Our Canadian OUTRAGEOUS shipping rates: HELP!

art2love1
Community Member

Hi, all:  (This refers to rates by Canada Post):  I sold several items and charged the minimum shipping rate - no tracking or insurance, and guess what?? One was delivered a month late, the other was probably lost. I have hundreds of items valued below 100 dollars and are light in weight: prints, ties, scarves, eyewear.  I see sellers selling antique prints with domestic shipping anywhere from 3 to 10 dollars, and international at some 13, but if I am to avoid any numerous claims for unreceived merchandize, I need to charge the full tracked and insured rate, which again, doubles, quardruples or triples the price.  I am having a very hard time. I need advice.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Our Canadian OUTRAGEOUS shipping rates: HELP!

So you always take them to the postal outlet to be shipped?

I just wondered if there was a way to attach everything I need and pop it in the mailbox, especially this summer when we will be spending most of our time at the lake.  The people at the Post Office in a nearby town are very nice but we have had a few problems educating them because they don't seem to get that many light & small packet packages and can't differentiate between the two without a little help.  I don't know what they would do if I handed them packages with pre-affixed postage!...lol.

I do like to ship certain packages from the outlet or PO anyway, especially if they are a higher value.

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

They've always promoted light packet as "exclusive to paypal and CP outlets".  I always have wondered if it would eventually be a problem, that is the first Ive heard of anyone having one.  Id stop shipping intl before Id ever go back to going to outlets.  Its not an accident the "OS" sticker isnt on the list in the online store and the outlets say they cant give them out like they can with customs forms and airmail stickers.  

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

"So you always take them to the postal outlet to be shipped?"

Yes.  That is the only way I can cancel the stamps properly and get receipts for parcels. Also, by handing the mail directly to the postal clerk, it saves some handling, reducing the risks of damage along the way.

Message 43 of 57
latest reply

Thanks for the information Pierre.

We presently ship from the postal outlet in town or the Post Office at the lake so it won't be a big deal to continue.  As you mentioned, it does reduce the risks of damage by less handling.  The PO employee who picks up the mail at 5:00 p.m. at the outlet in town even waits for our mail if the clerk hasn't finished processing it.  We can't ask for better service here.

Toby,

Because of previous experience with a postal outlet at the local 7/11 (when I first began selling here) I would not deal with most postal outlet unless I had no choice.  However, the one we use is in a family owned business, stationery & office supply store that has been around since before I was born.  They hire staff specifically to work in the postal outlet and these people are just as well trained, and generally much more helpful & friendly, as the Post Office employees.  They are now the only outlet in town other than the PO and are very busy.

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

For art, check your "My eBay" account and click account for drop menu to PayPal and that is your link to PayPal which is the most safest way to get there.  Never go to search engine for PayPal.  Always use the link through your eBay account to PayPal for shipping, for your account, etc.  Always watch for "https" with a "s" when dealing with payment, banking, PayPal, etc.   If you don't see a "s" in https, shut down your computer and reboot and re do.  Never deal with $$$ without "s" in https.  I learned from a teacher at eBay classes in 2008.

In fact, that teacher works for a city, he and his wife save all their salaries from their jobs into their bank for their retirements and use their $$$ from selling on eBay and they are millionaires!!!  Wish we could do the same!!

Message 45 of 57
latest reply

People who save for retirement are seldom fun people. I have spent my money living. I have traveled, more in one year, than the neighbours on this side will travel their whole lives. Lady on the other side? I have traveled more than she will ever dare to.  My possessions are less but my experiences are far greater.

As my coffee mug says "I spent most of my money on beer and women, the rest I wasted". Darned if I haven't lived up to that.

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

People who save for retirement are seldom fun people.

I'm not sure what your comment has to do with the topic but I disagree with your generalization.

Some people can enjoy their lives, travel, do what they enjoy AND save for

retirement. 

Also, everyone has different ideas of what they want out of life..not everyone lives to travel.

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

I think the point is that Ebay dropped the ball when  

negotiating Canadian postal rates with Canada Post. Most items I sell are under $100.00, untill January a 250 gram package to Australia was about $10.00 with upto $100.00 insurance  The new rate is about $35.00. I used to sell a lot to Europe and Australia but nothing since the new postal rates came in. I won't

ship without insurance.

Bottom line is Ebay Let us down buyers and sellers both

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

"Ebay dropped the ball when negotiating Canadian postal rates with Canada Post:"

???

eBay has very little leverage with Canada Post.  The total number of parcels shipped by eBay sellers through Canada Post represents less than one percent of all parcels handled by Canada Post.

There was no negotiation.  eBay managed to obtain a group discount on some postal services sold through PayPal and that's it.

To get real deals from Canada Post, you need larger volume, pre-sorted by postal code, something that can never happen on eBay because the parcels are shipped by individual sellers all over the country.

The situation is similar in the USA.

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

Canada Post services an area the same size as the USA with one tenth the population. The Cdn population is about equal to California. What would our rates be like if the size of our country was proportionate?

I would be willing to wager that the STATE of CA outsells our whole country.

I am simply glad I get a discount. I am not seeing exactly why. I drop parcels off and buy some postage for others. My time there ends up the same. I am not saving anyone any labour or costs. Parcels go to the same places, handled the same, same everything. I just get to pay a lot less.

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

bytownjeff
Community Member

Hi folks,

I am brand new to selling on Ebay. So new in fact that I have yet to list anything. 🙂

I plan to sell some coins initially. .The more I read on the Ebay site, the farther I get from starting

The first concern I have is shipping costs.  It seems that most others are listing shipping via regular Lettermail. This worries me in that there is nothing to stop a buyer from claiming they never received the item.  Likewise, nothing prevents pilfering by someone along the line or a legitimate loss. On the other hand, as the original poster says, insisting on any form of tracking makes the sell price far less attractive to prospective buyers.

I expect the first 12 coins to fetch $30 to $50 each. What if they don't show up or the buyer claims it didn't?  I could do without a bad rating on my first few sales. Any thoughts on what I should do?

thanks,

Jeff

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

jensbest
Community Member

Most of my packages sent to Australia were lost. I now have a choice to ship the smallest package, under 500 grams for 24.92 airmail or 52.00 tracked package. RIDICULOUS! I wouldn't pay it, would you?

We are paying high prices for the service. Everyone complained about high Canada Postal prices before and now they are double +++.

This will kill Canadian small businesses, no one is going to take a chance on expensive items being lost. If you have cheaper items, you can afford the loss. 

It is different for businesses that sell quantity of a product than for businesses selling one of a kind items that are of value and can't be replaced.

I think eBay brought lots of business for Canada Post and now they want more of the pie!

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

"...there is nothing to stop a buyer from claiming they never received the item."

That is the reality of "mail order business".  It does not matter if you use eBay or other venues or websites or magazines to advertise your coins, that problem has been there and will stay there: there is nothing preventing a buyer from claiming the goods have not been received and requesting his money back (including shipping charge). 

Those of us who have been selling by mail for a long time and using lettermail (no insurance, no tracking) have all experienced some losses by buyers claiming non receipt. We have no way of knowing if the claims are legitimate or not.  Those losses are considered "a cost of doing business."

"What if they don't show up or the buyer claims it didn't? "

Refund the buyer promptly and ask that a payment be sent again once the coins show up. Never ever question the honesty of the buyer. There is nothing to gain.

However, before you start selling on eBay, I strongly suggest you purchase several items from different sellers, including many from outside Canada.  It will give you some experience on how eBay and PayPal work from a buyer's perspective and build your feedback in the meantime.

Many potential buyers are reluctant to buy from sellers with zero or low feedback. Those sellers are often the target of scammers.

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

bytownjeff
Community Member

Thanks, Pierre

There is at least one seller of the identical items I want to sell who insists on using a tracking method. He seems to have thousands of sales and a perfect feedback rating . Granted, he has a store and I am not in the "business" of selling.

Perhaps I will look at selling some of the least valuable items first.  That way, if I do take a loss, it will be minimal.  And it will allow me to establish myself.

I appreciate your thoughts on this

Jeff

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

As a Cdn. Seller, we have a few options open to us.  While it may be time-consuming, I take that time to send international Buyers an email asking them if they want it with tracking or without and if it's without, they have to agree that if not received we're not responsible.  I've had many Buyers choose the no tracking option and to date... surprise!  ALL have received their items.

Secondly, I had to ship an item to Mexico recently.  The CHEAPEST shipping rate I could get on PayPal from Canada Post was over $100.  Ridiculous, right?  

Instead, I took the item to the post office and shipped it from there.  $35.50 surface, WITH tracking.  My Buyer was extremely happy with the refund.  I expect great feedback and a return Buyer.  😄

The problem is, Canada Post REFUSES to offer Sellers on Ebay, the option of having items shipped surface, with tracking.  I'll let you guess the reason.  For international Buyers, I'll take it to the Post office, EVERY time, rather than let them gouge me and my Buyers like that.  😛  

I've had my letters to the Editor published in the newspapers about the Canada Post gouging and have notified my MP in writing.  Recently, I asked a few places to investigate it, because it continues.  Please notify your MP and give him examples.    It all helps in the effort to get them in line.  

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

It seems that most others are listing shipping via regular Lettermail. This worries me in that there is nothing to stop a buyer from claiming they never received the item.  Likewise, nothing prevents pilfering by someone along the line or a legitimate loss.
Jeff- The point is that most people are honest. As a newbie you should do a few things to make your first transactions go smoothly.
Do some buying. Not only will this give you an overview of how the buying experience goes, but it will provide you with feedback to make you look more trustworthy.
Don't sell $30-$40 items first. Stick with more common stuff or lower grade material that you can afford to lose. (Notwithstanding what I said above about most people being honest.) Don't sell those somewhat better items until you have DSRs that your customers can see.
Bytown?- Go to the RA Centre tomorrow and visit the Stamp and Coin Show. You may find buyers among the dealers there without the hassle of selling on eBay. The Stamp and Coin Show is there on the second Sunday of every month.
One of the posters said he gets a claim once in every 200 sales. While the number of claims will vary depending on the category, that seems high to me.

I take that time to send international Buyers an email asking them if they want it with tracking or without and if it's without, they have to agree that if not received we're not responsible.
You should be aware that if the buyer makes a claim and you cannot provide proof of delivery, Paypal will refund your customer and you will have a black mark on your selling record.

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

I take that time to send international Buyers an email asking them if they want it with tracking or without and if it's without, they have to agree that if not received we're not responsible.  I've had many Buyers choose the no tracking option and to date... surprise!  ALL have received their items.

As sellers, we (not the buyers) are responsible for ensuring delivery.  Given an option, you can expect that most buyers will choose the least expensive rate every time -- and why wouldn't they?  They aren't worried about your status if Paypal decides an INR case against you (which they will if you can't prove delivery).  This is the problem in leaving the choice up to the buyer: sellers' responsibility, but buyers' decision.

For items of low value, where you can easily refund without much pain, it's a reasonable approach, but for pricier items, maybe not.  It's true that most parcels do arrive, and actual non-delivery is rare, but without tracking you'll need to know that you'll be comfortable immediately refunding even a more costly item if a buyer files for INR.  U.S. buyers in particular can get quite anxious about delivery after about 8 days -- they're so used to fast domestic shipping service.

Shipping by ground with tracking may work as long as the item doesn't take more than a month to arrive.  You could end up with a buyer who gets nervous after day 40, knowing that the 45-day time limit for making a claim is getting close, and will file an INR case anyway.  Even with tracking, if the item takes 50 days, you'll lose the case in the meantime, and then you have to hope the buyer is honest enough to return your refund when the parcel does arrive.

I expect the reason ground services aren't offered through eBay/Paypal is that the number of INR cases they would have to deal with would skyrocket.

Personally I do not use ground services at all for this reason, and because there's more potential for damage -- the longer and the more a parcel is handled, the bigger the risk.  In the example you mention, I would have purchased the tracked air parcel shipping, but given the buyer perhaps a 20% break on the shipping cost - you protect yourself, your buyer gets a refund and he gets his item quickly, both parties win.

Yes, our shipping rates are higher than the US but it's not gouging.  We have to consider the service we get for the price and the distances involved.  In several years of selling, I've yet to have a single air parcel (for the cost of about $5 to $10 to the U.S.) go astray, and most arrive in under 7 days.  Expedited and Xpresspost are costly, but they are fast, insured, and completely reliable.  Once the online discounts are applied to Tracked Packet, I'll be using that frequently too, for anything over $75 in value.  I've never yet had a customer complain to me about shipping costs when the item arrives in good shape on their doorstep within days of payment.

The subject of shipping is a balancing act that has to take into account the item value, the size/weight, seller responsibility, destination country (not all countries are worth shipping to!), and the seller's comfort level with, and capacity for, risk.

Message 57 of 57
latest reply