Paypal temporary hold quwstion

I sold  item #301861293509 50 DIFFERENT PALESTINE & GAZA STAMPS to someone in Israel and he paid by paypal right away.

"We've temporarily put this payment on hold while we verify that it complies with regulatory requirements. We'll contact you about this within 24-72 hours.
To learn more, see PayPal goods or services regulations."

Is tat due to t he nature of the item, country of purchase or some issue that the buyer is having? Any ideas.

If I wait for funds to clear before mailing  is that when my shipping time clock starts to tick...or is it ticking now?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The clock starts to click when your buyer's payment clears.

I don't think the stamps are on the 'naughty countries' list with Iran/Persia, Cuba, North Korea etc, which have been embargoed by the USA. Paypal is a US company.

It is possible that the buyer is actually in Palestine/Gaza  with a shipping address in Israel, I suppose. That might be the difficulty.

Israel and Brazil are the two countries I don't like to ship to.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

is the payment marked as paid in eBay?  Whenever I've received simliar emails from PP the transaction is marked as having been paid so I suspect that in those cases, ebay sees the payment has having cleared already.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Well...when I went to check today it had cleared.

Speaking of "naughty countries" ...that is a mess. Sudan is one. But older material fro British Sudan (all the camel stamps) should be allowed but as soon as Sudan is in the title listing is blocked.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Here's the link to the embargoed countries, it explains there why they block everything too... even stuff before the blockade dates...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/embargo.html
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

"We don't permit the sale of items that claim to be pre-embargo because we cannot determine when an item was removed from a specific country"

Yep...confirms their solution is a mess!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Well the embargo stuff is complicated and risky so they want to avoid it. I avoid it too.

I know a seller from New Zealand who purchased Cuba stamps from a seller in Canada from a site in Europe and used PAYPAL to pay. That got them suspended in PAYPAL land for 2 weeks, even though the stamps were not in the us, sold to someone not in the us, from a site not in the us, but paid for via a payment system in the US..... it is not worth the risk.....
Message 7 of 7
latest reply