Please help cost to ship a computer from Toronto to USA east coast.

naeem
Community Member

The seller is in Canada and can not wait for a UPS pickup.

Canada Post is $65 but there are taxes and duties and other that might be extra. That is using inches and pounds for the size and weight. When cm and kg are used it jumps to $95.

UPS is alot lower but the seller can not be there for a pickup time as late as 6:30pm.

Fedex says they do not ship from the Canada zip code  L5C 3C5 to USA 28208.

I can ship a package to many countries with the worldwide shipping program and the postage cost is from me to Ky.

What about Canadian sellers and USA buyers?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Please help cost to ship a computer from Toronto to USA east coast.

Are you the buyer?

The cost of shipping is paid by the buyer, but the choice of service is the right and responsibility of the seller.

Of course, a sensible seller will consult the buyer if there might be some choices to be made.

Canada Post is $65 but there are taxes and duties and other that might be extra.

If both buyer and seller are in Canada there are no duties to be paid.

There would only be sales taxes if the seller is registered to remit sales taxes in the province of the buyer.

I can ship a package to many countries with the worldwide shipping program and the postage cost is from me to Ky.

Are you the seller then?

If the seller is in the USA, the best bet (and I may regret saying this) is to use the Global Shipping Program for shipping.

This is because a computer will be assessed for import fees by CBSA almost certainly if it moves through the postal system.

It will also certainly be assessed for import fees if it is shipped by UPS (or any other courier) and the courier's customs brokerage fee is much higher than that of either the GPS /Pitney Bowes (~$5) or Canada Post ($9.95)

GPS will charge the import fees before the seller even ships.

Canada's duty-free allowance is $20CDN(~$16USD).

UPS is alot lower but the seller can not be there for a pickup time as late as 6:30pm.

Apparently your seller is unaware that there are UPS shops that are open on weekends and may have hours that extend later than 6:30. But he will have to leave his house and take the computer to them.

The GSP uses several different shippers within Canada.

Usually this is Canada Post, but the courier CanPar has been mentioned fairly often.

If the recipient is not home when the carrier arrives, she will leave a Notice giving the time and place that the shipment can be picked up.

With Canada Post this is usually the local postal outlet with extended hours, seven days a week.

With couriers, this is possibly a UPS Store, but might be the central UPS terminal out by the airport with business hours.

Time is money.

It looks like you are the Buyer and that you are in the USA.

The GSP does not apply in your case.

The US does not charge duty on items valued under $800 USD.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

We are the buyer in N.C. and the seller is in Toronto. We are trying to get the lowest shipping to us. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@naeem wrote:

We are the buyer in N.C. and the seller is in Toronto. We are trying to get the lowest shipping to us. 

A USA buyer buying an item outside the USA and importing an item into the USA has an $800 USD import free limit so there should be no duty or local USA sales taxes due when it arrives by any shipping service.

What is the item and what are the dimensions and weight and what Canada Post shipping service is to be used? Also what is the listing item number? No way to give an answer without details.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@naeem wrote:

Canada Post is $65 but there are taxes and duties and other that might be extra. That is using inches and pounds for the size and weight. When cm and kg are used it jumps to $95.

This makes zero sense. Switching from imperial to metric doesn't alter the package's actual weight and dimensions, only the numbers used to express them.

Have you already purchased the item? If so, the shipping method should be what the seller stated in the listing, at the price listed. The time to bargain is before you buy. As a seller yourself, I'm sure that you know this.

@naeem wrote:

NO!

The postage that YOU see (and receive) is what it costs you to ship to Kentucky.

What the buyer actually PAYS is higher, sometimes a lot higher. I find it ironic that you're trying to get the cheapest shipping from a Canadian seller to you but are inflicting the GSP on your Canadian (and other non-US) buyers.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@naeem wrote:

The seller is in Canada and can not wait for a UPS pickup.

UPS is a lot lower but the seller can not be there for a pickup time as late as 6:30pm.

Fedex says they do not ship from the Canada zip code  L5C 3C5 to USA 28208.

I can ship a package to many countries with the worldwide shipping program and the postage cost is from me to Ky.  What about Canadian sellers and USA buyers?

The choices are limited if the seller wants the item picked up by the shipping company.

If there is big difference between inches/pounds versus metric (used by Canada Post for 40+ years) it means the measurements are wrong to start with.  Prices measured in inches/pounds with Canada Post usually are higher not lower (because of rounding errors).

Canada Post / UPS have a volumetric weight charge based on LxWxH of parcel. So a large box can be more expensive even if the actual weight is the same. CP formula: L x W x H in cm / 5000 equals volumetric weight in kilograms.

-..-

The Global Shipping Program is only available for the USA and the UK. The cost to the buyer is your seller price plus a GSP charge. For most parts of the world this is cheaper than sending directly, but for Canada it is often less expensive to the buyer if it's shipped directly -- mostly true for items under 4 pounds and worth less than $100 that can use USPS First Class.

-..-

Duties and tax: Import limits into the USA were raised from $200 to $800 earlier this year -- so as long as the computer is under $800US ($1000 CA) then you have no worries.

-..-

If your seller was willing (and it sounds like they are not) they could take the computer to a local re-shipping company (who takes it across the border to Niagara Falls/Buffalo for a small fee, then the package is shipped the rest of the way at USA domestic rates using USPS/FedEx/UPS). That's the closest some Canadian sellers have for a GSP.

-..-

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Are you trying to drop-ship as the intermediary an item that was sold through an American presence using the Global Shipping Program? If so, you have set yourself up for a world of pain. I would not recommend doing this. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply