My sales are not slow... they're dead!

I've posted a comment almost 3 months ago (http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Many-selling-issues-make-me-think-of-abandoning-eBay/m-p/...) about my sales going downwards.

I've had many great answers and tried to implement most if not all of them.  Result?  Nothing changed, I still didn't make a sale since June 8.  I was hoping that with my changes and the end of summer slowdown my sales would pick up.

I revised every listing, changing/lowering prices, offering free shipping on most items, adding a return policy, cleaning up the description, changing all listings to 30-day Fixed Price... I still don't understand why I don't sell anymore.

Also, when I view the logs, some items can get 1-2 visits and other more "popular" items can get around 100 visits, which I find anemic for a 30-day period.

Again, if anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I think you're selling in a tough category. 

Here is what I know about success on ebay: it is fleeting. Best Match rewards sellers who sell and when someone is in a tailspin, their ranking in Best Match suffers which makes it harder to attract buyers which makes it harder to sell. It becomes a vicious cycle.

Is there anything you can 'give away' at auction as a loss leader? Like just to get buyers in the door and stimulate traffic to your user ID and other listings?

For whatever the consolation is worth, most of us have been feeling the pinch since summer. Certainly, I'm not as busy this fall as I was last fall. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Oh, and you should be using Tracked Packet on these OSIRIS NYC 83 ULT Hi-Top Men's Skater Shoes US 7.5 Black/Gray - NEW instead of Expedited Parcel USA, provided the box weighs less than 1 kg. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Sorry for you.  Many buyers shop on ebay because they can't get the item locally, or that the price is better on ebay.  

• Compare your pricing with others selling on ebay and sell it cheaper.  
  • Think what would make me buy this item?  Can I get it cheaper elsewhere.
  • How much is shipping
  • Some items are just not worth it to sell on ebay.

For me, so far I am shipping out 19 items on Monday so my sales are good.  But I have had bad weeks too!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

That's kinda depressing... but still good to know I'm not alone.

The next time my listings end, I'll do another reevaluation and check what items I can "afford to lose".  By "give away" do you mean changing Fixed Price to Auction and putting the price at 0.99$ ?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If I were to "invest" in eBay marketing tools, which would be the best and are they really worth the money?  For example, does a 0.50$ bold text really attract more traffic?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@paradrox wrote:

If I were to "invest" in eBay marketing tools, which would be the best and are they really worth the money?  For example, does a 0.50$ bold text really attract more traffic?

Those are personal decisions you really have to make for yourself but I think none of that can ever replace quality items at a fair price with good customer service, all of which you provide yourself.  No amount of glitz will make your items more appealing unless someone wants to buy it.  

Ask everyone here to take a look at your listings and give you a HONEST appraisal of them.  And then take it seriously.  It might sting at first but it will be far better help and more useful than paying eBay still more money for something that won't make a difference.  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

There is NOTHING that you can do to change it.  Its beyond your control.  

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I took a look at your listings and I am not an expert, don't usually shop for what you are selling so please do not take offence.  

Your Oakley Mens T Shirt, I did a search for "new with tags" and this is what I got.     From $8.99 US to about $15 USD and that was NEW with tags.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Oakley-Mens-Short-Sleeve-T-Shirts/15687/i.html?Brand=Oakley&Sleeve%2520Lengt...

You say New in the title, however lower down you put pre owned used condition. You are asking $15, free shipping.  Now why would a buyer pay $15 for a used T-shirt when they could by a new one for around for around $10.

I wouldn't spend any more money on advertising on ebay, it's not worth it for what you are selling.  

Your duck tape would only appeal to a few buyers, teeny bopper types to decorate their stuff for school, books, lockers, etc.   Was good in 2013, was available at walmart for about $6.00, I doubt you would ever get $10 plus $11 shipping to BC for that now. 

and it goes on.  

As I said, do not take offence, I am not an expert.  If it doesn't sell after a while, then the price is too high, too out of date and sometimes you have to change what you are selling.  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

If it doesn't sell after a while, then the price is too high, too out of date and sometimes you have to change what you are selling.  

I don't actually agree with that. If you want to sell it and you keep it available for sale, it will sell. You will, however, have to wait until the right buyer finds what you are selling. That buyer might pick you because your feedback is better, or you are closer and can deliver quicker. It's not always about price. My own prices, for example, are high in comparison to my competition but I offer a superior level of speed and service. I would never apologize for price. My time, expertise and experience is worth it and more. 

About marketing tool, my advice would be to use the ebay tools like boldface, subtitles and gallery pictures carefully. They cost good money. I can attest they do attract sales but, literally, every time I used them in the past the item sold quickly and then went to unpaid. While the seller gets their Final Value Fees back with the closure of an Unpaid Item Case against a buyer, the seller does not get their listing and/or insertions fees back. So that extra $5 you might have spent to call attention to your item is lost if the item is a Cancel Order or Unpaid Item Strike. It's not recoverable. If you want subtitles and you are reasonably fluent in French, create your listings on ebay French Canada (instead of ebay English Canada) where subtitles, last I heard, are free. 

If you are selling lightly used or new without tags on clothing, you have to describe your item accurately and carefully. New means brand new. Like off the rack, off the shelf, not used, not opened, not handled. Over-promising will not pay in the long run.

I won't criticize your selection of goods or prices but I will say, as a buyer, I would be put off by the following as noted in boldface: 

PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY THE PICTURES AND MEASUREMENTS (WHEN APPLICABLE) BEFORE BIDDING. I TRY TO DESCRIBE MY ITEMS WITH THE MOST DETAILS POSSIBLE TO AVOID ERRORS AND QUESTIONS.  I NEVER USE STOCK PHOTOS, PICTURES ARE OF THE ACTUAL ITEM BEING SOLD.

SHIPPING

I SHIP TO CANADA AND THE USA ONLY. NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING OUTSIDE NORTH AMERICA. I USUALLY SHIP 24-48H AFTER RECEIVING PAYMENT (EXCLUDING SUNDAYS AND HOLIDAYS).

I ALWAYS SHIP VIA CANADA POST AND USPS. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT SHIPPING OR THE ITEM ITSELF, PLEASE ASK BEFORE THE AUCTION ENDS.

SORRY — NO LOCAL PICKUP

I would have to say it's obvious to a veteran buyer that all questions about an item have to be asked before it is bought so you reminding me of that is only going to make me think you already think I'm somehow dumber than the average bear. And if I didn't already know questions need to be posed before purchase, say if I was a brand-new buyer, it would simply make me think there were questions that item item which needed to be asked but that you're not saying what they are. It's ether insulting, or cagey. A bulk edit will take that away from all your listings quickly. 

Ditto for Local Pickup. Unless you are specifically offering Local Pickup as your Payment or Shipping Terms, your buyer cannot expect that of you. You don't need to say it. It only makes you appear cantankerous. And even though I do offer Local Pickup, there are really only a few times in a year (such as around Christmas) when anyone might be interested in that. So don't worry about droves of people ringing your doorbell, it's not a service often demanded. 

My advice to run some loss leaders may not stimulate sales of other items but it will generate traffic to your user ID and other items, views for your profile etc. Maybe even new Followers. I do this myself with overstock when I run out of other things to do at my desk. It doesn't generate much for revenue, but it does elicit interest in other items I'm selling and sometimes I can upsell on it with other products added to the order. Like if a buyer places a bid for one cent on my penny-start auction, I will send them a message saying I combine postage and any other item they might want to buy can ship for no additional charge with this one if they win it. That kind of thing. But don't run your one-cent auctions on items with free postage. That's a recipe for losing money and well as losing goods. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the comments and tips!  I don't take offence, I'm here to learn since I'm still a "junior" seller.  Always happy to hear from other sellers!

I didn't realize that my "legal" text would be problematic.  I put those phrases in to avoid future problems and people who would buy and then complain that the item wasn't like they expected.  I'll be trimming down the text in my next relist.

On the advice of many other buyers, I've switched every auction to fixed price.  As for the loss leaders, should I revert back to auction or can I keep a low fixed price?  For example, I was thinking about t-shirts: 0.99$ auction or 5$ fixed price, which would be better?

And if a buyer buys multiple items, can I combine shipping even if I required instant payment?  Or should I remove the instant payment feature and state that I offer combined shipping?

On the marketing side, would adding the "accept best offer" feature attract more buyers?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

paradrox wrote:

I was thinking about t-shirts: 0.99$ auction or 5$ fixed price, which would be better?

If you list something with a start price of 99 cents, be sure you will be happy to accept 99 cents for the item if there is only one bid.  Its your decision, but after the auction ends there is no way to get the buyer to pay more if you happened to want more. 

paradrox wrote:

And if a buyer buys multiple items, can I combine shipping even if I required instant payment?  Or should I remove the instant payment feature and state that I offer combined shipping?

Immediate Payment Required is best for those items which tend to attract nonpayers. If not getting paid and having to file a UI case is extremely stressful for you, you should leave it on.  Most sellers aren't too fussed about having to file UIs now and then, but some can't stand it at all.  Decide for yourself. 

paradrox wrote:

On the marketing side, would adding the "accept best offer" feature attract more buyers?

IMO adding BO to the listings attracts more lowballers, not more buyers, but you will have to decide for yourself if this is something you want to do.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@paradrox wrote:

I put those phrases in to avoid future problems and people who would buy and then complain that the item wasn't like they expected.  

Well you wouldn't want that.  So start by getting that word "NEW" out of the title for that blue  Oakley Men's T-Shirt.  If someone sees "NEW" in the title and then "Used but still in great condition" as a description they will back-click out of your listings and never return.  That would be a "good" result.  Worse would be they don't read the description but buy and expect a NEW shirt.  On a Not As Described case you either pay the buyer's return shipping to get it back, or refund the $15 and learn your lesson.  Which is it to be? 

Here is eBay's instructions about what you can and can't change in a listing and when:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/revising_restrictions.html

and this is how to do it:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/edit_listing.html#single

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I'm going to add a few suggestions, disagree with some, and give my views on your questions. 

First, paying for listing upgrades (like bold face) may not be a wise idea until you have more items with more sales to cover your fees.  It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem -- spend more money in the hope of making a sale?  I see it as a somewhat unwise risk given your present situation, with the few listings you currently have, especially if the enhanced listing ends up sitting for 3 or 4 months.  I think there are other ways to try to boost sales. 

I listed on .cafr (the French side of eBay.ca) for a couple of years, and overall the free subtitles did help with sales, but there are two caveats: 1) obviously you'll need to have a reasonable command of French; and 2) be prepared that since .cafr is a different listing site, revisions, etc. can only be done on that site.  This can make for some complexity until you get used to it, especially if you don't use Selling Manager.  Personally my view would be that if you're a relatively new seller, it's best to stick with listing on one site for the time being and doing the best you can to perfect your listings. 

I have to disagree about the explanatory text.  

I sell a lot of garment items, most of which aren't "stock" commercial items that people are familiar with.  It's important -- actually critical, in my view -- to remind buyers to check both the pictures and the measurements before buying.  Much frustration and disappointment can be saved on both sides by doing so. 

Similarly, I see nothing wrong with displaying a note reminding buyers to contact you if they have any questions.  

First, having been on eBay for over a decade I can tell you I get far more "newbie" buyers now than even 3 or 4 years ago.  I'm not sure why that is (I have theories), but it can only help to give them polite guidance about the transaction in advance, as you are doing.  Just keep it factual, courteous and friendly-sounding.  Although I'd generally say avoid all-capitals text, you are using a "quiet", smaller all-caps font, without bold, which comes across without the edge.  Still, you might want to try experimenting with a lower-case font for your selling terms, but one that is different from the rest of the description (see below). 

For the same reasons I see no problem mentioning that you don't accept local pickup, although I'd word it a little less bluntly, for example:  "We're sorry, but we don't offer local pickup".  Stating this in your listing could help to avoid problems with buyers (especially new ones) who hit the "Commit to Buy" button thinking they can make arrangements after the fact, only to see that shipping has been added to their invoice.  

I would also recommend leaving the "Shipping" title where it is.  It's a good idea to highlight it as a separate section.  

You seem to be using the photo gallery well.  The one important suggestion I would make is to use a somewhat larger font for your text description, i.e. make it the most prominent.  You want buyers to be drawn to that first.  Don't go overboard with enormous lettering, but something larger than you currently have.  use a slightly smaller, different font for the notes you want to add about shipping.  You could also add a bit more detail in the descriptions if possible. 

As for how to increase sales during a time when a lot of us are experiencing a slump, my best advice would be to list more items, as many as you can, in as short a time period as you can.  I found that 10 to 15 new listings is the minimum to do the trick.  More is better.  This will get you a boost in search visibility, hits, and watchers, which is the best guarantee -- if there ever is one on eBay -- to generate sales.  

I'm not convinced that sales alone are the driver of more sales.  If this were true, none of us would experience those gaps that seem to occur after a sudden flurry of sales.  In this regard, I personally would strongly discourage you from offering $5.00 loss leaders, $0.99 auctions, etc.  Unless you have a wide, large selection of other items on offer, these sorts of near-giveaway listings are guaranteed to attract what many sellers refer to as "bottom feeders", the something-for-nothing crowd, who are more likely to cause other kinds of trouble for you than buyers who are willing to pay a fair price for a decent product.  Offering such items when you already have relatively few listings will tend to cheapen the rest of your listings. 

So, my suggestions would be to: 

1)  Try to list at least 10 new items in a group within the next few days, before it gets too close to Christmas; 

2)  Choose new items to list that are of good quality, easy to ship inexpensively, and price them reasonably but not at fire-sale prices; 

3)  Pick 2 or 3 of your higher-priced, more attractive items and use Best Offer on those.  Decide in advance what your minimum selling price will be on those and don't get entangled in multiple back-and-forth haggling.  I'd avoid over-use of Best Offer, especially on lower-priced items, as this can backfire in buyer expectations of getting everything on the cheap, and can make you look desperate (i.e. signal "fire-sale"). 

4)  Reconsider your shipping strategy on the more expensive items (I see you're offering free shipping on some of your items, which is good).  For example, on the Garneau shoes, your price is $30.00 Cdn plus $18.81 shipping domestically and $16.65 to the U.S.  I'd recommend rolling some if not all of that shipping cost into the item price, and/or absorbing some of the shipping cost yourself to make it more appealing.  The Garneau shoes could be listed for, say, $46.00 Cdn with free shipping and Best Offer.  Free shipping should also get you a boost in visibility.  Many buyers will be searching by items with free shipping first. 

5)  Do switch to fixed-priced, as you've said.  And use 30-day rather than shorter duration, to collect more hits and watchers.  I find the display of watchers by eBay can in itself facilitate a sale -- human psychology at work. 

6)  Instant Payment may be a problem.  There are differing opinions on this.  Personally I'm happy to allow buyers a couple of days to pay if necessary, but these days I find most buyers pay immediately anyway.  Offering combined shipping can only help -- it's always a good idea! 

7)  Are you just planning to sell off some personal items, or really jump into selling as a business here?  If the latter, you may want to consider a store subscription once your sales improve and you have most listings.  I'd say 75-80 is about the minimum to be successful with a store. 

😎  Be patient.  I see a lot of reports from sellers who have been selling for years stating they've had a very poor few months, including myself.  Because I sell on other sites and am seeing the same thing, I believe there are external (i.e. non-eBay) factors involved.  

Sorry to make this such a long post, but I hope some of these ideas will help.  They are gleaned from many years as both buyer and seller on eBay.  You're doing most things right, so a few changes may make a significant difference. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply