Now I see many listings show "Free international shipping" from the US. However, it actually isn't.

Something new I take it?  Now when I do searches on EBAY, many items from the US show "Free International Shipping"... however as soon as I click on the item from the search results, none of them have "Free International Shipping". I'm in Canada, which for those who don't know, is right next to the US (i'm like 10 mi from the border).

What is up with the "free shipping" which isn't?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

To begin with there is no such thing as 'free' shipping....

To begin with there is no such thing as 'free' shipping. It really means the cost of shipping has been included in the asking price of the item. But you probably realized that.

I notice the three examples are all being shipped under the Global Shipping Program.

I think what you are interpreting as a 'shipping' price is actually the import fees applicable under this program.

You know that you have to pay applicable Canadian duty and sales taxes on any imports valued over $20CDN (about $18 USD at the moment)?

The GSP charges these upfront.

And NAFTA only comes into play if the items are manufactured in a NAFTA signatory (Canada, USA, Mexica and Chile) not if they are purchased there.

In addition to the duty and tax there is a small ($5ish) service fee for wrangling the item through customs.

So the actual cost of moving the item from the seller to you is included in the price, and the fee you see when you indicate that you want to buy are those import fees, which are based on your country. (Change your location to Sweden or Turkey and the fees will change too.)

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

To begin with there is no such thing as 'free' shipping....

Sorry you lost me. When i check search results and multiple item listings say "FREE International Shipping", what I am I not getting? Free = no cost to buyer, "international Shipping" = Shipping outside the country in which it is located. I am not referring to duty/taxes, so referring to NAFTA is completely irrelevant.

You say "there is no such thing is free shipping" Lets not play with words... we all know its build into the cost of item so please don't be so condescending in your response.

My question is simple.. why do the items say "FREE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" when there is a SUBSTANTIAL cost of shipping when you check of those items and select "buy now".
Message 3 of 3
latest reply