My global shipping items were taken apart at Customs

I see the discussion on Global Shipping has been closed as "the question has been answered"????

Excuse me, I didn't see a solution such as remove the Global Shipping Program which is the only solution I want to see.  I will know now to avoid all sellers participating in the program.

Here is today's problem.  I just received two packages from US eBay sellers.  Both packages that been opened and not repacked properly - the packages were bulging when they arrived.  Inside is a note from ebay:  NOTICE OF PARCEL CHECK

"Your parcel was checked and re-sealed because either:

The country of origin or number of items had to be verified to complete customs form; or

Customs or transportation security officials viewed the parcel.

One of the opened parcels (both menorahs) was fine but will need cleaning.  However the second menorah was taken apart - the candle holders removed from the wooden and metal plate.  It is the metal plate which actually holds the nine metal candle holders - the candle holders are meant to move, while the metal plate and base hold everything securely.  Now the seller could certainly have removed the candle holders for shipping but I doubt he pulled the metal plate off the base - damaging the menorah.  Who is going to repair this:  ebay, Pitney Bowes, Canadian Customs or me.  WAIT - DON'T TELL ME . ... ...

Sorry for the blah blah above but I want everyone concerned about the GSP to know that it not only costs more, but the likelihood of your package being opened/damaged/poorly repacked - is high:   in my case 100%.

I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE FROM A SELLER USING GSP.  WHEN I SEE SOMETHING TEMPTING, I WILL TELL THE SELLER WHY I AM NOT BUYING.

Thanks for listening.

elly2mbk

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If the Menorah was what you would classify as damaged in transit, start an ebay claim for an item not as described.

The carrier will refund, not the seller, and it is almost certain you won't have to return it. Then just glue the plate to the wood and bingo, almost as good as new. No God worth their money will be fretting about the exact condition of the regalia, so it seems presumptious of you to do so. It smacks of Vanity,

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@elly2mbk wrote:

I see the discussion on Global Shipping has been closed as "the question has been answered"????

To which discussion about the Global Shipping Program of the dozens on this site are you referring?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hi elly2mbk.

Sorry to hear your most recent transaction didn't go as planned. 

As you no know, some items are opened and repackaged at the US Shipping Center. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Pitney Bowes has a little more info on their FAQ page - http://blogs.pb.com/ecommerce/2013/07/17/global-shipping-program-faqs/

In regards to refunds, afantiques is correct in that you are should indeed be entitled to a refund if the damage occurred during the international leg of the journey (i.e. after it arrived safely at the US Shipping Center). You can read more on this on the Buyer Terms & Conditions page -- http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Hope that helps. 

---Ben

Message 4 of 4
latest reply