Packaging

As a buyer I am receiving unrecyclable packaging in my parcels.

Is there any chance that E-bay could create a policy that would stop this problem?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Packaging

Send them a suggestion about it.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/account/suggestions.html

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I think that it would be impossible for ebay to control what millions of sellers send out in their shipping packages.

Before you purchase an item, you might want to ask a seller if it is possible for them use only recyclables in your package.

As a seller, I would appreciate knowing which packing materials you are receiving that are not recyclable.

I realize that some peanuts are a problem but perhaps there are some materials that I use that are a problem and I haven't realized it.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The three R's are Reduce/ Reuse / Recycle.

In that order.

Can you ask your sellers to use less packaging material and still feel confident your item will arrive safely?

Can you reuse the packaging yourself?

Recycling is the last choice because it is often inefficient and expensive.

As a science fiction fan, I think at some point in the future, our descendents will be mining our garbage dumps (and ocieans)  for material that we threw out, that will then be economic to recycle.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:
As a science fiction fan, I think at some point in the future, our descendents will be mining our garbage dumps (and oceans)  for material that we threw out, that will then be economic to recycle.

What you mean, some point in the future, the future is already here.... Smiley Wink

Mining garbage:

In the 1970's there was a mining company under pressure to get rid of their smelter slag heaps, they resisted the eco cleanup efforts. Then someone pointed out that some of the slag heaps had much higher concentrations of metals than the raw ore the company was currently processing (because some were dumped when the smelter was using older, less effective extraction methods and some when fewer types of metal were being extracted from the ore).

To the Original Poster: if you can't reuse packaging (or don't have friends/neighbours who do) then ask the seller if they could use recyclable packaging before buying.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

dennis- I remember that story.

I'm thinking of all the plastics that have ended up in dumps in the past century. And metal from cans and obsolete and broken machinery and food containers.

I can imagine spaceships returning from Joss Whedon's 'Verse to mine the destroyed Earth for such valuables as used plastic shopping bags and asphalt roadbeds. Because the 'Verse was entirely terraformed from lifeless planets and moons in a multiple star system and therefore has no petroleum.

'Oh god oh god, we're all gonna die."- Hoban Washburne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2UPIFQM_Cg

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your comments. I would say that 90% of the packages I receive contain peanuts and bubble. While I appreciate the sellers' dilemma, You must realise that on opening 5 parcels I had enough junk to half-fill a black garbage bag. By the way my parcels are fairly small. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Well, we could go with 'reuse'.

Peanuts can be used in the bottom of plant pots to make a lightweight drainage layer below the potting soil. It helps to have a layer of landscape cloth above that.

And bubblewrap is a sovereign remedy for tension. Also keeps small children amused for hours.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Peanuts can be used in the bottom of plant pots to make a lightweight drainage layer below the potting soil. It helps to have a layer of landscape cloth above that.

And bubblewrap is a sovereign remedy for tension. Also keeps small children amused for hours.

Not just small kids .... Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I reuse my packing material - especially the bubble wrap and peanuts- As much as I might prefer green- I am not happy when I receive damaged ( stone) goods because the seller used paper as packaging - shippers are not gentle
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Not just small kids .... Smiley Wink

I have to agree with Poco. My husband loves popping those bubbles.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply