it makes any difference but who knows.

One other possible difference, were you on .ca when you cancelled or on .com?

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@recped wrote:

jt, I'm wondering how you initiated these cancellation. Was it via the Resolution Centre or using the More Actions drop down in my eBay?

It was the latter for my cancellation. I'm not sure it makes any difference but who knows.

One other possible difference, were you on .ca when you cancelled or on .com?

What I've always done is from the top left-hand corner of the listing page, I select "Resolve a Problem" and then "I sold an item and want to cancel a transaction" and then, " buyer requested ....... 

I always thought that it made no difference where I initiated the action.  Maybe I'm wrong.

As far as what site I was on when I cancelled, I can't be sure.  My default page is always "My eBay" on .ca, so I likely started from there.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Well if you get another one try the More Actions menu instead of the resolution centre.

Just speculating but perhaps the new flow only works that way.

By the way, the one I cancelled yesterday, Feedback is blocked on that one, is that the case for the ones you've initiated via the Resolution Centre?

Message 20 of 31
latest reply