Odd Transaction

Yesterday someone bought an item via BO and paid.  The address was incorrect so I refunded and asked her to change her address.

Then I relisted the item via BO and instructed her to offer me the amount we'd agreed to and that I would accept.

A few minutes ago I saw the offer came in.

Before I could accept she'd paid.  I don't have automatic limits set up.

I'm completely confused how someone could make an offer and pay before I'd accepted the offer.

One of the oddest transactions I've ever encountered.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Odd Transaction

The item is still for sale and is showing BO pending.

I assumed that when she bought the purse and I refunded that it was no longer for sale, but it looks like she could still go in and pay for that item so it hadn't really ended.

Is that a glitch or is that normal?  Does that make sense?

I guess now I just have to end the new item and things should be fine, but I sure didn't think that could happen.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

@sylviebee wrote:

The item is still for sale and is showing BO pending.

I assumed that when she bought the purse and I refunded that it was no longer for sale, but it looks like she could still go in and pay for that item so it hadn't really ended.

Is that a glitch or is that normal?  Does that make sense?

I guess now I just have to end the new item and things should be fine, but I sure didn't think that could happen.

It think it likely depends on how much time there was between the refund, your ending the listing, and the new offer.  Like many other things, it may take eBay a few hours (or longer?) to actually process the results of the refund and show the proper status of the transaction.  In other words, if eBay's system hadn't caught up to the steps taken, the buyer may actually have been paying on the original listing.  Check and see what is now shown as her address.  You may still be OK. 

If you find that this has really thrown a monkey wrench into the works, you might want to tell your buyer that you'll wait 24 hours to make sure the chain of events is properly reflected in the eBay transaction records, both for you and for the buyer. 

Actually, I seem to recall it's possible for a buyer to revise their address -- at least on Paypal -- even after a purchase.  I'm sure I have had a buyer do that to correct an error, i.e. without having to reverse or refund the transaction.  This isn't much good to you now, but I'd try that first if a situation like this ever occurs again. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

Yes, she offered on the new listing and was able to re-pay on the original listing.

The transaction was cancelled yesterday at 10 AM, about 27 hours ago.   I wonder if I'll have to pay FVFs.

I'll just end the new listing and work with the old one.  

I didn't know a PP and eBay address could be changed after a purchase.  Is that new?

This is the first time I've done it this way when the address was wrong but I'll never do this again.

Next time I'll just manually change the address the way I've always done in the past.  (Too much waiting and messing around for me.)

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

@sylviebee wrote:

Yes, she offered on the new listing and was able to re-pay on the original listing.

The transaction was cancelled yesterday at 10 AM, about 27 hours ago.   I wonder if I'll have to pay FVFs.

I'll just end the new listing and work with the old one.  

I didn't know a PP and eBay address could be changed after a purchase.  Is that new?

This is the first time I've done it this way when the address was wrong but I'll never do this again.

Next time I'll just manually change the address the way I've always done in the past.  (Too much waiting and messing around for me.)

The PayPal address can be changed anytime BEFORE payment, once you refunded it's like there was no payment so when the buyer paid again they were able to change the address.

In theory if a buyer send you a revised address through eBay Messages that's good enough to be considered the same as if they used that address at the time of payment. I have no idea if that's actually true because a) I don't care if people change the address AFTER payment (by a separate message) and b) I so rarely get INR claims being able to prove I shipped to the PayPal address simply never comes up.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

In today's eBay a buyer identifies the Primary Shipping Address before they buy.

The Paypal address  is linked to this address, and cannot be changed/edited.

This works perfectly between eBay and Paypal.

------------------------------------------------------------

I once had a buyer that wanted me to ship to an address other than the one presented with the Paypal payment.

Buyer's payment was refunded....and a Paypal invoice with the "new mail to address" was indicated on a new invoice.

Buyer was uptight with the refund and new invoice.....Buyer "appeared" not to understand  why  changing the shipping address on Paypal was necessary.

BUT...... I did get the impression that the buyer  wanted to play a game with me... but agreed to everything.

It is critical  for a seller to ship to the Paypal address.... no matter what.....  and only with the use of this Paypal address is a seller protected from an Item Not Received claim...

-------------------------------------------------

The link between eBay and Paypal  with respect to the Primary Shipping Address.... prevents someone from changing the address on Paypal to a country  that a seller does not ship to....

---------------------------------------------------

With a most recent transaction  where several addresses ....  

the email from eBay... Sales record on eBay... and then the Paypal address were  all different .......

were indicated before a payment was made...the addresses could still be adjusted to a Primary Shipping  Address.on eBay.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

@sylviebee wrote:

It's been a while since I've had to have a buyer change their address on Paypal so my recall was a bit fuzzy, but 'recped' and 'cumos' are correct -- it has to be done by the buyer on Paypal, and it can't be done if payment has been made (unless there has been a refund).  

So if you change the Paypal address when doing the label, I wouldn't think this is enough to protect you unless -- possibly --  you have a message through eBay from the buyer stating their exact, corrected address.  

In any case, it's wiser to ask the buyer to change it themselves.  You can then check to make sure it's been done before shipping.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

@cumos55 wrote:

In today's eBay a buyer identifies the Primary Shipping Address before they buy.

The Paypal address  is linked to this address, and cannot be changed/edited.

This works perfectly between eBay and Paypal.

------------------------------------------------------------

I once had a buyer that wanted me to ship to an address other than the one presented with the Paypal payment.

Buyer's payment was refunded....and a Paypal invoice with the "new mail to address" was indicated on a new invoice.

Buyer was uptight with the refund and new invoice.....Buyer "appeared" not to understand  why  changing the shipping address on Paypal was necessary.

BUT...... I did get the impression that the buyer  wanted to play a game with me... but agreed to everything.

It is critical  for a seller to ship to the Paypal address.... no matter what.....  and only with the use of this Paypal address is a seller protected from an Item Not Received claim...

-------------------------------------------------

The link between eBay and Paypal  with respect to the Primary Shipping Address.... prevents someone from changing the address on Paypal to a country  that a seller does not ship to....

---------------------------------------------------

With a most recent transaction  where several addresses ....  

the email from eBay... Sales record on eBay... and then the Paypal address were  all different .......

were indicated before a payment was made...the addresses could still be adjusted to a Primary Shipping  Address.on eBay.

No it's not! I have shipped to alternate addresses (not the address included with the payment) many many times, much of the time I'm shipping without tracking anyway so what does it matter.

Seller Protection on an INR claim.....in 17 years here selling I have not ever once made use of this "protection" so I make little if any effort to ensure that I qualify.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

Once again I'm with rec. I never have problems changing the address, it is rare that it happens anymore though and I do not remember ever having an INR from a changing the address situation!

(And I did have one whopper where the buyer was from Brazil but was travelling to Canada and wanted it shipped to the location here. What he didn't tell me until after he purchased and paid was that he was only in a given place for a couple days each time! He kept revising the address until I helped him pick a place further in the future (he was doing a cross Canada tour of his relatives) so we could be sure it got there in time. Amazingly it did get there in time and all worked out well......)
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

Wow, you're right, that was a whopper, chasing your buyer all over the country.  Usually it's just one alternate address (like a winter vacation home or a relative's house).  I can't say I've ever heard a story quite like that before! 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Odd Transaction

It was driving me a bit bonkers until I noticed the addresses were working their way across the country. That's when I got it out of him that he was making multiple stops (I thought before that he just didn't know where his relatives actually lived here). To be honest I was very very surprised it worked out.....
Message 11 of 11
latest reply