Paypal aotomatic Payment AFTER Buying on Ebay

I used to be redirected to Paypal directly AFTER buying on Ebay (Pay Now Button). Now, I am NOT and it seem to be automatycally withdraw from my Paypal account with NO Login and formalities as usual...Is it normal ?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Yes and no.

There is a setting that allows you to go directly to paypal from ebay without logging in each time BUT you still have to 'pay' before it submits payment to your seller. It won't just happen magically without your consent. 

Go directly to your paypal account and check the transactions there.

Is there something you don't remember authorizing? 

Or is it a charge to Pitney Bowes that you are surprised to see?

If it is the latter, you have made a purchase through the Global Shipping Program and the monies paid to Pitney Bowes are your upfront import fees. 

If it is the former, you may be looking at unauthorized activity in your paypal account and you will need to take it up with them. Go to their Resolution Centre to do that. You'll find the link from the questionable transaction itself. You need to be using a desktop website to do so. 

Also, you might have bought something that was already in your ebay Shopping Cart but forgot about. Maybe it was sitting at the bottom of the page. If all the items are listed in the same currency, you will pay for them all with one checkout.

But I think it is that you are now set to auto-log into paypal from ebay. I have only ever noticed that box to 'check' on a mobile device. Some people may find it convenient but I like to do my own logging-in as a buyer, personally. That way it cannot happen if kids grab my phone and start online shopping without my permission. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I made 5 purchases on March 9 and 10.  Two of those went through without the usual login, but with a small box opening, a click to agree and an option to choose method of payment.  The other 3 were the usual redirection to PayPal, the log in, etc.  I could not see anything in particular about the 2 (odd) transactions that would lead me to connect them to a reason for the difference in payment prompts.  Perhaps eBay and PayPal are playing around (oh excuse me - I meant conducting research to make our experience better - Woman Wink Woman Wink) with the system again.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Now I 'get' what the Original Poster means. There was another thread about this; the person thought they were being phished http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/New-checkout-eBay-is-phishing-for-PayPal-password/m-p/3284...

Generally speaking, it's smarter for an organization handling money (like ebay+paypal) to tell its customers (you+me) ahead of time that they will be changing the checkout flow. So as to avoid this kind of suspicion. 

I keep getting messages from ebay telling me to update my account settings (or whatever) which I am expected to blindly comply with but on the other hand they go head and change the things we are all used to doing without warning and expect us to also blindly comply. These things are at cross-purposes. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply