Opinions/suggestions wanted, revamping my std text....

I've finally decided the time has come to revamp the standard text in my listings. Some of the "need" for why it is worded the way it is now harkens back to the early days, for example when shipping costs weren't shown like it is today...and it clearly isn't necessary any more. Anyway below is a copy of the old text and the much shortened new draft text. I welcome any thoughts/suggestions anyone has regarding the new shortened version. I will consider them all!

If you want to see what a current listing if mine looks like, stick to items that end in 92c or 91c (the last digit represents the "generation" of the listing - I reuse the listings all the time (turbolister) and use the last number to identify which is the newest wording version....). .92c listings are all ebay hosted pictures, 91c listings are self hosted.

==========================================================

old standard text version

====================================================

Don't forget to check out my other lots!

I am a member of the APS, CSDA, RPSC, and BNAPS

Shipping and Insurance:

Our shipping charges includes all of these things:

• We use new packaging and normally new sturdy boxes when boxes are needed 
  • All items are wrapped in plastic bags etc to guard against moisture in transit
  • We try to use interesting stamps on your packages, including modern souvenir sheets; we are stamp collectors after all!
  • Packaging is done carefully to maximize the likelihood it arrives safely!
  • You will receive a full refund if your shipment is lost in transit
  • Check our feedback for comments from other collectors!

Handling Time:

• Normal mailing days are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays so items are usually mailed within 1 or 2 business days of payment.

Shipping costs:

• USA: FREE airmail
  • CANADA: $0.50 (ON/NB/NF add 8% NS add 10% PEI add 9%
  • INTERNATIONAL$2.00 airmail  
  • If you want your lot(s) registered, please enquire but be advised that this is not always possible and it can be very expensive!!

Don't forget to check the interesting and unusual items in my eBay store!!

====================================================

New shortened standard text version

=====================================================

Don't forget to check out my other lots!

Shipping and Handling:

• All items are secured in plastic to protect against moisture in transit
  • We try to use interesting stamps on your packages, including souvenir sheets, we are stamp collectors after all!
  • You will receive a full refund if your shipment is lost in transit
  • Items are normally mailed Mon/Wed/Fri (within 1 or 2 business days of payment)
  • If you require your lot(s) to be registered/tracked, please ask, but note that this is not always possible, and it can be very expensive!!

Don't forget to check the interesting and unusual items in my eBay store!!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Much better!

As you know I have always believed in KISS (you can check my listings to see what I mean).

Much of the remaining sentences could be removed from the listing description and moved to the "Seller's payment instructions" seen under the Shipping and Payment tab in order to use most of the description portion of the listings to describe the products, the guarantee and your service.

Keep in mind that "registration" is no longer available from Canada Post for mailing to USA, effective January 13th, 2014 (yes I also have to change my payment instructions).

If you feel it is necessary to talk about losses (I do not as I try to keep everything positive and avoid any possible negativity in my listings) I suggest you replace "You will receive a full refund if your shipment is lost in transit"  by "All shipments are privately insured for your protection."

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

THX for the suggestions Pierre!

OMG as my daughter would say in "textland"!!!

It is rather embarrassing that I never even noticed the "sellers payment instructions", must have missed that whenever that happened however many years ago...!

So I've adjusted things already, here is the latest version:

Text in the item description:

=====================

Don't forget to check the other interesting and unusual items in my eBay store!!

Text in the "sellers payment instructions":

===============================

Items are normally mailed Mon/Wed/Fri (within 1 or 2 business days of payment). We try to use interesting stamps on your packages, including souvenir sheets, we are stamp collectors after all!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

All of that bright red and orange is too powerful...   so much so that it is very difficult to read the plain black print...

Almost too distracting....

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It doesn't look quite that big in the listing although I would probably shrink it a bit. I would also use that statement as a link so that a customer can just click on it to see our other items.   Something like this....

Please click here to see the interesting and unusual items in my eBay store!!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

ebay "best practises" advise against coloured text. Not all eyes can see it easily. Looks cute, but.

Normally I would discourage wordy, but, philatelists are a different breed. Tending to minute detail. I actually like what you have written. Would not work with car parts, but, does with stamps.

All time favourite stamp joke was on the back page of a Mad Magazine 40 years ago. Guy wants two stamps from  a machine. Giant foot comes out and "stamps" him down twice. Caption reads "32¢ please". I'm still laughing.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

pjcnd... THX for your suggestion, a question, I was under the impression that some day they were going to block all links within the text including to our ebay stuff, I took my store links out so that I didn't have to deal with that down the road...some of my listings are years old....
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thankyou to all who provided some ideas and suggestions!

Despite how long I've been eBaying, I have to say it is amazing how much my "good draft" was changed as a result of all the very good suggestions folks made!

I've been feverishly listing new items, if you look at anything recently listed that ends in .99c you'll see the fruits of your suggestions.

Thank you again, this is an excellent example of how much value these boards can be to any of us, "new" or "old"!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply