Open Case after 80 days

Can someone tell me how days buyers have to open a case for a not received item ?

Ship from Canada to USA on July 17 and buyer open a case yesterday !!!

Tahnks

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Open Case after 80 days

Depending on what service you used to ship, the clock doesn't start -- as you mentioned -- until the last date on which eBay estimates the parcel should have arrived.  

What postal service did you use?  If you used a surface (ground) service, the delivery estimates on those are in weeks, not days.  If you used an air service and you believe eBay is wrong in allowing the case to be opened, you can attempt to contact eBay customer service about it.  Keep in mind though that if eBay disagrees with you, you will lose the case, unless of course you have tracking.  If eBay closes the case in the buyer's favour, you'll have not only a defect but the case will also count against your allowable percentage of unresolved cases. 

Your best option to ensure that you avoid such trouble is to refund immediately and -- as others have mentioned -- ask the buyer to pay back the refund via Paypal if the item does eventually arrive.  Many do. 

And I would suggest that if you did use surface delivery, you consider this a learning experience you don't want to repeat.  Surface delivery just doesn't work on eBay anymore unless you have the volume to absorb defects and cases from late deliveries.  

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@rockp5233 wrote:

Can someone tell me how days buyers have to open a case for a not received item ?

Ship from Canada to USA on July 17 and buyer open a case yesterday !!!

Tahnks

Well, you didn't mention if they opened a case with Ebay or PayPal...I would suspect it is PayPal under whose rules buyers have 180 days to open a clai9m if they have a problem with a purchase.

Cheers,

thD

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hello 'rockp5233',

From the PayPal User Agreement page I found this under Disputes:

"If you wish to open a Dispute through PayPal’s Resolution Centre you must do so within 180 days of making your payment."

and again under 13.5 How do I resolve my problem:

"b.  Open a Dispute within 180 days of the date on which you made the payment for the purchase you would like to dispute."

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_GB#13

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Did the buyer contact you first?

Did you use tracking?

If you did use Confirmation of Delivery (or tracking) and can prove that the item has in fact been delivered (or refused), then put the number into the Dispute.

If you did not, you may as well refund, because you will lose the Dispute and refusing to refund will earn you defects which voluntary refunds won't.

When you do this, add a note to the buyer that WHEN the item arrives, she can refund the refund through Paypal's Send Money service. Works more often than you would think when the item really hasn't arrived.

For items that are too cheap to bother tracking like those screen protectors, you can add a few pennies to every asking price or shipping fee to cover the cost of an occasional loss. This gets called Cookie Jar Insurance, because you put those virtual pennies into a virtual cookie jar. When you get a claim, you take the cost out of the cookie jar and refund with a pleasant smile.

BTW, if you are dropshipping, your supplier may have run out of stock and simply not shipped, without notifying either you or your buyer. This is a drawback of dropshipping.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hi dmil,

It is under eBay !... not understanding why a buyer can open a ''Not Received Item'' more the 30 day after delivery ETA ?!?!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

But ebay timelines stated buyer have up to 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date !!!....

So why can he open a dispute more than 60 days after this date ??? 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Depending on what service you used to ship, the clock doesn't start -- as you mentioned -- until the last date on which eBay estimates the parcel should have arrived.  

What postal service did you use?  If you used a surface (ground) service, the delivery estimates on those are in weeks, not days.  If you used an air service and you believe eBay is wrong in allowing the case to be opened, you can attempt to contact eBay customer service about it.  Keep in mind though that if eBay disagrees with you, you will lose the case, unless of course you have tracking.  If eBay closes the case in the buyer's favour, you'll have not only a defect but the case will also count against your allowable percentage of unresolved cases. 

Your best option to ensure that you avoid such trouble is to refund immediately and -- as others have mentioned -- ask the buyer to pay back the refund via Paypal if the item does eventually arrive.  Many do. 

And I would suggest that if you did use surface delivery, you consider this a learning experience you don't want to repeat.  Surface delivery just doesn't work on eBay anymore unless you have the volume to absorb defects and cases from late deliveries.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

eBay does allow a buyer to open a case after that but generally they won't 'step in' or allow the buyer to escalate it and you don't get a defect for it.  But if you don't come to an agreement with the buyer, Paypal will allow them to open a case.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Just FYI... I call ebay this afternoon and we seems to had a ''glitch'' with this...

As I suspected, the buyer should not have the possibility to open a case because of the 30 days clause in the ebay timeline, so the ebay agent just close the case in my favor and she confirm this will not have any effect on my performance rating.

time to time it is good to see that things are as they are written... 😉

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

That's excellent news!  I had a feeling that might be the case if you contacted eBay (assuming you weren't using a surface shipping method).  

It is good to know that occasionally eBay's decisions make sense.  Thanks for reporting on the outcome of this.  It gives me some comfort to know we sellers won't always be left in the lurch for no fault of our own.  Maybe -- fingers crossed! -- this is reflective of eBay's new "small seller-friendly" approach.  It's about time the pendulum swung away from a total punishment mode.  Woman Happy

Message 10 of 10
latest reply