New International form to be filled out when shipping from Canada to international.

zalt57
Community Member

The new form is requesting the phone number of the buyer.   I find this to be too invasive to privacy of the buyer.  What if they do no wish to give out their phone number?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

New International form to be filled out when shipping from Canada to international.

If you log in on eBay.com and click on View Order Details from there, you can often see the buyer's phone number listed on the Order Details page.

You can also go to your Site Preferences > Shipping Preferences and check the box, "Require phone number for shipping".

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Everyone's basic information...

including the telephone number can be found on many locations on the internet.

Put your address into Google...

and if Google did it right... you just might find yourself standing in front of where you live.. on your computer..screen

These sites and more have been used to confirm addresses that look strange... or anything that requires some measure of confirmation...addresses, postal codes... and more...

Everything we know about a buyer is "Private"... and must be handled appropriately.

and when we put that telephone number on a parcel... Canada Post must follow through with the intent of Canada's Privacy Act...

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@zalt57 wrote:

The new form is requesting the phone number of the buyer.

I find this to be too invasive to privacy of the buyer.

What if they do no wish to give out their phone number?

Just leave it blank or use the TV/movie industry standard: 555-555-5555

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Phone numbers have been required by Customs for a long time. It was never enforced.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

The new customs form information to be filled out on the internet requires the phone number of the buyer... but not the seller...

Link to 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e1s1

Buyer's phone number has a red star indicating the telephone number is required... without question

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Alrighty, I am not understanding something.

I just printed a shipping label from Paypal shipping, no buyer phone number on it, no prompts, no nothing.

Label states "no manifest required". Small Packet air, going to the US, valued at $67.

What forms, for what value, to where, are you talking about?
Photobucket
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

"What forms, for what value, to where, are you talking about?"

The requirement of a phone number for recipient (buyer) has been on the Canada Post Expedited USA forms for at least fifteen years.

I know nothing about PayPal shipping.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Pierre, I know that.

Paypal shipping label is a CN22. I select "other", notated as "vehicle part". I get asked for country and province of origin, plus HS code. Pay the postage, label prints.

Just did one with no phone number.

What forms are the above posters talking about?
Photobucket
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

The link in reply 6 applies to

Expedited Parcel USA

Xpresspost USA

Xpresspost International.

These three were the first three.

Then came Tracked packet USA

The telephone number is there if the post office has to contact the person receiving the parcel

A telephone number is not a sacred number...

It is there for everyone to find and use... unless  there is a specific request NOT to have the telephone number visible to everyone.....  

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

If the number shows on the sales record on ebay ... it is there to be used....

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

The link in reply 6 applies to

Expedited Parcel USA

Xpresspost USA

Xpresspost International.

These three were the first three.

Then came Tracked packet USA

The telephone number is there if the post office has to contact the person receiving the parcel

A telephone number is not a sacred number...

It is there for everyone to find and use... unless  there is a specific request NOT to have the telephone number visible to everyone.....  

That helps a bit. I use Paypal shipping and I enter all info there. That is transported to the barcode that is printed on my shipping label. None of these changes have affected me. The ladies at the PO say "They never will".

Photobucket
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Also available on Contact Information....

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

What forms, for what value, to where, are you talking about?

I believe that they are talking about the new customs form that you can print online at Canada Post with the HS code. That is just for the tracked services and only when you are buying your postage at the p.o or using stamps.

Paypal labels don't require a phone number.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I agree with the OP: requesting the phone number of the buyer and/or seller on the customs form is an invasion of privacy. When my phone number as a seller appears on the PayPal/eBay shipping label, I make a point of blacking it out with a felt pen.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who's been phoned by the post office advising that they have a parcel for him/her.

Tom

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

You can do whatever you want as long as they are not enforcing those rules. If and when they decide to enforce that, what will be your plan then? When your parcels all get returned to you?

I mean, it may never come to that, famous last words, but, what is your plan then? Yell, stomp yer feet, hold yer breath until your face turns blue?

Tom, tell ya a story. I was rocketing down a highway in Nevada a few years back. Highway patrol decided I was ripe for the picking. I sat there for a few minutes as he ran my license plate. I said to the Mrs "He now knows more about me than I do".

Punching a few buttons he knew my name, address, phone number, who I worked for, my wife's name, who she worked for, etc.
Photobucket
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

The internet is full  of lots and lots of information...

and if someone is very persistent....

They will find just about anything about each of us.

Basic information is not sacred..

and that includes your address... street and city... postal code.... and then telephone number.

when eBay got hacked  it was the  basic information that disappeared....  although associated with a password....  that password was encrypted.... 

Change the password and  that information is protected... until someone buys from you....

the basic information is available to each buyer.... but without the password....

email address too....

and when these emails pass through the internet... they are not encrypted....

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

You would be surprised  at what is sitting on your computer and watching what you do.

So much arrives... that antivirus programs do not touch....

A major piece of Malware got onto my computer... It took me three hours to find a way to get rid of it....  had to use my second computer to find out what to do..

and then I used Spyhunter several times to clean up my computer.....

Clean it up and everything is back....

If a computer is wide open to emails....  most anything will get onto a computer..... 

Antivirus programs work... but there will always be something that could just get through... happened to me seven years ago.  a major clean up from an internet technician  took two sessions of three hours each....

If anybody wants to track you... they will find all kinds of information ... and many times you will have to pay to get that information....  not a big fee

A telephone number is there for the finding..... Saying it does not belong on a customs form is the least of one's worries....

The only time the telephone number  would be blocked is if  you specific to the telephone company it is not to be available  on request...

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

1984 --- George Orwell...

Big Brother is watching... either already here ... or ... soon to be here!

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

There is a new form available on the net, that CP asks us to fill out when we ship to international. Once it is filled out you are assigned a square code or bar code. You print out the form and take it to the post office. They then just scan the print out and you no longer fill out the old form. It is to speed up the process. With out it you have to give all the info to the sales staff and they enter the data while you wait. A long process.

I will try the 555 555 5555number and see if that works.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply