Overcharging shipping

I bought a lot of video games on eBay, and each time the shipping cost was similar among many sellers ($2.95 lettermail per game). Recently, I bought a game with a shipping cost of $9, so I thought the seller must had used a more expensive shipping service with tracking.

When I received the game, the shipping label on the envelope said $2.95, so the seller charged 3x more than the actual cost. I also took into consideration that the packing material costed money, but the game was just shipping in a regular envelope, not even a bubble mailer.

I emailed the seller before leaving any feedback, but the seller still stood their ground and insist that the shipping really costed $9.

I'm just wondering what I can do in this situation?

(by the way, the game itself only costed $5)

Thank you!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Overcharging shipping

Having bought and sold a fair number of video games within Canada over the years, I cannot figure out how the seller would have to pay $9 for shipping. The only option that I can think of that costs $9 is registered mail, but that cost is ON TOP of the regular postal cost, and for a video game it's just not worth it (unless it's some super rare, sealed, collectible, which I'm guessing is not the case for that price).

My guess is that the seller is adding some of the money that they want to make, and maybe other costs and fees, into the shipping cost to make the "price" of the game seem lower. Of course we know that isn't true, as selling the game for $5 with $9 shipping would be the same as selling the game for $11 with $3 shipping, or $14 with free shipping.

As for what you can do, I'm not too sure, sorry. I haven't run into this scenario before. Another user on the boards may be able to give you a proper answer.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

Can you email the seller a photo of the $2.95 postage on the envelope to prove your point?

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

First ask yourself if the $14 (CDN? USD?) that you paid for the game was a reasonable amount.

If it was then how the seller broke down the money received is really unimportant.

Annoying but unimportant.

if the seller has been around for a long time, she may still be thinking that she only pays selling fees to eBay on the selling price ($5) of the item and not on the shipping price ($9).

This has not been true for a few years now. Sellers pay about 10% fees on both parts of the payment. In fact it was sellers who used this form of fee avoidance that were one reason eBay extended the fees.

Even a newbie seller might do this if she was following instructions from some out of date 'how to sell on eBay' book or article.

This works the opposite way with Free Shipping.

The cost of postage is actually factored into the cost of the item.

So another seller who wanted $11 for his item, might price it at $14 +Free Shipping.

And his buyers would be delighted by the 'freebie'.

The cost of postage is not related to the value of the item. It is based on dimensions, weight, and service used.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

marnotom!
Community Member

As has been brought up on another thread on shipping charges, the problem seems to be that there are different types of "First Class International" services that have different pricing.

Sounds to me as though your seller calculated the shipping price for a First Class International package, but the post office let him send the item as a First Class International letter.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

Good point, marnotom.

The cheaper First Class Letter option requires scrolling right on the list of prices, which is not immediately apparent.

A polite note to the seller, perhaps as suggested with an attached photo, would seem reasonable. Perhaps mentioning that refunds are easily sent through Paypal's Send Money service.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

I'm sorry, I'm a little bit confused.

I was under the assumption that the OP, being in Canada, was referencing purchasing a video game from a seller in Canada (hence the $2.95 charge for Lettermail).

I don't understand how the "First Class" options (USPS) factor in as a possibility here. (Maybe I misinterpreted something along the way here.)

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

@marnotom! wrote:

As has been brought up on another thread on shipping charges, the problem seems to be that there are different types of "First Class International" services that have different pricing.

Sounds to me as though your seller calculated the shipping price for a First Class International package, but the post office let him send the item as a First Class International letter.

OP said in their post 2.95 Lettermail a few times and that rate is for a 200 gram Lettermail shipment within Canada. Nothing to do with USPS First class mail.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

Another good point.

In that case the 2 cm rule could be the problem.

Over 2 cm a 'letter' becomes a 'parcel' and has to move by a much more expensive service.

Putting a DVD or CD into a bubble envelope will move it over the 2 cm mark. Shipping it in an ordinary envelope probably would not.

How thick is a videogame in its normal package?

If the seller normally uses bubble envelopes and had switched to kraft or poly envelopes, the thickness and therefore the shipping cost would drop greatly.

Would $9 be a Regional Parcel?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

I have sent many video games and DVDs in bubble envelopes and they have all been under the 2cm mark, although sometimes just barely.

From my understanding, the next step up if it can't go Lettermail is Regular Parcel, and the Canada Post website tells me that if I were to ship Regular Parcel within Alberta, it would cost $9.61. I'm guessing the prices would be similar within each respective province.

Perhaps, then, the OP's seller charged for a Regular Parcel rate, but only shipped Lettermail.

awesome-tuna, are you able to go back into the original listing (in your Purchase History) and see what the shipping option was listed as? Was it listed as Regular Parcel or Lettermail?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

Thanks for the input everyone. I just messaged the seller again with a picture of the envelope as evidence and the seller gave me a refund of the difference.

Also, the game + the envelope was under the 2cm mark.

@thestuffofchris, the seller listed the shipping as economy.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

@pocomocomputing wrote:

OP said in their post 2.95 Lettermail a few times and that rate is for a 200 gram Lettermail shipment within Canada. Nothing to do with USPS First class mail.

Good catch, Poco.

My guess on the $9 charge is that it comes up as the charge for the option of registering the letter when one uses the Canada Post rate calculator.

Of course, "shipping" and "postage" are not the same thing when it comes to charges, and the seller is perfectly within his or her rights to set a shipping charge that (s)he (and eBay) feel is reasonable for the item.  This does seem a bit extreme, though.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

Thanks for the update!

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

@awesome-tuna wrote:

I bought a lot of video games on eBay, and each time the shipping cost was similar among many sellers ($2.95 lettermail per game). Recently, I bought a game with a shipping cost of $9, so I thought the seller must had used a more expensive shipping service with tracking.

When I received the game, the shipping label on the envelope said $2.95, so the seller charged 3x more than the actual cost. I also took into consideration that the packing material costed money, but the game was just shipping in a regular envelope, not even a bubble mailer.

I emailed the seller before leaving any feedback, but the seller still stood their ground and insist that the shipping really costed $9.

I'm just wondering what I can do in this situation?

Thank you!

$9 for shipping a small item from the U.S. is nothing. I've seen U.S. sellers charge upwards of $50 to $75 U.S. to ship a small box weighing no more than 500 grams or so. I've even encountered a seller from the U.K. who thinks shipping such a small box like that costs a whopping 60 pounds. I recently encountered one from the U.S. who wanted $57 U.S. to ship a 4oz bottle of lubricant.

Some sellers have no clue on neither shipping costs nor what things actually weigh. IMO there are actually very few truly good sellers on eBay; sellers that actually respond to messages and respond in a timely manner, are reasonable with shipping charges, provide a tracking number when applicable, and finally ship the item out...A.K.A. completing the transaction.

A lot of eBay sellers are just a huge waste of money and time. I don't buy much on eBay anymore as there are far better and cheaper deals with massive online shops dealing with specific domains of merchandise. A lot of these shops provide free shipping for orders over a certain amount. With one in particular I can receive packages from Europe to Canada in sometimes a mere three days. So if I place an order on a Sunday, it gets shipped on Monday and I can sometimes pick it up on Thursday. Mind you I do have to pay some extra to receive it but the savings and timeliness far outweigh anything else. With these stores you don't have to waste your time questioning or arranging shipping like you would with some eBay seller that just may ignore you or disappear, as they usually ship the order out the very next day. However, sometimes I am stuck with eBay if no-one carries the odd thing I need.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

The shipping was within Canada via Canada Post Lettermail.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

Unfortunately you see all kinds of sellers. You have to make a decision "do i want that item at $14 or not" whether it's $3 plus $11 shipping, or $9 plus $4 shipping or $14 free ship.

Reality is, within Canada often times combining is better if you find the right seller. I've bought a box of magazines/comics from an honest seller and it cost maybe $14 to ship 40. Buying 1 cost $6.

Some sellers will add the $6 to each item for example, which is ridiculous. There is currently a seller who does this, but sells rare items. The actual winning bids are always $1-$2 with the odd $20+ bid. (because of his high ship cost)  But in reality it costs a buyer minimum $9 including shipping from his auctions.

So personally if i buy from him, i understand that is his rules and do not complain after. On the other hand i bought 40-60 items from the previous seller because i knew his shipping was going to be honest and wagered more on the actual bid(s). The honest seller actually sold more and made more money.  Find your great dealer and stick with him.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

@reallynicestamps wrote:
Over 2 cm a 'letter' becomes a 'parcel' and has to move by a much more expensive service.

Putting a DVD or CD into a bubble envelope will move it over the 2 cm mark. Shipping it in an ordinary envelope probably would not.

What doesn't work are the padded envelopes which add too much thickness.

A regular dvd case is 14mm thick, and as long as the bubble envelope does not add more than 6mm to the thickness it can go O/S lettermail.  I've mailed a lot of dvds/cds in Canada over the last decade with no problems using bubble envelopes.

My personal preference are bubble envelopes with a kraft paper layer on the outside, as I find stamps stick better to those than the envelopes that are pure plastic.

-.-

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

I like poly envelopes, but then I have a reasonable supply of the new sticky back stamps. Unfortunately mostly diecuts.

Ah well, stamp dealer problems.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

What doesn't work are the padded envelopes which add too much thickness.

A regular dvd case is 14mm thick, and as long as the bubble envelope does not add more than 6mm to the thickness it can go O/S lettermail.  I've mailed a lot of dvds/cds in Canada over the last decade with no problems using bubble envelopes.

My personal preference are bubble envelopes with a kraft paper layer on the outside, as I find stamps stick better to those than the envelopes that are pure plastic.

-.-

I don't sell cd's or dvd's but I do use stamps for some items and I use the Uline kraft bubble CD mailers. They also have a DVD mailer. One or both might be useful for you.  I also use the poly bubble mailers but items that are a little too thick in those mailers often fit better in the kraft envelopes and stay under 2cm thick.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Overcharging shipping

DVD movies are usually borderline for lettermail weight. We find that they do not need padding anyway so a plain paper envelope sometimes helps and keeps the weight at 100g or under where a padded envelope would make the weight like 106g for example.

Also there is cost. We get the padded envelopes in 3 packs at dollarama and after 13% tax in Manitoba the cost of each one is $0.47 CDN.That adds up rather quickly. The weight of these envelopes varies by batch. Either 14g or 16g.

Music CD's are a hard sel (we do sell them)l. They need padding and usually weigh more than 100g when packed up.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply